“Enjoyable if a bit noisy” 4 of 5 stars

020 8440 2696
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Chez Tonton is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 83 Restaurants in Enfield
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
London, United Kingdom
“Enjoyable if a bit noisy”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013

Not our first visit.
Service as always good. Was a bit disappointed in the choice of specials of the day. The fondue starter was not typical but consisted of a large pot of melted cheese with a few small mushrooms and lots of ham which made it incredibly salty. The calves liver however was brilliant served with a gorgeous jus. My friend's onion soup and salmon main course were also good. My only reservation when we go to Chez Tonton is that it can be noisy so not ideal if you want a serious chat. Otherwise pretty well perfect.

• Visited December 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

London, United Kingdom
“Undecided”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

The staff were very friendly and attentive - but perhaps a little less so on our departure. My partner also noticed this and wondered if perhaps it may be due to us spending a lot less than one might normally spend at this restaurant. Other diners had ordered the 3 course deal and lots of drinks, whereas we only ordered the 2 course deal. I had one glass of wine, despite the fact that a bottle had been placed on the table prior to our arrival, and my partner had one beer. The waiters seemed somewhat taken aback when we declined dessert and, again, I think they were disappointed.

The atmosphere was pleasant, lots of people and quite intimate, which is exactly what I was looking for.

The food was nice, but far too rich for both my partner and I. He had muscles which were lovely!! I don't usually like muscles, but they were so nice that I've now decided I like muscles! I had parsnip soup.... which tasted of parsnip and not much else. It was nice but it didn't have a lot of depth - just a lot of cream added to it. I found this too rich and, consequently, I couldn't eat much of my main. Overall, the dishes we had were quite good, but just too rich for us.

We've decided that we would possibly go again, but we'd choose different dishes. However, I will be on the lookout for more French restaurants as it would be nice to have something to compare it to.

Regarding the amount we spent, I shall reserve my judgement somewhat and see how we are treated during our next visit. If we spend around the same amount again, then I only hope we are made to feel as welcomed when we leave as when we arrive.

• Visited November 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
London
“Wonderful dinner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

I must agree with some of the other post.. certainly better food than I had in Paris.

I thought the 3 courses I had at Chez Tonton were all absolutely delicious. Not a cheap meal approx. £45 per head but certainly an example of you get what you pay for and I would certainly go back. I could not fault any of the dishes and the staff are extremely friendly and helpful.

• Visited November 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Better French cuisine than we've ever had in Paris”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

We've just had a delicious birthday meal for 6. The food was to perfection and the service was even better. Eric made sure we were well looked after and we loved the atmosphere of the restaurant. It felt like we were in France. Great food and great atmosphere. Thanks!

• Visited October 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
london england
“maintaining quality standards for 30++ years”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

Claudine and Eric have been the very hard working duo behind a successful, authentic French restaurant and the multitude of discerning return diners will testify to its appeal.
we`ve just had a superb 3 course lunch with wine and b&b inc service for £29.78 in total
we ate moules farci, gratin of leek and poulet,tagine of poulet, salade de foie de volaille,rum & raisin icecream and a powerful ganache plus a large glass of house red.
lovely ambiance, lovely food, lovely people
merci a vous see you on Beaujolais Nouvelle night