“Bed bug infestation” 1 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN PLUS Grim's Dyke Hotel

You added BEST WESTERN PLUS Grim's Dyke Hotel to your Saves list
BEST WESTERN PLUS Grim's Dyke Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Old Redding | Harrow Weald, Harrow HA3 6SH, England (Formerly Grim's Dyke Hotel)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save up to 50% off stays!
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Harrow
“Bed bug infestation”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2011

Looking at the ratings of Grims Dyke in harrow, it seemed good. Driving up to it, it looked picturesque. Checking in, it didn't look or smell 4 star as ratingis suggest. Receptionist was nice. Going to the 'Executive room' that we booked, again, smell wasn't particularly fresh in the hallway. Going in to the 'Executive room', it looked aesthetically clean, smell wasn't particularly fresh in the room either but the Tweed style carpet immediately came to attention: looked like it needed to be changed. At 5.00 am I woke up to a darknbrown beetle crawling up my leg, made my skin crawl, went to chuck it out the window but it fell on the floor, looked down; 2 more on the floor.
Went to the bed; 2 more baby pink ones on the cover, looked at the pillow another on the pillow; a bigger brown one came out of the pillow. Chucked the pillow on the floor. Checked under my partner's pillow; a medium pink one there. I didn't sleep after that, tried to wake my partner but he was fast asleep. Then half woke up and said we'll tell reception in a few hours and fell asleep.
At reception when I asked if this was an 'Executive room' and was told yes, I relayed my experience with considerable dismay. No discount or refund was offered. I had to say I'm not happy to pay for the room, the receptionist did get the duty manager, who asked if I'd seen any bugs that morning, I told him no (if he knew about bed bugs, which he later claimed he did as he did this kind of checking in other hotels, he would know they only come out at night when attracted to warm bodies and hence the blood) Then said he could only give me a £20.00 discount, I said ''not even 50 %''? No, as he had to wait for the manager to be back in a few days. I called the hotel in the evening to inform the duty manger of the 3 bites on my arm and one on my face, he said he and the Maintenance manager had checked and found nothing, at which point I him what rendered him qualified to come to the conclusion there was nothing in the room. Then he said they would get someone in to check the room and that environmental health or their pest control contractors had a 4.00pm appointment with them to come and check the room. The next day I had 27 bites on me, excruciatingly itchy without scratching them and getting sore. When that duty manager phoned me to update me on their apparently internal investigation they had started, it was to say that the 4.00pm appointment had been cancelled by pest control or environment health. I informed him quite firmly that I would NOT be paying for that room and making a claim to my credit card company and that I had to go as the lady from environmental health from the council who I had called earlier was calling me back.
When he called me back he said he was waiting for someone to turn up at 4.00pm to check the room which he previously said was the appointment that had been cancelled. Then he offered me a 50% discount on the price of the room, I refused to accept this and again said firmly I will NOT be paying for that room, at which point he then said he would give me a refund. I got my refund. Went to see a doctor who said it was the worst case he had seen in the day. Will NEVER be going back there again.

Room Tip: Find alternative hotels.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2011

Can't comment on the accommodation as we haven't stayed here yet but we had our civil ceremony here and the service from all the staff was absolutely wonderful and they truely went out of their way to make sure we had our fairytale wedding!

Thanks!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Dunblane, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2011

I needed a hotel for an overnight stay while visiting London for a family funeral. I had intended to use a motorway services travel-lodge but googled the Harrow area and was intrigued by the name and history attached. Price was very acceptable, location was ideal and the opportunity of decent food instead of motorway fare appealed. I was not disappointed on any of these points. The room was excellent and the staff were friendly and helpful.
I arrived via the M40 and found it easily. I suspect it is even easier from the M1.
My only disappointments were the weather (too wet to enjoy the extensive gorunds) and the fact that I could not stay longer.
I intend to use it again when next needing accommodation in London.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Folkestone
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2011

My daughter and i stayed here,for the Take that concert in July,and very glad every where else closer was already booked.Its a gorgeous place very very picturesque.We were very glad it wasnt too hot however as no airconditioning,and the breakfast buffet could have been more plentiful, but considering the price paid was still very good value. We will return when we are this way again!!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2011

What can I say about this hotel apart from it was a marvelous experience.

My husband and I weren't sure where to stay but we stumbled upon grims dyke by mistake and wow, we didnt regret it at all. Food was good but nothing special. Managers were ok too. The hotel and its garden were terrific though and we took many pictures.

But we have to compliment the barman Vincent for his impeccable service and manners.
Theres a pleasant atmosphere surrounding him and he really does go out of his way to help. We will be back;

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2011

My wife and kids loved this place when we stayed six weeks ago.

The food was spot on and so was the service. My main problem was the lack of disability amenities which can be off putting at times. However, the service more than makes up for it, especially the barman named Winston. He was the most helpful out of the all the people there and due to that alone, we would be back for sure.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2011 via mobile

What can I say!!! One of the best value hotels I have ever stayed in. I brought the room as a place to stay after visiting wembley for the England vs Holland game and also to go into London the next day. Due to the riots the game got cancelled but we got to enjoy the hotel and I'm very pleased we did.

The grounds are beautiful and we enjoyed the woodland stroll. The main hotel was stunning, only shame is that we stayed in the garden lodge not the main hotel.
This was still cost, clean and had a lovely view of the gardens.

We ate in the Gilbert restaurant, wow!!!!! A three course meal was £16.95 but we were given freshly baked rolls with compliments and a soup appetiser compliments of the chef. The food was gorgeous...with an a la carte menu worthy of fine dining. Well deserved of it's awards! The service was also polite, professional and curteous. We were very impressed.

We had a lovely time here and the beautiful surroundings and great food eased our disappointment in the match being cancelled. We will definitely be visiting again and would recommend it to anyone for any occasion, a stop over for a London visit or a romantic break away!

• Stayed August 2011

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Grim's Dyke Hotel? Share your experiences!