“Brilliant welcome, good value, clean and friendly” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Bowmans Hotel

Bowmans Hotel
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Goole
Bowmans Hotel
You added Bowmans Hotel to your Saves list
Bridgegate | Howden, Goole DN14 7AE, England   |
Ranked #3 of 9 Goole B&B and Inns
Hornchurch, United Kingdom
“Brilliant welcome, good value, clean and friendly”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2011

Having arrived following a long car joureny from Hornchurch, we were made very welcome and had been placed in a room far away from the bar where entertainment was booked for the late evening, so we wouldn't be disturbed by loud noise. Returning from dinner later, the entertainment ahd just started and was brilliant. We stayed until the end fo the performance. I have no hesitation in recomending this hotel as clean and friendly with a good full English breakfast

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Howden, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2010

Checked into hotel, requested single room but only had double, payed £50. spent the evening with 2 friends in the bar. At the end of the evening went to the room with 2 friends to collect my laptop, half way up the stairs a man (who turned out to be the manager) yelled "oy what the hell are you doing" i tried to explain that we were going to get something from the room, he replied that he didnt "give a [--]" that he lived here and he didnt want people walking around the place, he told my friends to leave immediatly and told me to go to bed ( I was not intoxicated, we were not loud, one of my friends was drinking cokes all night) instead of asking politely that my friends wait downstairs, this man treated us like we were criminals and had the cheek to tell me when i should go to bed. I went downstairs and requested a refund, the woman at the bar said that she couldnt check anyone else in, she said that I cannot have a refund and I can either go upstairs to bed now and my friends can get out or I can leave with no refund. I opted to leave and stay at my friends house for the night as I was appauled by how they treated us. Absolute waste of monney will never stay there again.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled solo
LesleyMSlater, Owner at Bowmans Hotel, responded to this review, January 7, 2011
Absolute fiction. Guest was unhappy that he was not allowed to continue partying in his room with two 18 year old girls once the bar was closed. There was no intention of collecting anything from his room, they were attempting to go up to his room with drinks after the two young ladies had been asked to leave.
His argument that he 'had paid for a double room so it was his to use as he liked' was not a valid argument and again the girls were asked to leave. The guest chose to leave with them, this was at midnight after he had used the facilities of the room so no refund was given.
No apologies will be given for zero tolerance with abusive guests. We have worked hard over the last year to ensure all guests have a comfortable stay and will not allow abusive loud behaviour to disturb this. The previous reviews from the last 12 months speak for themselves.
Lancashire Cyclist
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2010

(The) Bowmans in Howden was another good find – run by a young couple who were gradually re-furbishing the place bit by bit. Very reasonably priced & a great Indian restaurant (or Tapas bar to choose from), again good value. Big Room, Deep bath with loads of hot water. Secure cycle storage. Lovely & warm

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
East Yorkshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2010

Stayed at the Bowmans on Saturday 6th March. Had a great time and the staff went out of their way to be really friendly and helpful. Great location in the centre of Howden with plenty of restaurants and bars nearby. Had a great nights sleep. The room was spotlessly clean although could do with a refurb. We understand from the owners, who only took over late last year, that they are going through the hotel refurbishing one room at a time. If the standard in the downstairs ladies toilets is anything to go by it will be done to a very high standard.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Durham
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2010

Location - Centrally located in Howden so easy to take a walk through the town.

Staff - Very friendly, most helpful, socialable and nothing was a problem to them.

Pub - Good customers who made you feel welcome. A good night socialising with the locals and other residents.

Hotel Room - Tidy, clean, spacious and comfortable. Powerful shower.

Breakfast - The full English and very tasty too.

I stayed for 1 night (Sunday) and it was great for my needs as a business traveller. That's not to say it is a business hotel only, it would be fine for a couple of nights when touring. Everyone I met, staff and customers were extremely friendly and would stay here again if I was to be back in the area.
The tariff was very reasonable which included full breakfast. (Standard rate for single was £30 but I got it for £25).

