“Lovely location but over priced food!” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Gastropub
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
surrey, uk
“Lovely location but over priced food!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012

A large group of us visited the pub and I agree with one of the previous reviews as the food was surprisingly expensive for what you got!
The pub is lovely and in a great location as you can do a lovely walk nearby but the food was not up to the standard you would expect for £14 for a roast!
Even the kids menu was £7!
The portion sizes were not v.big and didnt seem to have much Veg.
Puddings were lovely and were quite generous which made up for it!
The pub did seem v.busy and we over heard them turning people away after we arrived so I wonder if they were running low on certain food!
Such a shame as I would go back for a drink but not to eat.

• Visited July 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

London, England, United Kingdom
“Has to be the best pub in the world”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

I have been visiting the Fox and Hounds for over 10 years very regularly. I always have an excellent time, enjoying great food, atmosphere and service. The same is said of my guests I invite, a recent example being my 30th Birthday for which a lovely buffet was organised in the bar area. We travel a good 30 mins to the pub from Bromley, simply because there is nothing better in the area.

• Visited July 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Bexhill-on-Sea, United Kingdom
“Overpriced for what it is.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2012

Personally I like the Fox & Hounds, but not having deep pockets unlike most of the locals I only go here occansionally.

One thing I will say in it's favour is that it is the most dog friendly place I have ever been and my little dog gets treated like royalty by Tony and his staff each time we visit.

Visited June 2012
“Warm, friendly, relaxed. Perfect all round.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I visit regularly and have never had a bad experience. After reading some of the reviews, I'm not sure they have been to the same place!

With reference to the post re: dogs in food areas, they don't allow dogs in the restaurant so I suggest you specify where you want to eat, my dog is always with us and is always very well behaved, unlike most children!!! And he doesn't put his feet on the furniture, most kids do!!!!

I think you should ignore the negative comments and visit, you'll have a warm welcome.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Surrey UK
“Prices gone up and now Dogs allowed in areas serving food!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2012 via mobile

Eight for Sunday lunch, booked in so no surprise yet there were! We we put on a table in bar with a dog water bowl under the table!Ugh! We all wondered what was to come?

The food was quite ok. We had a selection from the menu and some the Sunday roast. The beef was rather thick slices but our plates were cleared, we were hungry. A round of drinks for all and then a second round for the non-drivers plus a pud and we were £50 a couple. That was just too much for a pub lunch and we will not return for food again.

The landlord gives us the impression we are doing him a favour turning up. We really did not feel warmly welcomed but there you are.

We hate dogs in food areas, when will dog owners understand that? Probably never.

As locals we remember this old pub with much fondness, driving up prices is a business strategy that anyone has the option for his business but in the long term you lose local trade.

This pub is in a delightful location and attracts folk in good weather for the garden. Enjoy your visit.