“Mixed Bag but food was lovely” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Romantic, Families with children
Dining options: Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
Description: The Shalimar experience has always extended far beyond a simple meal. Pioneers of an authentic food revolution offering traditionally prepared Indian cuisine not previously attempted in the Cheshire area.At Shalimar we are determined to offer nothing less than the genuine article, the best authentic food possible with a menu that reflects the true culture and tradition of Indian cuisine.The stylish, contemporary and sophisticated decor creates the perfect atmosphere for visitors to indulge in an evening of excellence.So if you are looking for a relaxed and chilled out dining experience, head for Shalimar!
Wilmslow, United Kingdom
“Mixed Bag but food was lovely”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

Lets just start by saying the food was lovely which is what you want in a restaurant. But this is close to our home and close to a lot of great Indian restaurants so it needs to be just right. Our greeting was good but order felt a little rushed. The poppadums came very quickly but that was fine as we were very hungry. Unfortunately we didn't get to finish them as the mains came so quickly we were still eating. Don't get me wrong I don't want my food sat out the back going cold but they should judge based on what you still need to eat! That said the food was lovely and the initially cold waiter warmed up and the rest of the staff were great. They tried to take my food before I was finished too. It all felt a bit rushed but it was a lovely touch at the end where they brought some complimentary aperitif. We will be back so I hope next time we won't feel so rushed.

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Manchester, United Kingdom
“Good find!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

After desperately trying to find a free table on a Saturday night we almost accidentally ended up in the Shalimar and I am glad we did.
I had not noticed it before and got told (after I had asked the waiter) that it has been there since the end of last year- and it looked it; everything looked very new, very modern and tasteful.
We got seated straight away which I thought was very thoughtful as we had our newborn baby with us and did not really want to wait in the bar area.
Our drinks were brought promptly and the lovely waiter answered all questions to our satisfaction. When the food arrived it was lovely and the portion size plenty. We have had a mixed starter platter (amongst others), which was very tasty. I personally had a chicken shashlik main which was delicious, the other mains looked lovely too and I'd like to point out that non of us has been ill. Yes, the food is spicy, but that is to be expected in Indian cuisine.
The waiters were all nice and the facilities okay- I would have liked a baby changing room though or at least a place where I could change a baby as the place seemed very child friendly otherwise.
The only real negative point I could think of is the rather odd location for a place like this and I assume that would be the reason why it wasn't full on that occasion. I hope it will survive though as I had a very pleasant experience there and would like to go again.

Manchester, United Kingdom
“Great Food - Great Place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

This place only opened late last year, we made our first visit just a few weeks later & we've been 6 or 7 times since! The decor has been done very tastefully - it all looks great & the food & service is faultless. Reasonably priced too.
Negative..
The bar area as you enter looks great, it's nice to wait there if you're meeting friends but I'd rather go straight to my table. I don't want to be served my drinks there & I like to order my food at my table!!
Needless to say I will be returning again & again & again!
Could just do with being a bit busier for a better atmosphere, it always seems a bit quiet - i'm sure word will get round quite soon though.. suppose it's just time!

London, United Kingdom
“Disgrace”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

Within 3 hours of eating in this restaurant I was violantly sick approximately 14-15 times. The rice and tikka masala looked as if it had been re-heated and my partners supposed king prawn balti she actually thought was chicken. Certainly did not taste like prawn and by no stretch of the imagination did they look like prawns. To cap off an otherwise very disappointing evening what appeared to be the Head Waitor asked my partner whilst I was sitting there to "go back and see him the next night when I'm not around and he will look after her" and winked. Had the audacity to kiss my partner on the cheek when we left. Absolute disgraceful behavoir and one that I would not normally tolerate. The food was garbage and the Waitor totally unprofessional and a disgrace to waitors. The sooner this place closes the safer the public will be.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Wilmslow
“Lovely Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

We have visited this restaurant 3 times in the last month and have really enjoyed the food. Lovely clean and fresh atmosphere too- Good location.
The staff welcome you and really want you to enjoy your visit. Even a complimentary drink too! Well worth a visit.

• Visited March 2013