“Shocking guest service” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 3 hotels in Cannock
Stourbridge, United Kingdom
“Shocking guest service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

We stayed at the hotel on Friday 28.12.12. When we arrived we were greeted by a miserable receptionist called Laura, not really a pleasant welcome but she continued to check us in, she checked us in and asked for our card to pay for the room, to which I said I was under the impression it had been paid for, she abruptly stated that it had not. I started to check my emails as I was sure I had, she then just said 'my bad, it has been paid for' no I'm sorry for the confusion!
Great start!
We were then given room keys and off we went. The hotel itself was fine and had all the facilities we required and was clean. We were off out to a local event so we did not spend much time in the hotel.
This led to our check out, another great encounter with Ramada staff, it was the lovely Laura back on reception, well actually she was on her way out with another member of staff to what I assume was a quick break but as my partner was in front of me she did not see me walking behind she saw my partner make his way to the reception desk and as there was no other staff, rolled her eyes at her colleague and make her way back to the reception desk to serve him. To which her friend waited next to her while she served him. She again greeted us in an abrupt manner and stated that the card details that she processed last night was declined so she needed to process again. Confused as I was under the impression we had paid already, waited patiently while she tapped card details in again....no she said its not going through, she looked at us and said you booked with a travel agent didn't you which I agreed and then just slammed her hand down took our key cards off us and muttered to her friend but clearly loud enough 'can't check them out because it won't let me' really not my problem!!!! Nor should I even know about it!!! We then walked away with no goodbye thank you hope you enjoyed your stay, just a miserable face - clearly Laura shouldn't work in customer service!!!
I then left feeling so angry about this, and quite confused with all the fuss, I checked my bank balance as we left and to confirm we had already paid for the hotel stay via a travel agent...so I can only assume she meant the card details from the travel agent...not our card details.... 15 mins after we left the hotel lovely Laura rings me on my mobile stating that they payment for the stay hadn't gone thru...I said I have just left the hotel what is going on. She said ' oh I thought this was the travel agent' ON A MOBILE NUMBER???????? Oh my this woman just gets worse!!! This woman should not work in a hotel, nor should she work in any industry that involves dealing with public unless a company is prepared to invest some time in her in guest satisfaction and guest service....really overall disappointed - I work for a large hotel company so I know what is expected....this place is shocking. I have wrote an email asking for general managers details but to my expectation - no reply! would rather pay extra and get the service! Will never stay at a ramada again!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
JohnO87, General Manager at Ramada Birmingham North Cannock, responded to this review, January 27, 2013
Dear Guest

I must apologise for the poor guest service that you received at the hotel. I would very much appreciate it if you would contact me on 01543461361 to discuss the matter further. It is very rare that I receive negative feedback regarding the friendliness of the staff at the hotel so I will be looking into this further to ensure that it is not repeated.

Kind Regards
David Tucker

286 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
uk
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012 via mobile

Stayed at this hotel overnight on 28/12/12 on the afternoon tea and breakfast deal.

ARRIVAL:
There was no one at the front desk ready to greet us, they emerged from the back. We had no 'welcome greeting' just the 'can I help' type of talk. We were advised the main lift was not working and to call when we were ready for our afternoon tea and it'd be brought to our room. It was all very matter of fact service and there was definitely no smiling. We asked what was included in the afternoon tea. The lady at reception wasn't sure and asked another lady who then confirmed the choices. Soup or sandwich. Tea, coffee or mulled wine. Cheesecake or some other baked goods (sorry can't remember). Noone offered to take our bags to our room. A bit short for a 4 star hotel we thought. However, we carried on.

ROOMS:
The room we had was a twin, 409. It was clean, well laid out. Floor to ceiling windows. Sockets conveniently bedside. Tissues and towels all amply provided and well set out. Downside was there was no tub, just shower. Tv a bit small.
Open wardrobe.

As we had been on the road a while, we rang as soon as we were settled for our afternoon tea. The conversation went something like this.

