“Spa Day” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Rochdale
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
“Spa Day”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

Bought a living social voucher for £12 for 2 spa day here. As we are both teachers we decided to book it for the first day of half term - we were a little worried it was going to be full of others with the same idea but it wasn't at all. The facilities were great - a proper spa with outside hot pool area, a few different heat/cool room, lovely pool area and great spa area for treatments. The building inside does feel a little tired - especially around the spa heat rooms ( a little peeling paint etc) but nothing a little tlc couldn't sort out!!

We both had a thirty minute back treatment which we were charged £35.00 for. The treatment was good and it was a proper 'spa' experience with candles and relaxing music. Because we were there on a living social offer we had 20% off the treatments, making it even better!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Donald_Stewart, General Manager at Mercure Manchester Norton Grange Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, October 27, 2012
Dear Guest
Thank you for your kind review. I will pass on your comments to the Spa team.

Damon Yoxall

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

I will start off by saying that the hotel was clean and the few staff I encountered were polite. However, the cost of eating at this place was very expensive and the food wasn't good enough to warrant the price. A cup of coffee and a red bull cost me £13! So I decided not to eat at the hotel. So you can imagine my surprise when upon checking out I was handed a bill with an extra £60 food bill! When I queried it with the receptionist she said she couldn't make a change without the manager there. Since I was checking out I was not prepared to wait so I asked her to show me the receipt I would have signed had I actually ordered the food on the night I was out eating with friends by the way! To her credit she soon realised that someone had given my room number for their food and drink tab! She still couldn't remove another bill of £5,50 from my tab charged again on a day I was not at the hotel to eat or drink! I'm not impressed with the fact that this could have happened in this day and age. I paid on the understanding that the 'manager' would call me back to discuss the issue and refund the last few pounds. Needless to say the manager never called nor did he or she return my calls. No one who I've met since hasn't heard about this. Pity. And certainly not the four star rating I saw when originally booking this! Oh, and did I mention the noise from the all-night party/music going on the in hotel!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Donald_Stewart, General Manager at Mercure Manchester Norton Grange Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review. I am sorry that you encountered problems with your bill during your stay. I would like to respond to the points you have raised, firstly for a coffee and a red bull the price is £6.50, certainly not the £13 you mentioned it was. Secondly I would have contacted you if I would have known there was a problem, I have questioned my team and they can’t recall such a complaint. Please feel free to contact me at your convenience to discuss this matter further and so I can refund you the £5.50 that had been wrongly charged to your account. Finally I would like to know how you can rate our food from the menu if you did not actually try the food, I know you mentioned that you thought the prices did not match the quality of the food but you actually did not try any of our food.
As mentioned please do feel free to contact me should you wish to discuss any of the above, I do like to sort out any problems before our customers leave the hotel as customer service is top of our priority at the hotel
Sorry for any inconvenience the matters you have raised may have caused.

Rochdale
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

Pint of beer and small orange juice £7.20. Small glass of wine £4.50, large one £6.50. The buffet of cold pizza and cold fries was awful. Bar staff useless. Avoid like the plague. People who plan their function here should not inflict this place on their guests.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Donald_Stewart, General Manager at Mercure Manchester Norton Grange Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, October 8, 2012
Dear Guest.

Our bar prices reflect the hotel industry norm. The food we put out on the buffet is always hot when it goes out; the choice of food is entirely up to the person who books the event.
Call me if you would like to discuss this in more detail.

Regards

Greenville, South Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

Stayed at the property for one night for business. An older property, they did have a nice workout facility and a friendly, helpful staff at both the front desk and restaurant. I did have a nice meal at the restaurant and the room was a good size, particularly for the U.K. Though I would not go out of my way to stay here if visiting Manchester, if you have business in the area it is a decent option.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest

Thank you for your comments, I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward in welcoming you back.

Rochdale
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

My husband and I celebrated our Ruby Wedding Anniversary on Sunday 23 September at the Norton Grange together with 103 family members and were absolutely delighted to have chosen this Hotel.

We had some lovely comments from our family – particularly regarding the buffet - it was wonderful and our sincere thanks go to their Head Chef Phil and his Sous Chef John and their team.

We would also like to thank their Events Co-ordinator Lucy and Ben (their Bar Manager) for their advice and assistance.

At all times, the staff were professional, polite and courteous and we would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel

We had a very memorable day.

Tony & Joan Poscha

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest

Thank you so much for your fabulous review. I will ensure that the rest of the team are told about your experiences.
It’s always nice to receive such great comments, congratulations on your ruby wedding celebrations.

Glenrothes, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

Very friendly and helpful staff,good location(booked as we were at the Man city Arsenal game) and overall enjoyable stay.Breakfast was enjoyable and plentiful, the pool and spa areas were excellant in fact one of the best I have experienced at a hotel complex.We enjoyed a marvellous nights sleep in a very comfortable bed. The only downside was the view from our room or more to the point the non view (looking out onto a 10 ft brick wall), although being an optimist it provided privacy and the fire alarm going off at 7.15 am and again at 8.05 am.Overall if back down that way again I would have no hesitation in staying again especially if I could pay £59 b+b pn again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Donald_Stewart, General Manager at Mercure Manchester Norton Grange Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
Dear Guest
Thank you so much for your great review, I am thrilled that you enjoyed your stay with us especially the staff, our great breakfast and fantastic Spa. I will pass on your comments to all concerned and hope to see you on your next return to the football.

Damon Yoxall

Been to Mercure Manchester Norton Grange Hotel and Spa? Share your experiences!