“This is the best Thai restaurant around” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #9 of 79 Restaurants in Wilmslow
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout, Delivery, Late Night
Description: May's home Thai cooking - top quality Thai cooking served in a relaxed and friendly atmosphere.
Stockport, United Kingdom
“This is the best Thai restaurant around”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

Have been to this restaurant many times but only twice in its new premises. Food is still excellent, service impeccable and the Bankok Saphire cocktail is fab - do try!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Wilmslow, UK
“Nice place, bland food.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

A really nice place, good service and the blandest Thai food I've ever had. It's not very authentic tasting despite the authentic ingredients they claim to use. I can do better myself and I'm from north Manchester. Pretty pricey too.
If Disney did Thai, this would be it.

• Visited May 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Leeds, United Kingdom
“The genuine taste of Thailand in the UK”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014 via mobile

We lovel Thai food and even more so after our recent honeymoon in Thailand, and we found our little Thai heaven in Chilli Banana.

We loved it from the moment we stepped in when we got a warm welcome from smiling staff, whose stylish outfits complete the elegant yet cosy decor.

We cant temember the name of the waiter who served us, but Murzynek Bambo (his nicknama) was so helpful with food choices and made us feel like we've been dining in the restaurant forever.

And finally the food... We ordered prawn fishcakes and satay chicken skewers for starters, followed by sweet & sour prawns and steamed salmon in curry sauce with stir fried veg. Words cant describe how AMAZINGLY DELICIOUS that was! We felt like we've been back in Thailand!!

We definitely recommend Chili Banana and we will be back for sure!

Aga & Thomas

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
UK
“A pleasant venue, serving the worst Thai main dish I've personally experienced.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

Located across the road from Heddy's restaurant on Water Lane, Chilli Banana is a badly named but warmly welcoming and pleasant venue. It is a shame that after a nice starter, I had such a dull and tasteless main and doubt very much I will ever return. The starter was a mushroom laab, which after spotting online and having several versions of previously (but not mushroom), I was looking forward too. The sauce was very nice, but the dish would be much better with flavorsome mushrooms, and served sat on a small portion of salad (which is what it said on the menu) or with some sticky rice. It went very much downhill from there. For mains I had drunken stir fry, with bean curd, lime leaf, and fresh chilli, along with egg fried rice. This was pretty abysmal.

When the dish arrived, and before I even had the opportunity to try it, it looked very unappetizing, just lots of floppy rectangles of supposedly braised bean curd, green beans (and not much else), and some just about visible bits of lime leaf and red chilli in a dull, almost aroma free sauce. The rice was no better. I absolutely love Southeast Asian food and eat it a lot, and this was the worst example I'd had of a Thai dish of any description in quite some time. Especially so after the nice sauce on the starter. It was dull dull dull, almost without flavour, and certainly without any aroma. The bean curd looked, and felt, like it had not been braised properly, either too quickly, or on too low a heat and the whole dish tasted as unappetizing as it first appeared when it was placed on the table.

I left almost half of it and put it to one side of the table and was asked by the smiling waiter when he collected it if it was too hot? I said it wasn't, but didn't say that it was just dull stodge and I had had enough. I asked for some Thai style dessert in an effort to resuscitate my taste buds. This consisted of some sticky rice with coconut sauce, mango (which could have been much fresher) and a scoop of coconut ice-cream from Cheshire Farm. The ice-cream was the best thing I'd tasted since the sauce in the starter, and I left pretty deflated. This is a nice venue, with good staff, serving the easily the worst Thai main dish I've personally experienced. And please sort out those fire alarms! They went off twice in the hour or so I was there, not fun when you are sat next to one.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Alderley Edge, United Kingdom
“Excellent food, excellent service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

We have been going to the Chilli Banana for many years and have always enjoyed the food. Steve and May have had great menus with Sunday buffet a terrific opportunity to try 'a bit of everything'. But, now they have moved to their new premises in Wilmslow, the quality of food has really gone up a gear and the choices on the menu are fabulous. Service too from Joy very good and we look forward to going back soon with friends.

ขอบคุณ to Steve, May and all the staff.

Jacqueline & Mike