“Clean, Comfortable and Great Value” 4 of 5 stars

The Inn on the Lake
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Shorne, Gravesend DA12 3HB, England   |
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Gravesend
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
“Clean, Comfortable and Great Value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

I have stayed here on 2 occasions in the past 6 months and have not been disappointed. On each occasion stayed one night en route to Dover to get the ferry to Calais France.

Booked a room online and was delighted that it included breakfast which was a full English and all for around £50 for 2 people. Check in was hassle free and Staff were helpful and courteous.

The rooms are clean and comfortable and the shower is good and hot. The Bed was comfortable and other amenities in the room included tea and coffee making facilities. The bar is OK with a good selection of drinks and offers a menu which is very good.

Overall, great hotel for an overnight stay that offers superb value for money that takes some beating. I will be staying here again later in the year on a planned trip to France. Would recommend without hesitation.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Kevindemicoli, General Manager at The Inn on the Lake, responded to this review, July 4, 2013
Dear Guest

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for staying with us again at The Inn On Lake also for sharing your nice comments

Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
Oxted, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

This place is stuck in the 1970's. Our hotel room stunk to high heaven of smoke we had a view of the a2 and the cleanliness of the rooms leaves a lot to be desired.
May I suggest at breakfast they have some sort of supervisor on duty as cold juices run out three times so did the hot water urn and no bread for toast had to keep asking for it to be topped up surely somebody should be monitoring these essential things when the room is full to capacity of people trying to have breakfast . The staff are really young with no idea !

Room Tip: Choose another hotel !!!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Kevindemicoli, General Manager at The Inn on the Lake, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
First and foremost, I would like to apologize for our belated reply. I was truly astonished when I first heard about your complained that occurred during your stay

I would like to assure you that this was an isolated incident that has been looked into very seriously as we implement very rigorous controls with regards to our restaurant & housekeeping. However, this is no excuse to justify what happened.

I can only at this stage apologize and very much regret the inconvenience that you suffered on the day. A series of circumstances led to poor and slow service

I assure you that these comments will be passing and discuss between myself and my Directors as we started refurbishing the hotel to ensure that we continue improving the hotel standards and also to drive our hotel to a higher level of service.

Operation such as ours performance is not constant and on occasions require a good number of staff; the bulk of whom are part timers with not much loyalty to their post. All staff go through a period of induction and training with our restaurant manageress to ensure that they understand our requirements and present themselves well. Some are quick learners and enjoy their work, while others are in it for the money only.

Meanwhile I assure you of our best attention

Once again, allow me to apologize once again

Norwich, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

We had a lake view room it cost a bit more but was well worth it for lovely view and away from noise of A2 traffic. Staff were very friendly both on reception and in the restaurant. The food was
nice and not too pricey and breakfast which was included in room price was very good. We would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Lake side rooms are quieter and a more pleasant outlook
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Clevedon, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

After being shown to our lake view room with a beautiful view, we were disappointed to find we had been given a double rather than the requested twin. We were offered a standard room overlooking the car park, and adjacent to the A2, as there were no other twins available lakeside. We were, however, pleasantly surprised to find that the traffic noise was minimal and as we spent very little time in our room it did not affect us greatly not having a view of the lake. The service provided by the reception staff on our arrival was excellent and after moving rooms, a refund was done immediately for the difference between lakeside and standard and the receipt brought to our room.

The room was clean and quite adequate, with hot drink making facilities - always appreciated! One thing which was raised by my mother was that she had found it difficult climbing into/out of the bath when taking a shower as there was nothing to hold onto. It is suggested that maybe a hand rail on the wall or bath would be useful.

On our first night we ate in the bar and found the meals to be ample and good to eat. Breakfast was buffet style for cereals, fruit salad, yoghurt, juices and toast - unfortunately, no marmalade was available but there were plenty of other jams plus marmite and honey. There was also porridge but we didn't try this. Our order for full English was served quickly and was very tasty! Our second evening we ate in the restaurant which served the same meals as on the bar meal menu but with additional choices. We both opted for the curry of the day which, again, was tasty and plentiful.

Overall I would recommend this hotel although with just a couple of additions (and ensuring that the requested room format is allocated on arrival) it could be excellent.

Room Tip: Lakeside rooms have a better view at a small premium but if you are out and about this is not really...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Kevindemicoli, General Manager at The Inn on the Lake, responded to this review, June 29, 2013
Dear Guest

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your comments and sharing your experience about our hotel