Well done to Lesley and Clem for their efforts. Good luck for the future.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
nottingham
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2009

We wanted to tour howden and surrounding areas and wanted a local hotel to stay, having found the Bowmans we decided to have a bite to eat b4 booking a room, we ordered two sunday lunches as they advertised that they were home made and a couple of drinks, staff seemed frendly enough but under neath lurked another side.
Our food started to arrive first the plates came out with beef, mash, roast potatoes and yorkshire pud, then a minuet later came the gravy boat but no veg this followed 2 minuets later, we got stuck in only to find the roast potatoes were frozen pre cooked, the beef i use the word lightly was more like stewing stake and the yorkshire pudding was soft and luke warm and the gravy was more like p**s water, if this food was home made/cooked then they forgot to season it as well.
We approached the waiter that took our order and asked if we could speak to the manager or chef when asked what the problem was we stated that this was the worst meal we had ever had to this point another young lady appeared and asked if we could do better, before we had chance to reply a young man appered could he b the manager or even the chef, his responce knocked me for six his reply to our complaint was and i qoute " if you dont like it [--] and go and eat somewere else" all we wanted was to be offered something different or even a refund but because of this young mans attitude and stance we decided to cut our losses and look for somewere else to stay.
Its a shame that Howden is such a nice place that it is spoiled by that fowl mouthed man and the rest of his staff LET THIS BE A WARNING TO ALL AVOID THE BOWMANS AT ALL COSTS because that is what will happen it will COST YOU

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
LesleyMSlater, Owner at Bowmans Hotel, responded to this review, October 12, 2009
We would like to announce that we are the new owners, as of 25.09.09.
We would also like to offer assurances that we recognise good Customer Service as being paramount to our business and our staff have been trained to promote this to all guests and customers.
We will do everything within our power to ensure guests have an enjoyable stay, in clean and comfortable en-suite rooms.
Any reasonable requests will be actioned immediately.
A new menu is available from 19.10.09, prepared by our own Chef.
All rooms are above a bar, with Disco's on a Friday and Live Entertainment some Saturdays.
We hope that future reviews will reflect a much brighter future for The Bowmans.
Many Thanks
From all at The Bowmans
Frog around the world
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2008

The Bowman Hotel, situated in Howden, is to be avoided !
Maybe it was the worse room they had, but here is what I experienced : a tiny room with a tiny bed, broken lights in the bathroom, broken curtains, falling wall paper, electric plugs out of the wall, TV cable worn out and hanging, bin full of the last customer's rubbish, very noisy (pub underneath and generator noise all night), view over the parking and the smoking area, and very strong toilet smell (probably from the pub underneath). People seemed friendly at the start but became rude and short when I asked if I could change room or replace the light bulbs.
Full story :
I booked in at 8pm and was led to a tiny room with a tiny bed (1m60 length 70cm width). The room smelt strongly like poo (not coming from the bathroom though, most probably from the pub toilets underneath) and I could hear the music and voices from the bar. I asked if I could get a larger room, even if I had to pay extra. I was told that the hotel was fully booked. I wasn't looking for anything fancy and thought that if I could get the window opened and get rid of the smell, it would be alright. I opened the curtains to open the window and discovered a lovely view over the parking and the smoking area where people from the pub where chatting. The window only had a tiny opening at the top, and it was freezing outside. I had to leave it opened though, the smell was too bad. It got really noisy too, as I could hear the people and the music from the pub. On top, there was a generator sound, like if you had an old washing machine on. I went for dinner but they don't serve it. They asked me if I could pay the hotel by cash. I agreed and went out to find some dinner and withdraw the necessary cash (30pounds for the night). When I got back at the hotel, around 10pm, I paid. Then I went to my room and wanted to have a shower. But the two lights in the bathroom wouldn't work. I went down to ask for bulbs to replace the lights, and as the hotel manager was mumbling and getting annoyed by my request, I offered to change the bulbs myself. She sent a man to check my statement, which he did, and then told me there was no bulbs anyway. So he asked if I would be alright like this, and as I showed him the broken TV and plugs and curtains, he said they would not charge me for the room. I thought that was a fair gesture, and that I would make an effort by using the less I could in the room. In the morning, after a fairly horrible night (cold, bad smell, noise) and no shower, I went down and asked for my refund. I was told that it wasn't possible because I paid by card. When I said I paid by cash, I was told that it wasn't possible anyway because I used the room. I explained the situation and said it wasn't fair as they had told me they would. But then I was told that I hadn't stopped complaining since I got in the hotel (couldn't believe that, I had even offered to change the bulb myself !!!), and that if I had someone to complain to, it was the people who had booked for me !!! (how would they know that there was no lights, no space, noise, broken TV, broken plugs, broken curtains...???). I stayed calm and tried to explain again but I just got more grief. In the end, I left the hotel but the front door was locked, and they wouldn't reply to me as I asked how to get out. A helpful customer finally asked for me and then showed me the way. As I left, I said goodbye but got no reply.

Been to Bowmans Hotel? Share your experiences!