“Beautiful setting” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Rochdale
Cullingworth, England, United Kingdom
“Beautiful setting”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

Myself and friend booked a twin room but were give a double room (thankfully we didn't mind sharing a bed). The breakfast was delicious with a lot of selection. The spa was fabulous (pool, aroma room, bio and rock saunas, steam room, ice igloo, hydro pool etc). The check out time is 12.00 which gives you plenty of time to enjoy the benefits of the spa before you leave!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Damon_YoxallH6631, General Manager at Mercure Manchester Norton Grange Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for your kind comments following on from your recent stay with us. It’s pleasing to note that you enjoyed your stay and I will pass your thoughts onto the rest of the team.
It’s always nice to receive such good comments and we look forward in welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Damon Yoxall

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
  • Polish first
Worcester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

Service was a bit lackadaisical and not pro-active, especially at arrival.
I have an Accor Platinum card for which I had requested an upgrade during the booking process.
No rooms were available, and that is fine, however, I had to ask: the information was not given to me directly.
Also, I had to ask for the complimentary drink voucher.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Yatton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

Staff v friendly and helpful. 2 weddings were on at the time but despite a busy day for the staff and our late arrival after restaurant had officially closed the staff stayed on to feed us which was very kind. The staff located our rooms away from the revelling wedding parties, although with teenage daughters music when we were still up wasn't a problem for us, but very thoughtful nevertheless. The spa was excellent. - loved the large jacuzzi pool which was really hot yet open to the outdoors; reminded me of the thermal spas in Italy. The spa staff were very friendly. Food was excllent ... had both lunch and dinner there. Breakfast time was nice to get some food cooked to order as well - kippers on one day and haddock the next. Would definitely come back there. Also recommended reasonably priced local taxi drivers for getting to the Etihad Stadium for the Muse concert and pick up at the end. Problems like the remote batteries running out were dealt with quickly and when room service sent not quite the right food we had ordered they did not charge us, which again was nice to not have to quibble at check out over the matter. Overall an excellen stay and we were well pampered by the end of it.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Peregian Springs, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

Stayed here for 3 nights Early May. Staff are charming, friendly and extremely helpful.
yes, the rooms at the front do suffer from road traffic noise, but we were reassigned a back room immediately we asked, so no issues there. breakfasts were excellent, as were the bar meals. drinks were very expensive - 5 pounds for a bottle of London Pride.
This is not a perfect hotel, but the staff are outstanding and we will definitely stay again when we are next in the UK.

Room Tip: Always go for the rooms at the rear, preferably at the end of the corridor.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest
It’s always nice to receive such good comments and we look forward in welcoming you back tot he hotel in the near future.

London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

My Hubby and I stayed at this Hotel to attend a friends wedding. It was a 3 night stay and the idea was that we all relaxed and not only enjoyed the wedding, but the whole bank holiday as well.

The Wedding itself was lovely, food super and no complaints there. However, I do feel that the hotel has 'lost its way' with regards to the general accommodation. Faulty Towers is definitely how I would describe it.

First off, there is no airconditioning in the rooms. We were given a ground floor room and because of Security, we were unable to open the windows. We asked for another room, and it was on the second floor, yes the windows opened but right onto the main road. The traffic noise was horrendous and for the first night I couldn't sleep! There is nothing on the hotel website that warns you of the noise. In fact it's described as 'tranquil' they are having a laugh.

I offered to pay for an upgraded room, but as they were fully booked with 2 weddings going on there we no other rooms available.

However, it transpired that those other guests in the wedding party that had already had the sense to book an upgraded room from the outset, didn't actually get what they had paid for! No robes, slippers, coffee machine, mini bar or complimentary water! However, they did get the luxury of a good nights sleep as these rooms are located at the back of the hotel and did not overlook the main road. Despite repeated requests by these other guests, they still did not get the 'extras'!

After a second night without sleep, I complained again and managed to get moved to a room at the back of the hotel, but as far as I was concerned the weekend had been ruined. Had we been aware of the road problem at time of booking, I would have booked a better room.

The Spa ran out of towels. My husband was told that he would have to take his room towels into the spa as they had none and that he would have to keep them to return the next day!

This is not a 4 star hotel. I have never had an issue when booking a 'standard' room, in any other hotel across this country or indeed the world. The attitude by the receptionists was 'well there are 2 weddings going on, we're busy'!!!

I am only grateful that the wedding was a success (for my friends sake) however this hotel needs to be honest with people when they book. I feel very let down by the Management and staff in this hotel and they have some very serious issues to deal with.

Room Tip: When you book, it seems that all the standard rooms are roadside! Good luck with getting a good ni...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you for your comments following your recent stay with us. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed the wedding and you weekend during your visit and I will pass on your comments to the team.
We do not have air conditioning in any of our rooms and do not advertise the fact, I am sorry that you encountered problems with the noise during your stay, we do have weddings on during most weekends as do try and allocate rooms so that the wedding guests are near the function suites and the reason for allocating you this rooms is because you were attending the wedding.

Berlin, Germany
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here on a business trip. Here are the problems that I faced.

1. After check on went to the room it was situated near the pool and stank of chorine!

2. I was given a new room, took a bath only to see there was no soap in the bathroom.

3. The wifi (which is free) was out of range - no signal in the room!

The staff did their best to please me but the problems are obviously due to bad general management!

Several other people where also conplaining whilst I was there!

• Stayed May 2013
Damon_YoxallH6631, General Manager at Mercure Manchester Norton Grange Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
Dear Guest

I did try to speak with you before you left the hotel to discuss some of the issues you faced during your stay. It is unacceptable that there was no soap in your bathroom and I have addressed these issues with my housekeeping team. We are in the process of installing fibre optic broadband and this will be ready to use by 14th June.

Regards

lancashire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

We bought a spa weekend deal with an overnight stay, £70 worth of spa treatments, 3 course dinner and a breakfast. Sounds pretty good, but it turned out that the deal is based on 2 people sharing, so it actually meant £35 worth of spa treatments each (even in case of single occupancy you will get £35 pp). On the check out we were given a huge bill for extra spa with no breakdown of treatments and when we started to go into more detail, it turned out that they included treatments we already paid for, and a discount of 20% (which was also a part of the deal) was never applied. It took us about 40 min in total to figure out the bill which was eventually reduced significantly. Spa facilities were good and so were the treatments, but the fact that they tried charging us so much extra really put me off.
There was no AC in the room and no cold water from the tap. It got really hot at night, our window wouldn't open more than 2inches, and was impossible to sleep.
I have to say the food in the restaurant and the service were really good and all queries were resolved immediately. Hotel staff were friendly and responsive, but the absence of AC and cold tap water in the room as well as the fact that they tried charging us so much extra for spa have over-weighed everything else. I would recommend more transparency and honesty in terms of their deals; misleading the customers will not win any friends.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent visit to the hotel. Unfortunately we do not have any air conditioning in any of our hotel bedrooms and we do not advertise the fact. I will investigate your comments regarding the Spa treatments with the Spa Manager, with all of our Spa breaks there is clear and concise information stating what is included in the package however I will review this to ensure there is better visibility.
It was pleasing to see that you enjoyed the food and service and I will pass on your comments to the staff concerned.

Damon Yoxall

Been to Mercure Manchester Norton Grange Hotel and Spa? Share your experiences!