“Good Surroundings but ...” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #13 of 165 Restaurants in Blackburn
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Delivery, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Delivery, Late Night
Blackburn
“Good Surroundings but ...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

This restaurant is popular with a good reputation but each time I go I'm disappointed. Why is that? It's because they seem to think that they need to pack in as many people as possible and get rid of them asap. Always seems rushed and not allowed to enjoy the food and ambience - that's why I don't go very often. I wish it were different.

• Visited December 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Clitheroe, United Kingdom
“If you like Indian food, you can't failed to be impressed !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

Have been going to the Shajan for years and surprised that it has been reviewed so infrequently on Trip Advisor.
Nothing ever changes - it simply is excellent. Great food and service with very good ambience and atmosphere. For a quality Indian restaurant, pricing offers very good value for money as well.
Wise to book at peak times but even without a booking, never been turned away.

• Visited February 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Blackburn
“Love this Restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

Been to this restaurant several times and the good is always good. For best value go on a Sunday for the meal deal before 5pm. The service is great and the food is always brilliant only found one Indian restaurant on par with this in England. The staff are always happy to wait in-between courses and this is one of my favourite restaurants.

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Awful service, food not much better”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013 via mobile

Me and my partner had a meal here last night and can honestly say that it was the worst restaurant we have ever visited. We had booked a table earlier in the week for 8pm. Arriving at 7:45 we were ushered into an extremely busy bar area. We understood this, as it was a Saturday night and ordered drinks. As we sat waiting, a menu was given to us and we assumed it was something to look at whilst we were waiting.
Around 5 minutes later a very stressed looking waiter approached us and asked if we were ready to order, which surprised us, as we were not informed that our order was to be taken in the bar area. We said we would like a couple more minutes and he turned away looking frustrated. Not long after a very friendly lady took our order and was knowledgeable about the menu.
We then sat waiting and waiting, watching the tables around us being taken to their tables. Around 8:40 (40 minutes after our table was booked for) we asked how long it would be before we would be seated and were told that it shouldn't be long. Eventually at 8:50 the stressed waiter from earlier came over to us and said 'there's a table ready, it's a big table but we'll have to give it to you'.
Feeling very unwelcome my partner and I made our way to the table and my partner asked this waiter if there was a chance anything could be taken off the bill, due to us waiting almost an hour for a table that we had booked. The waiter then began angrily shouting at my partner saying things like 'can you not see that we are trying our best?!' And 'don't you see how busy we are'. He also suggested that we were lying by saying 'you haven't been waiting that long, i started my shift at 8 and you weren't waiting'. He was quite aggressive. My partner sat down and remained calm as the waiter continued to be very confrontational. He then angrily asked 'do you even want this table?' At this point, we would have very gladly left the restaurant, however with it being almost 9pm there wouldn't be many places left open for us to eat.
Reluctantly we stayed and the poppadums arrived quickly. They were average, as we're the dips that accompanied them. We were constantly watched by a different waiter to check if we had finished and as soon as I had my last mouthful, the waiter took the plates. The angry waiter from earlier in the night brought the starters and once again began telling us how busy they were and then huffed and offered my partner a drink. He said he did not want one. The waiter then asked me and I asked him to please leave us to eat our meals, to which he answered 'what?!' I repeated myself and he said 'fine then', laughed and walked away.
At this point I felt very angry, so decided to go to the bathroom for a couple of minutes and when I arrived back to the table, the main meals had been placed on the table! Despite our starters having just arrived! Ridiculous.
The table of four next to us finished their starters and were asked if they'd like a break between courses. We did not get this treatment.
We were then rushed to finish all this food, as the waiters hovered around us and tried to take the plates whilst I was having a rest from eating.
The few positives of the night included: a friendly waiter visiting our table and being very polite, respectful apologetic. He gave us a complimetary drink for the upset. Also, the lovely lady who originally took our order.
We came to this restaurant from recommendation and will never return. We urge others to do the same, unless they want to be treated as badly as us.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Blackburn, England, United Kingdom
“no better than last time.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

I know it's expensive, that not the point, the flavors in the food are not to my taste and I also don't feel comfortable here. This time tried something completely different as i was invited there and someone ele was paying. Didn't like it and will insist that next time we go cheap and cheerful on the curry front.

Visited February 2013