“Tasty, good value food” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: British
Orpington
“Tasty, good value food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2014

Had dinner here on a Friday night, when there was a special offer of around £10.50 for two main courses. Food was really delicious and excellent value.

Really nicely decorated and furnished bar area to eat in. Was let down slightly by tables that hadn't been cleaned, and the atmosphere was a bit lacking and would have been so improved by some background music. Would have rated higher with these small improvements as then it would have been just about perfect. Nevertheless, a lovely meal.

Tonbridge, United Kingdom
“Alright - but nothing special”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2014

We stopped off in this lovely little town and decided to try The King’s Arms for lunch.

We were taken to a nice quiet room at the side, which had shelves full of old books lining the walls. It was good to have this option, as the main dining area was quite busy.

I had the jacket potato with cheese and beans, which was good, but they were quite stingy with the cheese and beans. Bakes beans really aren’t that expensive, so it always annoys me when you’re left with lots of potato and no topping to go with it. A bit of coleslaw on the side would have been a nice touch too.

My partner had the chicken burger, which was incredibly dry – he had to smother it in mayonnaise, though he said it tasted good once he’d done this. But to serve it without any sauce whatsoever seems a bit strange (there was a tomato salsa but you would have expected some sort of salad cream or something).

Service was fine – the waiter was obviously young and learning the ropes. But anyway this is just somewhere to stop off for a bite to eat. I wouldn’t come here for dinner, though.

• Visited January 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
“Disappointing food”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

I read some of the hotel reviews before deciding on coming here for lunch and although they were negative I felt that they probably related more to the hotel than the restaurant as I'd been a few years ago and had had a nice bar meal. The location was the perfect half way point for myself and some good friends.

I was pleasantly surprised by the refurbishment that had taken place since my last visit - the bar area really is lovely and we chose a raised seating area that felt quirky and cosy at the same time. The menu was quite extensive but we decided to choose the tapas option which included whitebait, haloumi and peppers, hoisin duck wraps and sausages. The whitebait were far bigger than I've ever seen and the oily flavour was unpleasant, there was no evidence of hoisin with the duck and the salad that had been put under most of the dishes was inedible, brown at the edges and limp. Out of all the dishes the prawns and the sausages were the best and we did let the barman know that we were unhappy with some of the dishes which he did relay to the chef. The chef said he would be taking the salad off the menu but we couldn't understand why it was served in the first place - surely whoever put it on the plate could clearly see it was past its best?

The barman worked really hard and seemed to be the only member of staff there, serving at the bar, waiting the tables and making teas and coffees - as a result service was slow.

I was so disappointed that the food did not live up to the fantastic new interior and what could be an absolute goldmine is being wasted.

My friends and I often meet in Westerham but I don't think we will be returning here when there are so many other top class restaurants in the town.

• Visited November 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Stevenage, United Kingdom
“If they had managed mediocre I would have been pleased”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

I would have been quite happy with mediocre as I just wanted to break a journey and have something hot to eat. Sadly they were no where near that good.
There was no one in the bar or restaurant at all to serve, I found 3 members of staff in the hotel reception who appeared amazed at my request for food and drink. They said they would try and find someone to help, and after an interval, one of the original 3 came back to take my order.
The menu was a generic, over long, bit of everything pub menu. I ordered the fajitas. When they arrived the chicken was at best overdone, much of it and all the vegetables were actually cremated and inedible. the bread wraps cold and un-warmed. Despite seeing at least 4 members of staff around, the table was dirty, no one checked that the food was ok and I didn't get another drink as the bar was soon deserted again.
This is a perfect example of the bad old days of British restaurants, expensive, inedible food with haphazard and indifferent service.

• Visited October 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Chester-le-Street, Co. Durham
“Ok, but could have been so much better”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

I was in Biggin Hill to celebrate my father's 82nd birthday and he suggested we go south to the King's Arms in Westerham (not to be confused with the King's Arms at Leaves Green to the north of Biggin Hill). We arrived on a Monday night when things were quiet, and I had high expectations since this is a Greene King house and in my home town the Greene King pub in the town centre is the best pub in the area. We paid £37.85 for three of us including drinks, which was good value, and the waitress was friendly enough. We had a choice from the set menu, and the three of us started with whitebait, and dad chose ham and egg with chips whilst my mother chose fish and chips (haddock), and so did I. Service was slow, especially for the drinks, the whitebait was fine, the fish was nothing special and dad;s egg was overcooked. Being 22nd of 24 as it is listed suggests it was bad, and it was not, but in this area standards are generally high and just being average makes you sink through the ratings like a stone. I would expect better from Greene King, a reputable brewer with some really good pubs.

• Visited August 2013