“OK for one night” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in Harrow
Wiltshire, UK
“OK for one night”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2014

The hotel was selected as there was free parking, convenient for the Tube into London and very reasonable rate. We arrived too early to check in but were able to leave our car in the car park and case with friendly reception staff.
When we returned after 11pm we checked in and retrieved our case. Our room (133) faced the road but, as this was a dead-end, was not too noisy. A large comfortable bed was welcome but the furniture was dated and shower rail rusty. Carpets on the stairs were quite grubby.
Breakfast was not great but cereal and toast also available.
One benefit was that we were able to leave our car in the car park until mid-afternoon while we went into London.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Hotel Manager C, Guest Relations Manager at BEST WESTERN Cumberland Hotel, responded to this review, January 30, 2014
Dear Janerobbo,

Thank you for your review. I am delighted to learn from your feedback that you were satisfied with your stay and found the hotel prices to be reasonable.

It is always helpful to hear feedback, good or bad, from our guests, and though you mentioned the standard of a particular area’s carpet, I am pleased to say that we will be soon replacing the carpets in all our public areas.

We hope you come back to see the changes we are planning!

Natalie Smith-Ford

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Preston, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

My rating is based on price & setting. I did not expect magic in Harrow, near London but the hotel provided a comfortable & convenient base for reaching the centre by public transport. The hotel is a bit of a rabbit warren but once I had found my room I was quite satisfied. Free parking was pleasing.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB

Hotel Manager C, Guest Relations Manager at BEST WESTERN Cumberland Hotel, responded to this review, January 21, 2014
Dear colinsills,

Thank you for your review.

I am delighted to learn from your feedback that you were satisfied with our location, services and facilities.

I would like to express my gratitude to you for having chosen our hotel and I hope to have the opportunity in welcoming you back in the near future.

Portsmouth, Hampshire
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

I stayed here with a friend as it seemed Central for our evening at O2 seeing Micky Flanagan recently. Had I known the hotel was like 'fawlty towers' I would never have considered it. We checked in and were given our key, no mention that we were then required to climb many narrow stairs to get to our annexe room, which was unhelpful. With a large case and a shoulder injury this was not the best start - no lift was available as we were in the rafters and as far from Reception area as possible. I have never stayed in a hotel that had furniture so worn and damaged, it was a disgrace. Carpets were stained and had seen better days and we had a BRICK WALL between our two single beds which was the strangest thing. Only one of us could watch tv in bed if we had wanted to! Furnishings were badly scratched and grubby, and mismatched. Roller blind in tiny high window had no cord to roll up. Ensuite bathroom, well! Never seen a room layout like this, sink was at end of bed so outside of 'bathroom' which consisted of a claustrophobic shower and toilet. No room to dry yourself after a shower, and after using the toilet you had to go outside to wash your hands. There was an extension lead under bed near tv with cables trailing everywhere which looked dangerous and unsightly. Breakfast was dire, no friendly or attentive service. Dried up and shrivelled or grease laden food sat beckoning ....but acter first night stay I decided I would settle for safety of mushrooms on toast. Arrived on day two, to find no mushrooms and a grubby hand written piece of paper placed on toaster saying 'Out of Order' and when I asked the young waiter if something was being done about the lack of a toaster, he just said 'no' and walked off! There is a Debenhams 50 yards over the road where a temporary toaster could have been easily sourced to provide guests with something safe to eat at breakfast. My friend and I stay away in UK at leasr once a month and have stayed in some amazing, comfortable, clean hotels and this hotel falls far short of any idealistic retreat. My first stay in a Best Western hotel and will be my last. Advised hotel of issues with my stay and got generic 'Thank you for your feedback' response, nothing more. If you have any standards at all, AVOID THIS HOTEL.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Hotel Manager C, Guest Relations Manager at BEST WESTERN Cumberland Hotel, responded to this review, January 9, 2014
Dear Guest,

I would like to convey my most sincere apologies for your disappointing experience.

I regret to learn from your feedback that we had no chance to change your perception of our services during your stay with us. We are always keen to receive our guest’s feedback and strive to find a suitable solution for any shortfalls.

I hope you will give us the opportunity of restoring your confidence in our property.

harrow, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2013

Location is very good, five minutes walk to train station plus good shopping centers nearby. However, very claustrophobic room, no descent size windows, Stand up shower felt like old ages, hot and cold water regulator non functional.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB

Dear Muhammad A,

Thank you for your review. I am very sorry that you did not enjoy your recent stay with us.

BEST WESTERN have recently been running an ad campaign on TV promoting ‘Hotels with Personality’ distancing the brand from the generic purpose-built hotel blocks you find with other brands in favour of individuality and character. As a result bedrooms in many BEST WESTERN hotels differ in size, I am sorry to read that you found the size of your bedroom, and windows, to be smaller than expected.

On a positive side I was delighted to read that you found the hotel’s location good for the train station and for shopping.

Cwmbran, Wales, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2013

I stayed here with 3 of my friends when going to watch an afternoon concert in the O2 arena. The price was a bargain at £80 for a room sleeping 4 people. We arrived at the hotel at 11am, check in is at 2pm. We asked the lady on reception if we could check in earlier to freshen up before the concert expecting to be told no, however the staff were very helpful and allowed us to check in early. The manager personally showed us to our room, however the key didn't work as we were early. She was very apologetic and was rushing around trying to find a member of housekeeping for another key....there was no need to apologise as we were putting them out.

The room was clean and spacious. The bed was not the most comfortable and the t.v would not turn on but it was fine for a one night stay. We asked reception for more bedding for the sofa bed and it was delivered within 10 mins of requesting.

It is a five minute walk to the nearest tube station. Was easy to find and the hotel allowed us to park there free of charge the entire day after we checked out.

Overall I would recommend this hotel a brilliant price and excellent customer service. Thank you to the staff.

• Stayed December 2013
Hotel Manager C, Guest Relations Manager at BEST WESTERN Cumberland Hotel, responded to this review, December 19, 2013
Dear Guest,

It was a pleasure to read such a wonderful review of your experience at our hotel. I am delighted that your expectations were met and I will share your kind comments with all the staff.

Thank you for choosing to stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

MERRY CHRISTMAS & A HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

Battle, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for in October 2013. The hotel had a slightly dated feel about it, but comfortable all the same. We wete disapoint to find that the daily specials in the bar were on for a week at a time. That is ok if you are the just for one night, but after several nights of the identical "daily special" it became boring. Sever very good restraunts nearby though.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dear Peter & Alison

Thank you for your review.

I am very sorry that you felt the hotel looked slightly dated. The hotel is in the process of updating the older decorated bedrooms and we will be refurbishing the public areas early in the New Year.

With regards to the daily specials, unfortunately we have recently changed the daily specials to weekly specials so that guests checking in during the week don’t miss out on some of the other tasty dishes on offer.

Thank you for choosing to stay with us. MERRY CHRISTMAS & A HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

Natalie Smith-Ford

Been to BEST WESTERN Cumberland Hotel? Share your experiences!