Me: Hi. Just ringing to say we're ready for our tea.
Reception: What tea?
Me: Our afternoon tea that came with our deal.
Reception: Well you have to order it first.
( Obviously!!!!! Really???? They can talk to a customer like that??? Ok.)
Me: Ok. Can you tell me the choices again
Reception: soup or sandwich
Me: What soup is it today please?
Reception: (goes to find out) ....tomato soup
Me: And the sandwiches?
Reception: the ones in your menu in the room
Ooookay! So at this point we look for the menu, have a look and eventually place an order. After that phonecall, I really felt like I had been bothering reception but was determined to have a good rest so did not let it bother me.

SUGGESTIONS: Your reception staff should be clued up on the menu. They should have a menu at the front desk they can read from to assist the customer. After all, all the room service orders are placed through them, it'd make sense, right?
Secondly, you should make it a point that ALL your customers feel welcome, like they couldn't be in a better place at that time. Customer is king. Staff attitude should reflect that.

Anyway, one hour later the food had not arrived so we rang reception and were informed they were really busy with a wedding with one chef in attendance for the wedding only. We were informed that the wedding party was just about to have their main meal and we would be served after they had finished eating, in an hour. I nearly died! I asked what they expected us to do in the mean time. Was told that there was nothing they could do and the receptionist said she wasn't trained to make food so its not like she could go in the kitchen and make us the meal. (Had not asked her to do this at all). 4 star response!!! I asked if there was a manager around. The manager was around but you guessed it! Busy with the wedding. I asked that he would call me back.

At this point, thank God for supermarkets. We had some bread etc and waited for the manager.

Eventually the manager rang. He apologised and said there was a wedding etc etc etc. I just wanted to know what they would do about it. Initially, we had to wait. Somewhere along the line they were suddenly able to bring the meal there and then with free 'complimentary' drinks. I explained we were already eating so we would have the meal later. The free drinks did not feel like a fair deal to us so after another mini discussion we resolved we could have our meal much later and it'd be free as long as it was from the 'fast food' menu in the room.

SUGGESTIONS: If you are having a wedding in the hotel, have enough staff to look after your regular guests.
If you're not fully staffed don't book in guests.
If for some reason you find yourselves short of staff on the day DO NOT project this onto your paying customers and expect sympathy or for them to just put up. It's not their fault and it's unprofessional to even mention it. Hire emergency cover staff.
Inform customers of what's going on in terms of waiting times for food. 30 min in someone should have rung to say where our meal was. I cannot believe you would have found it acceptable for us to wait for our meal for two hours with no communication whatsoever.

We took a tour round the hotel. Flagship 12th floor bar was locked, ready for a wedding the next day. On our way back we met a lady member of staff who informed us we could use 'the main lift 'as it was working. We had no idea where this 'main lift' was as we had not been told so we told her that and carried on.

FOOD:
We confirmed our evening meal would be free and ordered away.
One bagel
One beef pie
2 mulled wines
2 ice cream sundaes

We waited. Instead of the food, we got a phone call from the manager. He was not able to 'give' us the whole order as we had ordered too much. A whole 'three-course' meal. I reasoned that the mulled wines were part of the afternoon tea which we were yet to have. He kept telling me he understood what I was saying but all he could give us was the 'complimentary mulled wine' and the per-ordered sandwiches. We explained we no longer wanted sandwiches, we'd already had bread that afternoon and this wasn't what we agreed earlier. This went on for an uncomfortable few minutes until this manager said he would speak to his own manager.

We waited.

A few minutes later it was a knock on the door not a phonecall. Room service. There was no mulled wine left so we were given a bottle of the house red.
'Is that ok?'
'Yes', we replied. It'd have to be, we thought. We were fed up.
One of the ladies quickly said,'Sorry about all this', as she left the room.
When the two ladies had left we realised we had been given an extra plate of food, another beef pie. I rang straight down to inform them. We were told we'd not been charged for it so we could either eat it or leave it.
The meals were sufficient. Not tasty.

