“Ideal for that special celebration.” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: English
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
West Sussex
“Ideal for that special celebration.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013 via mobile

We ate here with friends for a 65th birthday celebration. The menu is limited and initially I was worried but chose soup to start & confit of duck for main. Although bread was put on the table, I did not get any with my soup which I found a little odd. The main dish was lovely, the duck fell off of the bone. My husband enjoyed coffee pannacota as a dessert. This was delicious. Friendly staff. I would recommend it, especially for a special occasion.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

London, United Kingdom
“What a find!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

Superb food and good wine list. We were really impressed and will certainly visit again when in the area. Compliments. To the chef.

Visited June 2013
“Great reviews but slightly disappointed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013 via mobile

A friend found this place by chance and a quick look online and at reviews all looked very positive. Attempted to get a table mid week at lunchtime before and was turned away as fully booked. Undetered we pre booked and ate there today. Having seen the sample menu online we were already salivating. However the menu we were presented with today was no where near as exciting as the online sample menu. We chose the scallops and had as a main rather than a starter. The scallops were very bland and slightly undercooked and the courgette fritter was a little unnecessary! As scallops on a nicely dressed salad served with bread would have been simple and tasty enough. So we were slightly under whelmed by our main course. My dessert was nougat ice cream and a rhubarb compote. The ice cream although home made had a slightly mousse like slimy texture and again lacked flavour. The rhubarb was lovely. The service was not slow but not overly attentive either. Staff were friendly. I'm afraid I think this pub for a lunch time menu is extortionately priced for 2 courses and a couple of glasses of wine and coffee was a staggering£89!!!!!! Won't be going back in a hurry. There are far nicer places to eat in Horsham which are better value for better quality food. Sorry Chequers Rowhook but I was disappointed.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Dorking, United Kingdom
“The best steak in the South East”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

I've visited Chequers numerous times, always greeted with a smile and very friendly service.
I usually opt for the steak cooked medium rare, comes out from the kitchen exactly how I expect it perfect temperature & texture it breaks up in your bite just as it should do releasing a delicious taste of local cow! I'm sure this plate is enough to turn any Veggie to a carving knife...

Beautiful scenery, Great atmosphere, lovely hosts & good pricing, what more can you ask for in a country pub?

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Liphook, United Kingdom
“Excellent food and service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

We met up with some friends here as it looked halfway between where we each live. We had an excellent meal with very good service considering it was very busy.

We sat in the "pub" dining area which is a separate room, very rustic and buzzy, but they also have another dining room which was more modern and slightly quieter.

We will definitely be going back.

• Visited May 2013