“I couldn't give my money away!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Laura Ashley The Manor Elstree

You added Laura Ashley The Manor Elstree to your Saves list
Laura Ashley The Manor Elstree
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Barnet Lane, Elstree WD6 3RE, England (Formerly The Edgwarebury Hotel Elstree)   |
Special Price
10% off room rate
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Elstree
London, United Kingdom
“I couldn't give my money away!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

I found it odd that there was no information on the website regarding Christmas or New Year's Eve packages and therefore contacted the venue to enquire. After my second call the brochure was finally emailed but my question unanswered about the cost of upgrading the room and whether entertainment was included in the price.

I was due to go for afternoon tea that week and thought it a good opportunity to ask the question again. The afternoon tea experience did not impress as our table was set for four, correct, but with three chairs and we were situated in the middle of a wedding party! We felt very awkward and I'm sure the wedding party felt the same. I asked if we could be moved to another area which they organised and the food was delicious. However, it soon became apparent that we had been forgotten as we would have liked to have had more tea and the plates taken away. I then walked through the wedding party to reception for assistance.

Upon leaving I asked the receptionist for the answers to our questions about the New Year's Eve package but she pointed out that she had only been with the company three days and needed to refer our enquiry to the Events Manager. I was informed that they were having a meeting about these type of questions in a couple of days, so I left my contact details and was promised a call back. Three days later there was no sign of my call so I chased again. I left my details with the receptionist who said that hopefully the Events Manager would call me back, I stressed that out of courtesy I expected my call to be returned that day.

Upon speaking with the Events Manager, Crystal, I asked why there was no information available online regarding their Christmas packages to which I was told "Laura Ashley look after the site." I asked what the cost of upgrading the room was and I was put on hold while the calculation was made. My last question was whether entertainment was included in the price. "I'm not sure, I've only been here two months and have never done Christmas here before." Clearly nobody has but I was surprised that none of these questions had been preempted. I was left feeling frustrated and disappointed with the service and it certainly does not fill me with confidence to make a booking here for Christmas or New Year's Eve.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Belfast, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for 2 nights whilst attending an event at the RAF Museum in Hendon which is about 10 minutes away by car. Its been entirely revamped by Laura Ashley and if thats your taste you will love it. It has a high standard of decor throughout and the bedrooms are well appointed, especially the computerised toilet ! Lots of fun working out which setting you prefer....We ate in the small, cosy bar area and the food was well cooked and presented, the menu has a Thai influence alongside the normal pub food options, I found the service to be professional and polite. Breakfast was a tale of two mornings. On the first morning I stayed the hotel was full so breakfast was served buffet style and wasnt up to much, generally overcooked and bland. The second morning it was cooked to order and was a lot better. The hotel grounds are spacious and very well kept with a pleasant bar veranda overlooking the gardens and north London. The area around the hotel itself is very affluent and well away from traffic so the hotel is generally quiet.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Bath, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

We were on difficult family business and wanted somewhere to retreat to in the evenings. We were a bit worried because there were two weddings at the weekend. But they didn't really spoil our enjoyment even though the celebrations went on until late, the bed was so comfortable that we slept without interruption. This is a fabulous place to stay. From the moment we checked in we knew we'd made a good choice. The staff were extremely welcoming and not artificially so as in some other hotels. Our room, although small, was beautifully decorated and immaculate. The service in the restaurant could not have been better and the food was excellent. Added to all this, the impressive building, the beautiful surroundings and I cannot believe that anyone could really fault this hotel. We will definitely be back.

Room Tip: The rooms in the modern part of the buildings are probably furthest away from any celebrations. But...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013 via mobile

I was a bit worried about booking after reading the reviews but am now glad I ignored them.
On arrival I had a very warm welcome and was shown to my room which was beautifully decorated and very clean.
The food in the restaurant was top quality and the staff couldn't do enough for you all very professional , people have to realise you have pay for quality .
On the whole a fantastic stay thanks to tommy and his team for all their efforts .

• Stayed August 2013
TheManorGM, General Manager at Laura Ashley The Manor Elstree, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Thank you for your kind review of Laura Ashley The Manor.
I was very pleased you took the opportunity to create your own impression of the hotel and that it was "fantastic stay".
I will pass on your comments to Tommy and the team as this positive feedback is always very well received & acts as excellent motivation to the team.
We hope to welcome you back to The Manor very soon.
Regards,
James Mahaffey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013 via mobile

The hotel has recently become a Laura Ashley hotel - strange concept in itself. But it might work. Needs to improve level of customer service before I return. Good things - view from the bar across to London. Amazing gardens. Comfy beds.
Bad things - service in the bar, slow and not very polite. Barman ignored me for about 10 minutes then asked me "you alright?" When I finally went up to the bar to order a drink. The menu is nice and food pretty good. Again, service amateurish and although our waitress was sweet she didn't have much of a clue. In think prices a bit high. The restaurant is lovely - classy decor and original wood panelling. No gym no spa which would make it more attractive to business travellers
Must try harder!

• Stayed August 2013
TheManorGM, General Manager at Laura Ashley The Manor Elstree, responded to this review, September 2, 2013
Thank you for your comments about your recent experience at The Manor.
It is true to say the hotel has recently become part of the Laura Ashley brand. We are therefore undergoing a process of change & improvement in all areas of the business. The service in the restaurant & bar is one of the key areas we are working on.
In terms of gym or spa it is unfortunate we do not have these facilities. But we do have an agreement with a local gym that can be used by guests of the hotel free of charge.
I urge you to visit the hotel again very soon to experience the correct level of service, I am confident you will find a marked improvement upon your last visit.
Regards,
James Mahaffey
Cheadle Hulme, Cheshire, UK
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

Website not helpful.
Wanted to know what food was on offer in restaurant and could we book a deal of half board as website gives B and B deals.
Phoned to enquire but phone rang and rang.
Phoned 2 hrs later and the phone was answered promptly but person who I asked the question to disappeared to ask somebody but after hanging on over 4 mins I decide not to bother.
Love Laura Ashley clothes .. especially the sales and the shop assistants are helpful.
Shame this place seems to have teething problems but at £150 per night for a double with breakfast I was expecting something else?.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
TheManorGM, General Manager at Laura Ashley The Manor Elstree, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
As a management team we are always open to feedback, but I was unhappy to see your comment about your recent experience with the new website & telephoning the hotel.

As you correctly point out these are “teething issues” both of a new website and establishing the new standard of the hotel. Nevertheless your request was very simple in nature and I can fully understand this affecting your expectation of the hotel.

Please be assured this is an unusual occurrence and not the way in which Laura Ashley The Manor carries out its business.

If you are still wishing to visit the hotel, and I do hope that you do, please contact me directly and I would be more than happy to discuss your half board requirements.

James Mahaffey – General Manager

Been to Laura Ashley The Manor Elstree? Share your experiences!