“Brilliant!” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
Blackburn
“Brilliant!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

I'd heard good reviews from friends who had visited previously, so wanted to try it for myself. I went for a meal with the parents and wasn't disappointed. The food was flavoursome and the chicken I had was marinated perfectly. We were definitely made to feel very welcome and even had a chat with the owner, Dave, who was a very pleasant chap. Will be making a return visit hopefully in the near future.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
calypsocaribbean, Owner at Calypso Caribbean Restaurant, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
Many thanks for taking the time to review Calypso and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Blackburn, England, United Kingdom
“food heaven”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

Came here last night (16th) to celebrate my friends birthday having been here before, i was expecting a good evening....what we got was pure excellence
The staff are very welcoming the music sets the tone for the evening and the food stunning and very tasty
the licencee was a total star staying open until we left late
thank you so much for a great night we really enjoyed it :-)
Joe

• 5 of 5 stars Food
calypsocaribbean, Manager at Calypso Caribbean Restaurant, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review, it was a pleasure having your custom and look forward to seeing you again soon!
Blackburn, United Kingdom
“fantastic night”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

Made really welcome on arrival, food was brilliant, great value, lovely atmosphere, will be returning soon

(The platter and the goat curry was unbelievable, never tasted anything so good!)

Thanks to all at Calypso

• 5 of 5 stars Food
We were pleased to learn that you enjoyed your visit to Calypso and we hope to see you again soon.
Bolton, United Kingdom
“Pleasure on a plate !!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

Myself and my husband decided to try calypso after a friends recommendation to us on how how good it was, we were not disappointed! From walking in being greeted by friendly staff to the excellent menu was in total a wonderful evening, I chose the platter for 1 and my husband opted for the Caribbean lamb shank, both dishes were fantasic the platter had a little bit of everything on including curry which was delicious, the lamb shank was succulent and fell off the bone it had been marinated in Caribbean spices that my other half is still talking about! I would recommend this place to anyone and such good value for money we will definitely be going back to try the rest of the mouthwatering menu

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Thank you very much for taking the time to review Calypso and we were happy to learn you had enjoyed your visit. We hope to see you again soon.
Lancashire, United Kingdom
“Absolutely awful!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

Me and my boyfriend fancied a change as we both like spicy food we thought we'd give it a try. when we got there the woman seating us was dressed in jeans and a jumper and very non proffessional way about her. it seemed she was more interested in standing talking to her family in the corner of the restraunt (the only other customers at the time of our visit) than serving us and being polite to us. We went at around 1pm and it was just us and the other 4 people there at the time.

I ordered chicken for both main and starter, both times it was very overcooked, seemed like it had been in a deep fat fryer for a long time. In 2 pieces of chicken I found long hairs so that put me off. The rice and peas were extremely over seasoned and the fragrance coming off them was overpowering, it was seasoned with what tasted exactly like the small tub of 'tescos own' mixed herbs 'very carribean!' I also had a bowl of curry sauce with the meal which was disgusting and tasted like something i could buy from a chippy but again overseasoned and very greasy!

When we asked for the bill, the woman did not bring us our change, we waited for ten minutes, i can only assume she thought it was a tip!

I am not normally a critical person but this is by far the worst meal I have ever eaten.

• Visited March 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
calypsocaribbean, Owner at Calypso Caribbean Restaurant, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
We are sorry that you were disappointed with your visit to Calypso however as your visit was 7 months ago it is not possible to investigate the issues you raised. However if any of our customers are unhappy with the service or food and they make it known to the staff at the time of their visit we will be only too happy to fully investigate the concerns raised. We would like to make clear that during the day we serve pub lunches in the pub section of the building which is not waitress/waiter service and the menu available, although containing Caribbean items is not the same menu that is served at night in the restaurant which is waiter/waitress service.