“Mystery Weekend Stop-over” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Cannock
Cwmbran, Wales, United Kingdom
“Mystery Weekend Stop-over”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

Coach trip of 50 people stopped at the Ramada North Cannock overnight- glad it did! It was the hottest weekend 13/14 July and the room was BLISS! Controllable air conditioning through the night; clean, well maintained room, fridge, tv, lovely comfortable bed. The staff were welcoming, helpful and I couldn't find fault. Breakfast was varied and plentiful and staff maintained stocks. Smallish breakfast room unless there was another I didn't see but I chose to go slightly earlier and shared a table - job done. Would definitely stay there again - can't wait. Good complex of venues around for functions and business conferences and a nice pub in walking distance. Great extensive views from my room on 6th floor; bit scary to look down but strong bar across window gave confidence and net curtain obscured if you were fearful. Check-in and check-out was really efficient. Brilliant 360 view from bar at top - time-limited opening until 4.00 pm - pity, would have liked longer there

Room Tip: View from higher floors good but height might be off putting. Ask when 360 bar is open - limited tim...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
DavidDTucker, General Manager at Ramada Birmingham North Cannock, responded to this review, August 18, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for this excellent review of the hotel. It is good to see that you enjoyed your stay with us so much and would return. Also, it is always pleasing to see positive comments regarding our staff and I will be sure to pass these on to them.

David Tucker

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

I had the misfortune of staying in this Ramada for just the one night on a recent business trip to the Regus which is located on the same site.

Check in was pretty quick once the 3 members of staff had finished chatting about a missing set of keys and decided to help me. I booked through Expedia which meant I got a discounted rate (and cashback), which seemed to confuse their systems and meant I ended up with an invoice when I left that did not reflect what I had actually paid. Great for expenses claims...

I was on the second floor and my room was clean and functional as you would expect, but it was boiling hot and the air conditioning really struggled to get the temperature under control.

I needed to use the free internet and followed the instructions in the helpful leaflet left in the room on how to connect up using a network cable. Unfortunately this did not work but the guide told me to contact reception for a Wi-Fi login password, so I popped back downstairs to be told that actually the internet guide left in all the rooms is out of date, the wired connections do not work and the Wi-Fi does not require a password. Really helpful.

Later that evening I popped down to Reception as I had a headache (long day), and really wanted to buy some pain relief. To my surprise the Ramada does not hold any stock of tablets (or toothpaste etc.), so I asked if there was a little shop or petrol station nearby only to be told "no" (which I later found out from the very helpful ladies at the Regus, isn't true), but that I could try walking to a nearby Sainsbury's (about 15 minutes walk), although I would have to "take my life in my hands dodging traffic on the Orbital". Great.

I did find the Sainsbury's and also a Boots which was even closer on a large retail park just around the corner, so instead of returning to the Ramada for dinner I ate out. There is a decent Brewer's Fayre and Premier Inn nearby just past the Renault garage that appears superior in every respect to the Ramada.

So I returned to the hotel and headed to my room, which is the first time I noticed a strange smell in the stairway. I can't quite put my finger on it but it was musty and not pleasant!

The bed was comfy and I enjoyed a fairly good nights sleep, but that proved to be the highlight of my stay. I went down for breakfast and the strange smell in the stairway had been replaced by the welcoming waft of bacon. Unfortunately when I got to the small dining room where breakfast is served I found most of it to be cold (the bacon, sausages and hash browns particularly), which is poor really, but not as poor as the chef's choice of music which was blaring out from the kitchen every time a member of staff opened the door.

As my company uses the Regus opposite a lot we have often suggested that people stay at the Ramada as it is so close, but not any more.

Room Tip: Want a tip on how to choose a good room? Go to the Premier Inn around the corner...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest

I am sorry to read that you did not fully enjoy your stay with us. I will be addressing the problems that you encountered with my team to ensure these are not repeated in the future. With regards to your head ache I am afraid that as a company we do not supply our guests with pain relief due to any allergic reactions that could occur. Thank you for your positive feedback regarding our rooms being clean and comfy.

Doncaster, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel probably around 20 times over the last 5 years, and each visit has been somehow flawed. Check-in is painful, and seems to take forever. Check-out used to be worse, but the hotel has now overcome this by asking guests to pay in advance for their stay.
Breakfast is OK, but I have not yet brought myself to have dinner in the hotel. Happily, the excellent Taaj Indian Restaurant is only 30m from the entrance.
On arrival this week, my reservation could not be found because the booking was recorded with my own Christian name but my surname was the name of my employer - certainly not how the reservation was made.
Two memorably bad experiences were when the hotel ran out of toilet paper, confirmed by checking all public toilets, which forced me to ask for loo paper at the public bar; and being allocated a room designed for wheel-chair users, which exacerbated my housemaid's knee when using the sink!
The staff are friendly and helpful (but often hopelessly inconversant with the hotel's IT system) and I can't help feeling that they are held back by poor management.

