“lovely place” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 7 hotels in Enfield
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“lovely place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

stayed with my husband and my 18th month daughter for long weekend 24-26 August 2013.very nice hotel with lovely gardens and swimming pool outside.We actually had a swim with my daughter.It was very good value for money ! we only had a meal in the bar area and breakfast but restaurant looks very nice.Breakfast was excellent and staff very friendly and helpful.would stay there again and recommend.I left my feedback on their forms and received a letter from the hotel to say thank you!!! well impressed.quality!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
GeoffBreese, Managing Director at Royal Chace Hotel, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review the Royal Chace Hotel on Trip Adviser.

With the outdoor swimming pool setting and the best summer for a good few years the communal sun deck and gardens have never been so popular, its a shame it had to come to an end!

I have passed on your kind words to the Breakfast team and as success so often depends in recommendation I thank you once again for reviewing us on Trip Adviser.

Regards

269 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Chester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

I needed to stay in Enfield for business and decided to try the Royal Chace. Apprehensive that it maybe a little tired or bygone as my experience of similar looking establishments has been. I was pleasantly surprised. Excellent welcome at reception, with offer to carry bags as their is no lift. I was in a superior exec room on the 2nd floor - very large and well appointed, though had to ask for iron & board (strangely the porter asked me to sign a disclaimer for the use of the iron - I guess they have had a claim made against them!). I was able to use the outdoor pool - very warm and clean; stroll around lovely gardens and have a drink in the lounge bar with beer at pub prices! I had a meal in the restaurant, which was well cooked and served by well trained waiting on staff. The breakfast was also very good, though a little steep at £15.
I will use this hotel again and would recommend to other business travellers who actually want a change from the corporate chains!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
As an accomplished and experienced reviewer I was interested to read your view on the Royal Chace Hotel.

It was terrific to read you consider us a good alternative to the chain Hotels and yes every Hotel I have managed I have had a problem with Irons therefore the disclaimer is to protect the Hotel against irons burning guest clothes, also this is why we have an ironing room with an Iron on a timer.

The outdoor Swimming Pool and Sun deck have been busy this year as a has our new courtyard which became a sun trap on then long sunny days and popular for afternoon Tea and after work drinks.

Thank you once again for taking the time to review the Royal Chace hotel on Trip Adviser.

Kind regards

4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013 via mobile

Have stayed before a few years ago and stayed again in May.
Recommended it to friends that also stayed..
Friendly staff and nice clean rooms.
Nice hotel for everyone and perfect location to get to..
Would def' stay again

• Stayed May 2013
GeoffBreese, Managing Director at Royal Chace Hotel, responded to this review, August 30, 2013
Thank you for your review of the Royal Chace Hotel on Trip Adviser.

I appreciate you recommending the Hotel to your friends and as a tip if you book via our own website you do get a complimentary light breakfast if the terms shown are room only.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013 via mobile

My partner & I stayed for 2 nights at the Royal Chace.We highly recommend this hotel.Beautiful surroundings very lovely staff especially the men of reception were most helpful & kind.
We had a double room which was very clean & modern. We did not eat in restaurant so cannot comment but looked nice.Breakfast was nice we had continental which was plentiful & we were waited on by again very helpful staff. The hotel interior design was most eye catching it is furnished to a very high standard. All In all a superb stay which we highly recommend & we would most definately return again.
Thank you The Royal Chace for making our stay one to remember.

London, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013 via mobile

I use this facility for meetings about once a month as it is extremely convenient for the M25 and parking is free. It has a wonderful view as it is located on the edge of London overlooking rolling countryside.
They have recently introduced a 12-2 laptop ban, this obviously to promote food sales. Quite frankly this is ridiculous as there are far more effective ways of ensuring good spend per head, particularly when the restaurant is empty. Food is expensive, a homemade burger with cheese and bacon and there hand made chips was £16. The burger was ver small for the money, although very tasty, the homemade twice fried chips were rubbish. The chef is clearly trying too hard. Fries that were ordered as a side for my colleague were also cold. These were promptly replaced. There was also no follow up visit- a must IMHO if you want gauge food success. Previously they gave home made biscuits when you ordered (expensive) coffee or tea, this has now changed to a wrapped Italian almond biscuit. Still very convenient and generally quite good, but could quite easily and cheaply be excellent.

• Stayed August 2013
GeoffBreese, Managing Director at Royal Chace Hotel, responded to this review, September 2, 2013
Thank you for your review regarding the Kings Bar at the Royal Chace hotel.

I appreciate your feedback regarding the no laptops rule between 12-2pm however on the flip side of your opinion we made the decision based on the feed back from customers who do want to have lunch in a non business environment, which I think is a fair point.

Our objective was to try and make both markets of valuable clientele happy which I think we can still do by making the area laptop free just over the short lunchtime service.

Thank you for your review and I have taken note of your disappointment in the cooking of the twice cooked handmade chips.

Thank you once again for your review.

Regards

4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

I recently planned a group of ladies to have afternoon tea in the Royal Chace Hotel and as soon as I had called to query, Liz, the group co-ordinator has been excellent to pre-arranging the booking, providing us with orange juice as well as champagne due to a couple of guests who don't drink. The food was fresh and delightful, everybody thoroughly enjoyed it. The young gentleman who was looking after us was brilliant, offering great service with attention and smile throughout.

• Stayed August 2013
Thank you for your review.

Afternoon Tea has never been more popular at the Royal Chace than this year, with plenty of sunshine and the opening of our new courtyard it has been a very popular addition to the range of services we have available.

Thank you once again for taking the time to write a review on Trip Adviser.

Kind regards

Bristol
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

Stayed at the Royal Chace recently. Competitively priced, super breakfast, nice outdoor pool and, importantly, all of the staff very friendly. We'll stay again. Breakfast was great value and we had freshly cooked poached egss. We were well looked after by Rosie.

CJM

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Royal Chace Hotel? Share your experiences!