“Not the Franchisee standard...” 2 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #65 of 143 Restaurants in Ilford
Cuisines: Asian, Indian, Pakistani
Leicester, United Kingdom
“Not the Franchisee standard...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2014 via mobile

I'd prefer walking a little further down the road and eat at Vasanta Bhavan!!
The Food felt timed out as it wasn't served hot and we could make out that it was prepared a while ago...
Service was ok, but the credit goes to the gentleman who was waiting the tables as there was no consistency in the attitude of all the staff apart from this young man.
The only reason I would go back is to get the warm service with a smile from this particular individual who's name I don't know, but his face I do remember!!
Overall, food wise thumbs down for a big name...
Maybe, I chose a wrong day to go... Maybe I'm wrong, but it's usually the first impression that is important!!

Visited November 2013

London, United Kingdom
“Chennai Dosa 177 High St North East Ham - COLD FOOD”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

Chennai Dosa 177 *** Just a Short Review of this outlet based in East Ham- 177 High Street North, Road E6 1JB It was visited on 30/12/2013 . By my self and accominied by my wife and mother as a evening meal out after a long and eventful day.

As we heard about this Dosa outlet had non-veg facilities we throw caution to the wind.

We arrived around 8.30 pm Entered through the doors and was insantly HIT yes HIT by how cold the premises were INSIDE ! I had a T-shirt on with a winter jacket over the top My wife was wearing Two layers of clothing underneath her winter Coat ! same goes for my mother.

We sat down and and after a few minutes usually the trend is to relax and remove winter coats or a layer of warm clothing as my wife and mother already had 2 layers on They at first seemed comfortable so I thought about taking my jacket off too.. Not in this instance I could not eat at a resteraunt with a big winter coat on... luckily I had a " hoodie " as i keep as a spare!

I had to jump ship leave them two and grab my hoodie came back in sat back down and ordered our food..

2 x Chilli chicken starters to Share, and 2 x Chilli Paneer Dosa and 1 x Chicken Masala Dosa 3 x Miranda cold drinks Totaling atleast £20.76..

This is our typical Dosa experience favorites combination of sorts.

However on this occasion we chatted amongst ourselves and commented it felt like a golden arches fast get yur food and get out of here type of place and laughed and joked about it!
We formentioned to the Staff in a passing comment " its kind of cold in here " After waiting for about 10 minutes the evening looks promising with the " starters " being the 2 dishes Chilli Chicken plates, shared between 3.

Which arrived out on metal plates on top of metal taals * unkin to trays * on top of looks like Granite finish hard work top tables I re-checked with the staff prior to this that the main Dosa were to be held back ..

Starting to feel the down hill turning point, The 2 x Chilli Paneer Dosas arrived 5/7 minutes into the starter.. and then the 1 x Chilli chicken masala Dosa, followed about 2/3 minutes after..

Now usually we would be happy with that sort of timing as any one would be.

By the time we had completed out Starters, We delved into the Dosa`s how ever noticed the lack of HOT food, Sambar was luke warm, and the combination of Fillings were also LUKE warm!! By that time we had started to actually feel hungry so the craving was to eat !
Almost half way through our meals we all had become hesitant to carry on as the ability to enjoy a meal out was now on a down wood spiral ! My mother complained to one of the waiters that the food was cold and getting colder.

His resulution was to bring out a serving of Heated up Sambar.

With this we had to coat the COLD Dosa to make it edible in the Cold environment! at this point we refused to drink our order of Cold Miranda ( orange ) drinks, one of them being a Fanta ( orange ) and asked the waiter to take them back, after a few more minutes we all had to pause and struggled to carry on eating.

My mother and wife at this point almost shivering whilst eating,
This also started to affect my ability to eat properly as the cold started to get to me also. We all stopped before completing our meals and asked for the Bill, we all just wanted to get out of the place, as it seemed colder than a fridge! More like the temperature outside the building!

So Bill payment time, My mother mentioned once again to the staff member that the food was cold and in a nice way " awful " he left to get the bill and arrived with the full bill £18.71 which included a small 10% discount for the cold meal minus the 3 x cold drinks which we had returned earlier.

At this point I approached the " Manager " and said to me ok just pay £18, however i had mentioned to him that was not good enough as the only part of the meal that was of satifactery quality were the 2 starters which totals at £9 for the 2 plates. And had seen we had returned almost 1/3 of our main dishes back each ( all the way through this pollava - in his language it seemed he was questioning his staff why was the food cold on this serving etc etc ) .

I mentioned also that a complaint would be put in, and his answer was "We/I can only have 10% to give". So at that point I gave him a £20 note and expected £2 in return but recieved £5 - we would spend almost double that amount in most resteraunts its NOT about the generosity of the manager.

But about the service to start with and the improvments that they can make to not only their customer service but also the premises as to add warmth and HEAT the food up and a way to keep it warm.

Please feel to contact me or if you feel different about this review then I`m not going to be swayed away from my Review on the Night that we had frequented this establishment. P.s My wife just mentioned to me that the Toilet facilities were in need of a thorough clean.

• Visited December 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“value for money”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2013

it was overall good but cant expect for fine dine. you cant expect a very good atmosphere but the food is good for money

Visited December 2013
London
“Excellent food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

Have loved food here , very good value for money.

If they have more space it would be nice. We had to wait for a bit as well.

Visited October 2012
“Fantastic indian food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013 via mobile

Whoever crazy about idli, dosa and south indian chutneys this is right place to eat. Great value for your money and especially sambar is mouth watering and it goes very well with dosa and idli and I love it. I recommended this Restaurent for everyone who tries new and looking for good food.

• Visited June 2013