Room Tip: The hotel is cylindrical in shape and has only 1 lift. Choose a room close to the ground or be prepa...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback and you repeat custom. Thank you for commenting on our friendly staff I will pass these comments onto them. I am sorry that yuo found check in to be slow. We now ensure there are two Receptionist's on Duty for busy check ins although this can occasionally be effected by last minute and unexpected increases in business. I hope these issues to not deter you from staying with us again.

oldham
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

we visited the ramada at Cannock we were met by a lovely girl who said there was a couple of functions on and hoped it would not be to noisy we had booked a twin double but were given a double it was changed but it was not as nice a room but not bad. the curtains were coming of the runners. we were not bothered by any noise . we went down to breakfast it was quiet we struggled with the toaster which took ages and no one came to help .I requested scrambled eggs and waited for 20 minutes by this time it was very full indeed the staff were struggling they only fetched 6 of every thing out from the kitchen so the dishes were soon emptied people were getting quite cross .2 staff was not enough to cope .a manager then came but started cleaning glasses instead of sorting the chaos . the coffie was awful . could not drink it .there was a wedding party in and not enough seats or food .it was very badly organised ..we also had to report that the light near the lift was out and it was very dark .would not recommend this hotel at all .it was very difficult to find to start with not very well sign posted of the roundabout ..the worst ramada we have stayed in .

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest

Please accept my apologies for the problems that you experienced during your stay with us. Thank you for bringing these to my attention. The night which you stayed with us was particularly busy and this did lead to an extremely busy breakfast where everyone came down at a similar time. We are currently looking into ways to resolve the issues that you experienced to prevent this from occuring again. One of the options which we have just introduced is a breakfast in bed menu which will hopefully prevent the breakfast area from becoming over crowded on busy mornings. Once again thank you for your feedback.

scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

Check-in friendly and efficient. Plenty parking at the weekend. Rooms clean, well furnished and of reasonable size.
Public areas are clean and well presented.
During the recent hot weather, the room was scorching when we arrived and the windows are floor to ceiling fixed. The rooms are double aspect (at least ours was) so the sun at the southern rooms can quickly heat the room to an intolerable temperature. Luckily, the Air con is efficient, and soon brought a more comfortable temperature. The hotel is a 5-10 minute drive from the M6 and a 2 minute drive back on to the M6 Toll. A bit awkward if you want to go back to the M^ but we didn't so the hotel location was perfect.(You can't access it from the Toll road as far as I know, you can just enter the Toll when leaving)
Anyway, the Hotel is well positioned with a Couple of pubs within a short walk, a KFC and a Brewers Fayre restaurant next to the nearby Premier Inn. We booked B and B and got a very good family room deal, but when we went for breakfast, they had no breakfast booking for us and asked how we wanted to pay. Luckily, we had our booking details and details of the special deal. The lady seemed a bit miffed, and made to get the manager until we showed her the booking details. No apology for doubting that we were B and B, just a curt nod.
Apart from that, no problems. The other staff were friendly, the room was good, with a little cooler for you wine and water,(not a mini-bar as promised), the breakfast was very good, with a fairly comprehensive Buffet.
Easy access and a choice of nearby eateries. We would certainly return, and would recommend the Ramada Encore as a good quality budget hotel.

Room Tip: Probably rooms on the south face(it's kind of square) would get more light.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to post this very positive and detailed review. I am pleased to see that you found our staff to be friendly and enjoyed our buffet breakfast. I hope to see you again soon.

Harrogate
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

I recently stayed at this hotel and although I only stayed the one night, enjoyed my stay. I booked it through a third party and got a very good deal so was particularly pleased. The room was very comfortable with a great bed. The bathroom was well laid out and although the bedroom was not large I found it very comfortable....There were tea making facilities with milk supplied from a small fridge which would have proved even more useful if staying longer , although I thought it a little stingy not supplying complimentary biscuits as these are supplied by some of even the cheapest hotels.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
DavidDTucker, General Manager at Ramada Birmingham North Cannock, responded to this review, August 11, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your positive feedback on the hotel. I am pleased to see read that you found the hotel to be good value and comfortable.

Great Yarmouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

Ideal spot when visiting Staffordshire it is ideally situated near to both M6 and A5.
Floor 12 has an amazing viewing area which includes a bar and cafe.
Good meeting point for business meetings too.
Rooms are very comfortable with good air on, needed when we were there,only downside air on abit noisy.
Buffet breakfast was good but toaster slowed up proceedings, it was slow.
Cannock chase is just 15 min drive, some of the most beautiful country in the Midlands.
Would certainly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback. i am pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to see you again soon.

David Tucker

Been to Ramada Birmingham North Cannock? Share your experiences!