Management
Stourbridge, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

Booked around August 2012 for family wedding in June 2013. Bride wanted all family to stay in the hotel so we booked a family room that consisted of double bed with adjoining room with 3 single beds in as there was 5 of us staying, 2 adults & 3 children. As this hotel was hosting the wedding reception I was expecting something wonderful, I was wrong.
On arrival I thought it looked quite nice. On entry reception wasn't the best but they were busy. We didn't view our room til later in the evening as we had the wedding reception to attend which looked beautiful with the setting of the lake, the food was great along with the organisation.
We went to our room which was at the furthest end, you couldn't go any further on the second floor. On opening the door the heat hit us, the heating was on!! We went straight in and opened the windows of which the handles were extremely loose. I noticed the bed looked very small for a double and still believe it is actually a queen. There was also a camp bed set up in the same room. In the adjoining room were 3 made up short single beds. There was 5 of us so I am not sure why we had the extra camp bed unless this wasn't meant to be our room. Laminate flooring was OK apart from single beds sliding over it if not careful. The bathroom had dated towels, rubbish behind the toilet as well as the nice dirt build up at the base of the toilet. On the bathroom door there was what possibly could've been a coffee spill that hadn't been cleared up. The wall paper was peeling off in a couple of places and when we sat on the `double` bed it was rock solid.
My husband complained to reception. Jason who dealt with us was very nice. He said he had a room on the ground floor for my husband and I and if we liked it he would find us a room for the children. A family room had been booked, wasn't up to standard so they want me to be irresponsible and put my children in a separate room possibly on a separate floor! So we refused this option and asked him to sort the heating we would make do.
After an awful couple of hours sleep, not just due to the solid `double` bed but due to there being a voile covering over the adjoining rooms windows so my kids were up as soon as the light started flooding in from the daylight.
We went to breakfast to be greeted by a woman that didn't look like she could crack a smile. Breakfast on a whole was pretty good, but we were shocked that when the tables were cleared a brush was used, wait for it, to sweep the crumbs on the floor!!!!!!
On departure my husband went to reception to complain. One of the best assets is Wendy she is so nice and is wasted there. She took our comments slip to pass on and said we would be called the following morning. Tuesday still had heard nothing so my husband called and spoke to the manager. He said he would look into it. I emailed all our complaints and photos that I had taken. I have received an email today saying that it will be looked into and they will respond to me within 14 days!!!
They took the money £130 from my card 2 days before our due stay for one night yet it takes up to 14 days for them to look into this. Family run business I've been told and word of mouth recommendations, it won't be getting a recommendation from us.
Hotel needs major revamp. If it wants 70`s decor then fine but clean up and make it look loved. Perfect for wedding reception, really can't fault that at all.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Essex
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

We stayed there with friends on a Saturday night
From the minute we arrived the staff lied about the rooms avalable
We booked an upstairs lake view room they gave too the couple in front of us and said
Although you booked an upstairs room
I have 0 left so down stairs only
I asked for a manager and then she said here's our last upstairs room
Lies or what
Then we ordered some drinks for room service waited 50 minutes
Called again and then they came in 10 minutes
Watched the queen cabaret what a joke worst show ever
Then @ 130am the key card didn't work so back down stairs we went to be told it was our fault for putting in a pocket with a phone!!
Then at 9 am the fire alarm went off and we went in the passage to be told by a blonde staff member
Laughing its not a fire or at least I hope not!!!!!! Ha ha ha
Then ordered breakfast which was taken fast
Waited 45 minutes and others who sat down after us had eaten and left
Asked what's the hold up
To get told
The order slip fell on the floor
And was left there and walked over by staff so I put at the top of the pile your next!!!!
Spoke too the acting manager
What a joke that was
I can pass your complaint on
But you have too pay now
Then got an email from them saying
Thanks for helping highlight with our staff issues
Not refunding you etc etc bye
This is the worst run hotel I have been too

• Stayed June 2013
Kevindemicoli, Manager at The Inn on the Lake, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Thank you for your recent review on trip advisor.
Unfortunately we do not guarantee the position of the rooms on booking, although we do try of fulfil any special requests. You do not mention the fact that you were given an upgraded family room on the first floor, at no extra charge.
I would like to apologise for the wait for room service drinks, but I believe you were told that the bar was very busy and there may be a delay.
Our key cards have a magnetic strip on them, and sometimes this can get demagnetised if they are placed near a mobile phone. The receptionist on duty did not say it was your fault, he just tried to provide you with an answer as to why this occurred.
There was a fire drill planned at 9am, and a notice had been placed at reception. The housekeeper knew that it was a drill, and she was only trying to be friendly when she spoke to you, and make a small joke with you. I now realise that that was a mistake, and I have asked her to be more careful as to which guests she speaks to in the future.
I am very sorry for the delay in your breakfast. Your order was lost, and this is totally unacceptable. I have made sure that the restaurant manager is aware of the situation, and he has assured me that it will not happen again.
I am very sorry that you were not happy with your stay, but I do feel that most of the points you raised were simple misunderstandings rather than bad service from my staff.
St Albans
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

On arrival on a Thursday evening at 7oclock the car park was almost full - with a large number of commercial vehicles. On speaking to the receptionist she said that most are regular guests who book in from Monday to Friday as a base for working in London. Didnt have any problems and most we came across seemed to be in smart corporate clothing.
The bar area reminded me of a public bar in an old fashioned pub - lots of small square tables dotted around - the restaurant area was the same - basic covered tables and padded velvet chairs. However, the staff were friendly and efficient and the food was uncomplicated but plentiful and reasonably priced.
The reason we stayed there was because we had used the hotel a few times about 30 years ago - the feel and look of the place is much the same !
Thursday night is salsa dance night - we could hear the music until about midnight and then for a while after people making their way back to rooms. The walls were pretty thin.
Breakfast was good - help yourself buffet then a choice of hot meals.
All things considered for £60 for two people for bed and breakfast pretty good value.
Would I stay here again - probably not.

Room Tip: Ask for a lake view room away from the area where the music is
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Inn on the Lake? Share your experiences!