“Dreadful Place - Avoid.” 1 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Chinese, Japanese, Asian, Thai, Indonesian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Bray, Maidenhead
“Dreadful Place - Avoid.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013

Food - average.
Service - poor.
Karoake - brilliant. And there's the reason for going .... and if you're with a decent bunch of people you will enjoy it (as I did).

The service is very very bad. We attended as part of a birthday celebration with our 9 year old daughter. Unknown to us, there was no checking by management to ensure that vegetarian kids were given only vegetarian food ... which is a big thing if you don't eat meat/fish. Unfortunately, we found out the hard way, when it transpired that our daughter had unwittingly eaten fish (why would she know what meat/fish looks like given that she has never eaten it?).

Worse was to follow when the waiter became aggressive and very defensive, didn't apologise and sought to blame others totally failing to take responsibility. His manager was good and handled the situation well in that he at least apologised. The fact that my daughter was extremely upset over all this and we were at someone else's birthday party stopped me from walking out. A mistake had been made - no problem - but it was seriously exacerbated by the attitude of a single waiter.

Apart from that, the food was ok, though I have eaten vastly superior Chinese (plenty of good Chinese in Northwood, Pinner & Stanmore), drinks were fine and the Karaoke was excellent.

The negatives far out weigh the positives and I would avoid this place.

• Visited December 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

London
“Great food and service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

A little above the average Chinese food, but good nonetheless and what a fab variety. Eat here with confidence.

Visited October 2013
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Great Food and Great Restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

Went here on a Saturday night. Staff very pleasant and understanding when we were running late and changed our booking. The food here is great and really nicely set out on the menu into regions instead of the usual chinese under headings of type of meat or sauce. The place doesnt use MSG so the food tastes light and fresh and not stodgy and fill up like some cheaper chineses can.The service was polite and although a bit slow, it suited us as we werent in a rush at all. Shame about the gaggle of "yummy mummys" in the corner who spoke loudly about their offspring and achievements etc for the entire meal and onwards.
All together a brilliant meal and a thoroughly enjoyable evening. Definitely a return visit, not sure what they can do about the louder clients!

• Visited October 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
London
“Avoid”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

I have lived in Pinner all my life and visited nearly every restaurant In my 26 years. However the one that Ii have never visited is L'Orient and now I know why.

My firsts impression was how the restaurant was like an Aladdin's cave as we were seated in a back upstairs room with two other couples.

Eventually we were given the menus in a plastic display case (alarm bells start ringing when I get a menu that has been printed and popped in a 5 year old clear display case) where we were left to order drinks. They on,y do one glass of White and red by the tap (more alarm bells)...but to their credit they took our drinks order fast and brought them to us within 10 minutes.
We were asked if we had been here before, to which I responded no so the menu (laid out in cuisine by the day) was explainined so we were able to order anything. 45 minutes later we ordered. 20 minutes later we were informed our starter of duck had sold out. 15 minutes later my boyfriend found a staff member to place the starter order with.

Meanwhile we are starving, have some vague apologies from the two waitresses looking after a restaurant of 50. Meanwhile the couple next to us who finished their starter 30 minutes previously bite the bullet and leave without waiting any longer for their main.

Eventually our starters turn up...chicken satay which was like chicken nuggets on a skewer and bland vegetable spring rolls.

20 minutes later our table is cleaned and I I ask the waitress how long until our main...'not long' I politely ask for an accurate answer due to the length of time we had waited for any morsel of food. 15 minutes later our food arrives.
I am presented with fried lamb fat in lettuce with coconut rice that tastes of nothing. My partner has a curry which was supposed to be the hottest on the menu and was bland.
I called over the man who may or may not have been the manager and showed him my food and told him that greasy animal fat is not what I ordered. That I don't. Want anything else I just want the bill.
My main was removed from the bill, but yet we still paid £40 for the worst restaurant experience I have been to!

Somehow this place has survived in Pinner for some time, but the food is awful, there is no service from management and they have exploited the two waitresses who are forced to run around to every table in the nook and cranny of the Aladdin's cave. I will not ever return.

• Visited September 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“Lacking but enjoyable”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

I have been here a few times now, but wanted to write a review as it would be nice for this place to pick up a bit. Each time I have been there it has been very quiet. Hardly any patrons. It is a very pretty, olde English setting that serves Asian foods. The menu choice is very wide, but could do with more vegetarian options. Lovely setting like I said, great to just stay for hours and have wine and catch up with friends, but the food needs to be more inspiring. And something ought to be done to bring in the customers of an evening, to give it more ambience. Enjoyable.....

• Visited November 2012