SUGGESTION: it would have been nice for the manager to ring back and explain what had been resolved. Though we got the 'free' meal and wine, what a thing to put your customers through! Spoilt the stay.

Next morning's breakfast was a highlight, food-wise anyway. The sausages were really tasty, so was the orange juice. The food was hot and well topped up. Eggs too runny for me but my friend loved them. There was no smiling and greeting from the staff. No enquiries about whether we had slept well just , 'What room number?' One of the ladies who was putting tongs and serving spoons back in their holding plates seemed generally annoyed. The chef who was bringing the food out was pretty cheerful though! One happy face at last! The seating lacked in character. If Travelodge had breakfast areas they would look like that.

SUGGESTION: Staff training is key! The 4 stars of your hotel starts with them. They need to know what they can and can't say to (and infront of) customers and they need to SMILE.

We confirmed what time check out was and it was 12. We went up for a little snooze. At 11.15 someone was knocking ready to clean up. We eventually left at 12. We got a phone call just as we were exiting to tell us check out was 12. At reception there was a mini mistake where we nearly got charged for breakfast but that was quickly spotted by staff. We waited around for the usual and very valued,' Thank you for staying with us, how did you find your stay. We hope to see you again'
When that didn't come my friend said,'Is that all?'
'That's all.'
And off we went.

May I conclude by saying every year after christmas or Easter my friend and I go to a hotel to unwind from busy lifestyles. We know what to expect from the different stars but always expect to be treated well and to be able to relax. This year, we feel we've not done either by staying with RAMADA BIRMINGHAM NORTH.

• Stayed December 2012
Warwick
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here on a deal, so payed a sensible price. Staff were friendly and the service was decent enough. I don't think this hotel is pretending to be anything that it is not. Which was a relief.
The room was much larger than expected and I had room enough to swing two or possibly even three cats.
Turned up towards the end of breakfast so choice was limited and only warm, but that's my fault not theirs.
The view from the sky cafe is fantastic, but closes too early, we were kicked out at 5pm.
I would stay again happily, but the deal price no more.

Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Salisbury, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

We stayed here - room 206- on Fri/Sat 30Nov/1Dec as adjacent Premier Inn was full. Heating not working, as room did not warm up and we spent a cold night in bed. One towel in bathroom was dirty. Next morning we reported this to the person who knocked on our door asking if we needed anything. Some fresh towels and a small fan heater were supplied.When we returned to our room on Sat. evening, the room had not been cleaned and the beds were still unmade. The heater supplied was too noisy to leave on at night so we had another cold night.A pity about the faults as room was quite nice. We didn't complain when we checked out as we won't be staying there again. We'll make sure we book into Premier Inn well in advance next time.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Chapel Saint Leonards, null, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

I stayed here a few weeks ago and was pleased with the room and the service however I thought the price of the drinks and the food was very expensive.
Thje drinks in the pub next door were half the price and the breakfast around the corner at the local cafe was less than half the price.
I was dissappointed that the 12th floor bar was never open as it would have been a nice place to watch the world go by. I understand it is supposed to be open during the day but I found it closed at about 4oclock

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Wokingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012 via mobile

Average hotel, functional rooms and a good location. However I have stayed here twice just over a year apart and both times the heating wasnt working in the room, not good in the midst of a December freeze!

Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
JohnO87, General Manager at Ramada Birmingham North Cannock, responded to this review, December 25, 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review. I must apologise that the heating was not working during your stay. This issue has now been resolved.

Kind Regards
David Tucker
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here as we wrre visiting family in the local area. Although we didn't spend a great deal of time in the hotel what we did see was very nice. The bedrooms were warm and comfortable and the girl who checked us in and out was lovely and friendly. Will use this hotel again.

• Stayed November 2012

Been to Ramada Birmingham North Cannock? Share your experiences!