“Reliable Quality” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Runcorn
Andover, United Kingdom
“Reliable Quality”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2014

No issues or problems with this Holiday Inn hotel. Rooms clean and service very good. Nice bar area to relax with pool table - If any improvement could be made, they need a local ale as the regular range standard in Holiday Inn (and HIexpress) gets tedious after several stays. The restaurant offered a good range and quality of food. Breakfast was also good. Everything I'd expect from a Holiday Inn.

Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Laura D, Manager at Holiday Inn Runcorn, responded to this review, June 30, 2014
Dear Mattgen
Thank you for taking the time to write your review regarding your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Runcorn.
I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay and thank you for your suggestion of a local beer to be available. This is something I will suggest to the food and beverage team.
I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Operations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Westport, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2014

the receptionist was great, the entrance lobby and bar area bland, the room ok but small, wifi ok a little difficult to access but good once in.
the restaurant staff were lovely both in the evening and the morning. the evening meal was ok, the breakfast was very good.
we will probably re-visit

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Mandr268
I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay, and will pass your comments onto the team regarding their service.
I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Hull
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

Stayed at the holiday inn on Saturday as part of an organised trip through a tour company.
I feel I had to place a review as at the time we didn't feel taken seriously by the hotel. Within the room the cupboard doors are clearly met to be screwed shut, although the room my mum and her friend stayed in the cupboard had clearly been forced open and as my mum open the door as you would expect to open a cupboard door the screw pierced the skin on her hand causing a significant bleed.
The cupboard was to say the least extremely dusty inside and written in the dust was a persons name and the date of August 2012, we are now in June 2014 although we can't prove it was this long since it had been cleaned it does make us question it. We do have the photos as evidence.
What concerned us the most though was the injury to the hand it was reported to reception on the Saturday night and again on the Sunday morning, on the Sunday we were informed management would be told but that was our only response luckily so far the injury doesn't appear to be infected but it could of been very difficult and the lack of response from the hotel feels inadequate.
Apart from the standard of the room everything else was absolutely brilliant and we had no further complaints.

• Stayed June 2014
Laura D, Manager at Holiday Inn Runcorn, responded to this review, June 25, 2014
Dear Laura282828

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments onto the TripAdvisor website following your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Runcorn.
Please let me take this opportunity to apologise for the overall dissatisfaction you experienced -the shortfalls you describe are not indicative of our usual service delivery, and as such your feedback has been shared with the Housekeeping and Maintenance Manager who I am confident will take the necessary steps to review their services and prevent any such re-occurrences. Unfortunately, Reception did not inform the Duty Manager at the time, if this had been done I am confident that you and your mother would have received the appropriate care. This I have shared with our reception manager to investigate with her team.
I do hope that your mother's cut to her hand is better, please pass my apologies onto her also.

Ayr, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2014

Recently stayed here 13.06.14 for two nights and although the staff are really lovely, friendly and very helpful the place could do with an injection of character in the decor. On arrival the reception area was very bland and stark, no warmth to it at all. The bar is painted in an orange colour and where I appreciate personal taste doesn't come into it it felt again bland and cold. The restaurant is modern looking but again minimalistic to the point of clinical. I'm not a fan of tat but a few pictures, warm welcoming colours etc wouldn't go amiss.

The bedroom and bathroom I had was on the small size and a bit dated but very clean and well presented. The bed was comfortable and I slept very well on both nights.

I ate dinner on the first night and breakfast the next morning and it was excellent on both accounts.

I didn't use the pool etc but my sister did and she said it was excellent, clean and the staff very good.

Thanks for a great stay and I would definitely stay again if i was in the area.

On another note, if you need a taxi use District as they were the only company that didn't try to rip us off with inflated prices just because Chester races was on.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Dear Rob W

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay overall, and I will pass your feedback on the decor onto the relevant people.

We appreciate you taking the time to pay compliment regarding your stay here and your comments will be passed on to the team.

I hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Risca, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014

As a an IHG Platinum Ambassador I spent a great deal of time in Holiday Inns and can honestly say this us the one with the most inconsistent levels of service.

I stay at this hotel when I have meetings in Chester and the level of service varies from excellent to non-existent.

I arrived on late on the evening of 17th June to find the reception unmanned (I'd just driven in excess of 200 miles). Upon the arrival of the receptionist I was directed to my room which should have been a double but which was actually a twin. I was too tired to ask for a different room so went to my (single) bed.

The next morning the service couldn't have been so different if they'd tried - excellent customer service with the offer of a free coffee, staff at reception and an efficient check-out.

Why the massive difference in service?

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Dear Duffer M

Please let me take this opportunity to apologise for the overall dissatisfaction you experienced -the shortfalls you describe on check in are not indicative of our usual service delivery, and as such your feedback has been shared with the Reception Manager who I am confident will take the necessary steps to review their services and prevent any such re-occurrences.
We hope to welcome you back and restore your faith in us in the future.

Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

On wanting to travel from Manchester airport rather than the local airport I needed a hotel to stay before flying rather than driving the same day. I made the booking without looking at the reviews (bad I know) but kind of in a hurry! After reading the reviews I was concerned I had made a mistake but by this time it was too late. On my arrival I was pleasantly surprised. I was greeted by lovely and polite staff who couldn't have done more for me. Check in was swift and painless. I decided to eat at the hotel rather opting for the two course option for £20. The room was facing a little stream at the back of the hotel. The room itself was pretty average and after all that's all I had paid for. The bed was comfortable with a choice of pillows soft or firm. The bathroom was clean although with much of the hotel, dated. The shower was alright did the job. Before dinner I decided to use the hotels swimming pool and accompanying facilities. The staff at the reception of the pool gave me the same excellent customer service as upstairs making sure everything was okay. The swimming pool was refreshing although again in serious need of updating (tiles discoloured). The restaurant was clean and relatively quiet whilst I was there. I was met by one of the restaurants waitresses who continued the polite trend. The choice of food in the pre paid menu was limited but suited me. I actually can't remember what I had (it was 4 weeks ago!) but it came very quickly was hot and tasted pretty good! In conclusion the hotel is in desperate need of redecorating but the staff are excellent, the food is good and it won't break the bank! I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again or recommend to friends!!

Room Tip: You really want a room looking over the stream...It was lovely.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Jay2934

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and liked our facilities.

I hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Burley in Wharfedale, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2014

Stayed for one night as part of a conference being held at the hotel. The check in was swift and efficient however once up to the bedrooms the fun begins. The bedroom was tiny, the bed was a double bed, fine for one but too small for two people. The air conditioning unit was excellent and had the room chilled down in no time. The bathrooms was again very small however it was clean and generally ok (probably recently been retiled.

I used the leisure club...oh dear. The equipment is very old, covered in dust and not well maintained. There isn't a great deal of equipment or room for that matter. The pool is small.

There is one restaurant called Traders and it is terrible. We ordered steaks and they were so over cooked you could re sole your shoes with them...very poor menu, very poor food and very slow service.

The bar is fine and there is a pool table

All in all, this is a very old hotel which needs some serious thought as to what it is trying to be.

I'm sure there is better in the area

Hope this help

Room Tip: Look elsewhere...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Dear TJBrooke

Please let me take this opportunity to apologise for the overall dissatisfaction you experienced -the shortfalls you describe are not indicative of our usual service delivery, and as such your feedback has been shared with the relevant departmental Managers who I am confident will take the necessary steps to review their services and prevent any such re-occurrences.
If you would like to discuss this further please email me, laura.derricott@ihg.com.
We hope to welcome you back and restore your faith in us in the future.

Operations Manager

Travelers are raving about these Runcorn hotels

Been to Holiday Inn Runcorn? Share your experiences!