“Outstanding” 5 of 5 stars

$60*
and up
Ranked #1 of 1 Transportation in Ilford
More attraction details
Owner description: Original and best Tours of London in Iconic London Black Taxis by registered Taxi Drivers and guides.Tours of London for a few hours, half a day, all day. Tours of the countryside.Novelty tours, DOCTOR WHO, DOWNTON ABBEY, Harry Potter, James Bond, Sherlock Holmes, The Beatles, plus our unique Hidden Treasures London Tour.Reviewed in Sunday Mail Newspaper as: "The ultimate go anywhere, anytime tour company full of historical and anecdotal knowledge"
Glendora, CA
7 attraction reviews
“Outstanding”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

This review is a little late, but better late than never.

We visited the UK in September/October, 2011 for 4 weeks, driving from London to The Cotswold, to The Lakes, to Scotland, back into England in The Dales then back to London. One of the highlights of our stay in London was the Black Cab tour with Richard Liddle.

We found Capital City Cabs on the internet and then went to TripAdvisor. Before leaving Southern California we communicated with Richard several times via e-mail and telephone. He was very helpful with our planning. He suggested that we send him our planned itinerary and he made recommendations and suggestions about what we should do and see, not just in London, but throughout our trip. All his suggestions proved “right on”.

We took the London Day trip. We explained in our e-mails the things we wanted to see and our walking limitations. (We are 4 “senior” travelers, 3 in our 70’s and one in his 80’s). When dealing “site-unseen” via the internet, there is always a concern about the individual/company with whom you are dealing. Obviously, with this being our first trip to London, one of the things we wanted to see was Westminster Abby. Richard explained that we would probably want to spend one or two hours in the Abby and we should do that on another day, on our own, rather than pay him to sit while we toured. This gave us a good feeling that we were not being cheated.

Richard picked us up at our hotel in South Kensington on time in his black London taxi. He had obviously paid attention to our “wants”, as we got to see everything we listed and then some. Richard is extremely knowledgeable about his town and his country, both past and present. He explains the what, when and where of all the sites. We drove through London and stopped where (I think) we were not supposed to stop so that we could take pictures. Noting our ages, and assuming we were somewhat knowledgeable about World War Two, he took us to the Churchill War Room Museum. (If you are at all interested in England during the war, this is a must). An example of his tailoring a tour to the interest of the client.

We had lunch “down by the river” at an old Pub, saw parts of the London Walls built by the Romans and then to the Tower of London. Here, Richard made arrangements for two of our party to get wheel chairs, and he actually pushed one of them. In my opinion, far beyond the call of duty.

Enough of my babbling, you get the picture. I would recommend Richard and the Black Taxi Tours by Capital Taxi Tours VERY highly. On a scale of 1 to 10, I give them a 15.

Visited October 2011

Alexandria, Virginia
“The Best of the Best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

I took my mother and niece to London and Paris. They had never been either place, and we were in each city only 3 days. I wanted my mother to have a fabulously memorable trip, so I booked two full-day private tours for us in Paris and 2 more in London. We visited Paris first and had one good tour guide and one mediocre guide. Our first tour in London was abysmal. My mother was not looking forward to the next day. And I thank the Universe for Richard.

Richard met us at our hotel on time and catered the day perfectly to our tastes. Richard is perfectly British. He arrived impeccably dressed. He has a beautiful accent. And he drives a black taxi! He charmed both my mother and my niece, and he kept me mesmerized by his extensive knowledge of everything about everywhere we went. He had interesting and thorough answers for all of my questions. Richard is so personable that by the end of the day, we all felt we had a new friend!

He seemed tuned in to exactly what we would enjoy. He took us to the perfect pub in the Cotswolds for lunch. I had been to Oxford on three tours before, and Richard surpassed any of the other guides in his knowledge and his ability to entertain and teach my 80 year old mother, my 25 year old niece, and 60 year old me!!! Walking around Stonehenge with Richard had to be better than going with anyone else. He knew everything, including history, science, background, facts, folklore, and funny stories about incidents at Stonehenge.

