“Lovely hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Goole
East lothian
“Lovely hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

I have just spent three nights at The Lowther with my husband and I would like to pass on the following info to future visitors. The hotel is not set in the nicest of locations but that should not put you off. here is plenty of on street parking or also behind the hotel. the hotel is very clean and has obviously been refurbished in the past few years. The room was very nice the sheets were spotless and the bed comfy. we were provided with a fan due to the very hot weather. the breakfast was very good with a large choice on offer. the staff were all very helpful and obliging and were very keen to offer a high standard of service. here is a public bar which was nice for a quiet drink. Goole was a good base for local attractions we visited the railway museum and the Eden camp and travel there was not to tiresome. I would certainly stay at this hotel and I am rather particular about cleanliness etc so that is a huge recommendation. Thank you Lowther for a lovely stay.

Room Tip: Very good value this would be a good choice if looking in this area.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Gillingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

This hotel was booked by a colleague whilst travelling on business mid-week - what a good choice. Made a pleasant change from the non-personal Premier Inn type hotels.

We were greeted by a friendly team and our overnight cases, laptops, coats etc were taken to our rooms. My room (207) was very spacious with a large comfy bed. The bathroom was small but modern. My colleague's room was slightly smaller but with a large bathroom (room 202). The guy who took us to our rooms (possibly the Manager) was friendly and enthusiastic about the history of the hotel/area.

We ate in the restaurant and the food was first class (the best chips ever!). The desserts are worth a try too. The hotel has a cocktail bar which would have been rude not to try! Although the hotel was very quiet, being mid-week, I imagine the bar is lively at the weekends.

All in all, a very pleasant stay and I would definitely stay there again - even on my own which I often have to do on business.

Room Tip: 202 has a large bathroom
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013 via mobile

All crew members love to do what they are doing. Unlike superstore staff who have those forced out smiles. Best atmosphere ever! Me and my colleagues were delighted to stay in caring company of these great people. Anyone who wants to feal real dedication to customer service should go and visit.

• Stayed June 2013
SE UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

The boss of Premier Inns recently revealed their plans for growth in a static market - by taking share off the independents. So here we are at an independent hotel.
The good news is that the rooms are excellent with the best tea tray anywhere and fabulously comfy bed, the staff are friendly, the WiFi is free and the breakfast omelette is awesome,
The OK bits include the restaurant, which doesn't quite know if it's a pub grub emporium or a proper restaurant. Huge portions of what I suspect were reheats were quite tasty and the cost was very reasonable. The location is unusual - right in the middle of the docks area. Despite the odd surroundings the views from the rooms over the docks is actually rather pleasant.
And then the "opportunities for improvement." At the moment they are niggles but management need to be careful or the number of days there's only one guest at breakfast will increase. To pick a few: The most worrying was that the secure, but secluded, car park was left open all night - park on the road which is covered by CCTV if you can. As I say, the cooked breakfast was awesome but the rest of the breakfast was underwhelming with no bread, toast, croissants, yogurt or all the other things you'd expect for twice the price of a Premier Inn. And then we come to the bizarre reception desk. The rest of the hotel is really nice but this looks as if it was picked up from the set of Fawlty Towers for a fiver. The operation of the desk continues the theme - filling in a handwritten form with your name, address and credit card details (after the receptionist has laboriously keyed in your name and address on the computer) belongs to the 1970s. And you need to ask for a proper receipt, which will be printed on the slowest printer in the Western world, when you check out.
This hotel is 5 minutes from the company I was visiting. My colleagues (typically half a dozen at a time) routinely stay in the Marriott in York - a 30-40 minute drive away and marginally more expensive. Lowther Management need to ask themselves why they do this.
One last point - as other reviewers have commented, there seems to be a policy of putting you as high up as possible even when the hotel is near empty. As far as I could see there's no lift to the bedrooms. The ground floor is accessible but, if you're disabled and planning to stay overnight, I'd check on the availability of a ground floor room.
I've rated it highly as the rooms are superb and the staff are friendly. The food is good for the price and the location is interesting. It is well worth a visit.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

hotel is very clean and newly refurbished. Rooms are comfortable, have all the usual amenities for a hotel of its own range. Breakfast is very good and could be tailor made to whatever you desire as the chef is very flexible. The restaurant's menu is rather unusual but food comes in good size portions and reasonable price. Overall service is quite good. Actual building of the hotel is quite old with sometimes squeaky flooring in the rooms but that's little discomfort compared to what it has to offer

Room Tip: If traveling alone go for the single bedroom because the size of the bed is good and it is cheaper t...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
York, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

Pleasant and clean surroundings. The waiter was polite,helpful and attentive.The food was good with very generous portions and well presented.
For starters we had Garlic Mushrooms with melted cheese and a chunk of lovely bread- it was excellent and very filling. We ordered salmon for our main course but the waiter returned to apologise that they had none but there was Sea bass which my husband chose. I selected lemon chicken which was fine. However most dishes were served with chips and salad.I ordered new potatoes and seasonal vegetables but it came with chips and salad!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Driffield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

when my man told me he was taking me on a romantic night away i asked where to... when he replied GOOLE i thought OMG.
how wrong could i have been, when we are arrived we were greeted by very friendly staff, who kindly asked if they could take our bags up to our room, entering our beautifully decorated and immaculately clean room, the super king bed was so comfortable, the bathroom was lovely, very peaceful room, cocktail;s in the voodoo chilli lounge was served to us by very friendly staff, the food in the restaurant well what can i say... the best tastiest and well presented i've ever had delicious,my sweet was to die for, a very good night sleep, there was a good choice at breakfast, a full breakfast was my mans choice and he thoroughly enjoyed, excellent value for money, and i can't wait for my man to take me back to GOOLE....

Room Tip: room 202 very quite
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Lowther Hotel? Share your experiences!