“Had a lovely time..” 4 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added BEST WESTERN PLUS Grim's Dyke Hotel to your Saves list
Orbitz.com Booking.com
BEST WESTERN PLUS Grim's Dyke Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Old Redding | Harrow Weald, Harrow HA3 6SH, England (Formerly Grim's Dyke Hotel)   |
Ranked #1 of 11 hotels in Harrow
London, England, United Kingdom
“Had a lovely time..”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

I booked a £99 dinner, bed & breakfast deal, and had a room in the 'old' part of the hotel.

I was advised that as there was a 'Murder Mystery' night that I'd have to access my room via the fire escape that evening, but that was fine as I'd requested this room specifically.

The hotel grounds and building are charming. Check in could've been a tad more welcoming, and the lad that showed us to the room (and offered to carry the bags) forgot to mention that one of the light switches was the 'master' power switch so we were literally in the dark until we found him again lol!
The room was a tad dated, but spotlessly clean with a HUGE bed that we found exceptionally comfortable.

Dinner was great, but the service could've been a bit faster initially - Staff were focussed on catering the 90 guests for the event in the main hall upstairs.
However, once we'd got the maitre D's attention it was excellent. Food was lovely, and the ambience was charming too!

We paid an extra £2.95 each to have breakfast delivered to the room - It was cooked wonderfully and delivered bang on the time requested!

We had a few drinks / snacks in the bar. It was a very relaxing experience and the bar staff were really friendly and generally great at what they did. When it was quiet they would bring drinks to the table and just went that extra mile - I was very impressed.

You'd never think you were so close to Watford and feel as if you're in the middle of nowhere - Great for a quiet getaway!

Overall a total bargain for the price as you feel like it's actually a much more expensive experience!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

302 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012 via mobile

Just spent a great week end celebrating hubby's birthday with all our family members. Good meal, comfortable rooms, helpful staff. Good week end parking at Harrow and Wealdstone (£1 on Sunday and £5 Saturday) and non stop trains into central London taking 10 minutes. We will return.

Stayed November 2012
South East
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I stayed at the Grims Dyke Hotel while attending a wedding there.

It's a beautiful venue for a reception with incredibly lovely grounds which made for a picturesque setting for the photos and a lovely drinks reception in the garden and grounds.

The food was excellent. It's very difficult to prepare food for a large number of people and serve everyone so as to keep it all hot and appetising. I was very impressed with the quality and presentation of the food. The staff during the reception were efficient and helpful.

I had a room in the garden annexe and I would agree with previous comments that they are over priced. The rooms are a bit shabby, the bedding was a bit thin and they are charging more than the rooms are actually worth.. I understand the rooms in the main block are nicer but they are also more expensive. That said everything worked and the room was perfectly clean. Service was basically fine.

The breakfast was in contrast excellent. It was freshly cooked to order (which I always like). There was a range of cold buffet options and good coffee.

As I was attending a wedding and only really wanted somewhere to sleep afterwards the hotel was fine. I wouldn't have a problem staying there again if I were attending a function there, but I wouldn't choose to stay there because I like slightly more luxury for the price.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Newport, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

The main building was previously home to Sir William Gilbert, of Gilbert & Sullivan fame, and some of the architectural features were outstanding if the decor was a little 'tired' in places.We were located in the Garden Lodge rooms and it was warm, comfortable and quiet, a perfect place to relax during a busy weekend. We had an excellent meal in the main restaurant on Friday evening, again the character in the decor and features were very nice, we had a table that was almost a part of a very ornate fireplace !!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
london
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

Thank you to Claire Donovan and her team for making our day very special. As we are a more mature couple we did not want anything to extreme and Claire helped us get exactly the day we wanted. Excellent food wine in a beautiful setting couldnt ask for anything more.

Room Tip: did not stay overnight so cannot comment on rooms
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Peterborough, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

The grounds and main building are lovely. Easy parking, good breakfast. But

I think it is over priced, the £108 best price for a garden (not main building which are more expensive) including breakfast is just too much. I think £70 to £80 would be more reflective ...the rooms are nice ...but not that large or luxurious.

What really bugged me was the inflexible approach by check in staff re a slightly late check out. I requested,( on a slow weekday night), to check out at 12 noon rather than 11am ...and the South African receptionist basically said I'll need to pay an extra £10 for even 1/2 an hour more. I was shocked that such a nice hotel was trying to wring out extra money like this. Good quality hotels dont ask for extra money!! I stayed at the Hilton a couple of times recently ...'an extra hour ...no problem sir' even the neaby M1 Days in gave me an extra hour without trying to charge. The receptionist was rather patronising when I pointed this out ...'well you will need to pay ...so you go of and have a think about that why dont you' I did have a think about it and had a very frank exchange with the duty manager ...who reluctantly gave me the extra hour for free .....but completely missed that I was also trying to help him see what a short sighted mean policy this was .....placing the hotel below a Days In re customer service....

Room Tip: I expect they are all the same.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Newcastle-under-Lyme, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

We stayed here overnight on 15 October. The hotel is easy to find and in a very pretty location. The reception is difficult to find and did not reflect a four star hotel. We had a garden room which was well equipped and clean but decor was a little shabby in places. The room was also cold as the heating was not working. However, this was fixed straightaway. The food in the restaurant was fine but the carpet and furnishings in the restaurant reception had definitely seen better days. Staff were efficient and friendly. Overall probably better than average but needs some refurbishment to be considered very good.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Grim's Dyke Hotel? Share your experiences!