My mother summed up our thoughts about Richard perfectly when she said at the end of our day with him, "Why didn't we have Richard for all our tours?" I assured her that we would go with no one but Richard when we return to England.

If you are planning a visit to London, you will be wise to call Richard for any of his standard tours or for any tour you want catered. He is personable, professional, attentive, caring, and ever so knowledgable.

Visited September 2011
Camberwell, Australia
47 attraction reviews
“The Best Tourist Guide in London”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

We first met Richard Liddle and his business Capital Taxi Tours - Day Tours via email in April 2010 after reading good reviews about him in American Express Magazine. We engaged him for three tours whilst we were in London at that time. I must say that I'm a keen fan of London Taxis and the tours we had with Richard in his immaculate London Black Cab were wonderful to say the least.
Our first tour was the London City day tour and we were impressed with his knowledge of the City and his expert guiding skills showing us parts of London that were not on the 'general' day tour route. Richard is unique in that he's a well qualified and authorised London Guide and knows a number of people which enables him to show his guests around parts of London that are usually off the tourist track and was excellent in 'guiding' us around the Tower to his day trip to Hampton Court and Windsor
We were due to go to London this June but had to cancel due to illness and we had booked Richard to do two day tours to Cambridge and Kent. I have no hesitation in recommending Richard Liddle and Capital Taxi Tours

Visited September 2011
FL, USA
“Excellent Experience - Highly Recommended”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

I can't speak highly enough of Capital Taxi Tours and our tour guide, Richard.

I had planned a trip to London - a city I'd been to on numerous occasions, but which my partner had never before visited. I booked a couple of group/coach tours to cover some of the main London sites for them, but also booked a Harry Potter-themed tour with Capital Taxi Tours.

Richard picked us up on time at our hotel in Westminster in his black cab. The tour was a half-day, during which we saw a host of filming locations from the Harry Potter movies. Richard was always able to offer interesting facts, information and insights. The tour was by no means limited to Harry Potter-related sites and locations, though, as throughout the day and drive around London we were constantly seeing and making quick stops at interesting locations.

The two of us enjoyed the tour so much, in fact, that we ended up canceling a group/coach tour we had scheduled later in the week, to book a second, full-day tour with Capital Taxi Tours. I found doing so more than worthwhile for a number of reasons. With Capital and Richard, we had our own black cab and could quickly and easily get to sites worth seeing, as well as park once there (black cabs get certain privileges around the city); with our own small group, we could easily go places larger groups could not; Richard is a registered guide and Blue Badge guide in London so we never found ourselves waiting in queues and he was able to walk with us through places and offer up as much information as any particular sites' on-site guides could (he really is a wealth of information); on large coach groups we'd found ourselves stuck, waiting on the bus or at a site for other group members to catch up, which doesn't happen when you have your own small group and cab; while we had sites we wanted to see and places we wanted to go, we were able to spend as much time as we wanted at places we found particularly fascinating, or customize our tour and experience as we went along.

The full-day tour was to Hampton Court Palace, at which Richard was able to walk throughout the palace and grounds with us and offer up interesting information, background and facts I just don't think we'd ever have been able to get in a large group setting.

A couple of years after the trip where we did the half-day Harry Potter tour and a full-day Hampton Court Palace tour, we took a trip to Scotland and Capital Taxi Tours was able to refer a great guide in Edinburgh who we booked a couple of full-day tours with.

I actually referred a coworker to Richard for a trip he took to London with his family, and they all thoroughly enjoyed their tours with him. Then, not too long after that, I returned to London with that same work colleague and some others on a business trip and we booked a couple of full-day tours with Richard on some free days we had. Everyone enjoyed them greatly.

Again, I can't speak highly enough of Capital Taxi Tours and Richard, and would highly recommend them.

Visited December 2011
College Station, Texas
“The perfect way to experience London and points beyond!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

Spent 3 high energy days with Richard Liddle as our private guide. His knowledge of London, surrounding sites, historical facts, along with his willingness to customize this adventure could not have worked out better. If you are like most tourist having limited time, these are the professionals you need to book with.

Visited May 2012