“Excellent value for money” 4 of 5 stars

Calverts Hotel
Quay Street, Newport PO30 5BA, England   |
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Newport
Wiltshire
“Excellent value for money”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2009

I can't believe how little it cost me to stay at this hotel.

I stayed for three nights and had a deal that included breakfast and car ferry and I paid next to nothing. If I had booked the ferry direct with the ferry company I would have been paying nearly as much just for the ferry alone - I really don't know how they can do this deal so cheap!

I travel a lot - mainly city and town centre breaks and am quite impressed with the location and convenience of this hotel.

The rooms are a reasonable size and quite basic, but you get what you pay for. All rooms are ensuite, some have shower some have bath - when I arrived I was given a room with a shower but I prefer a bath and the receptionist was quite happy to change my room and meet my request.

The breakfast was ample with a selection of cereals, tea, toast and a cooked breakfast.

All in all an excellent find! I will go back when I return to the Island next year!

Just two things - no hotel car park but on street parking is free overnight. You can buy a visitor permit which makes it cheaper for parking in the day. And internet access - you can access internet n nearby library, no wireless at hotel! The receptionist was happy to print something off for me though which saved me having to walk to the library.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2009

We thought it was rated 3star but it is definitely no more than 2. Room was clean but bath chipped and toilet limescale stained, no towel rail and no extract fan even though it was an internal room with no window. Breakfast was excellent and staff very friendly and helpful. We were not told about lack of parking when we booked (by telephone) and were a bit disappointed to find we had to buy a parking permit.
We were very unlucky to have to share floor with a group of all men whose language, manners and lack of any thought for others was unbelievable - but we appreciate this was not the fault of the hotel!
The bar is a very public area and attracted a lot of rowdy local people, thus making it not very inviting.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
West Midlands
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2009

Hotel blurb and views on internet looked real good vfm. Tried 3 rooms, either shower head (attached to bathtaps) were not working or nowhere to place shower head on the area over bath. Rooms dilapidated, TV's out of the ark. Breakfast ex but no other meals catered for. Bar area was done over and swank. Their excuse was they are a budget hotel,as they are opposite Tourist Info and in centre they should be better! They don't class themselves as a budget hotel on the blurb.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
calvertsiow, Owner at Calverts Hotel, responded to this review, August 20, 2009
We are a budget town centre hotel offering clean accommodation and breakfast.

We have a selection of bedrooms, all of which have ensuite facilities.

The bedrooms ARE NOT dilapidated! They are clean and tidy, and all have new beds.

The majority of bedrooms also have brand new furniture!

Not every ensuite bathroom has a shower - some have just baths, some have baths with shower attachments and some have a bath with a fixed shower for showering.

If a customer requests a specific type of bathroom facility at the time of booking we will always advise the customer and endeavour to meet the requirements.

On this occasion the customer did not make a request at the time of booking and we had to try and find him something suitable on arrival.

We offer Bed & Breakfast only at Calverts Hotel - given that there are so many good eateries in and around Newport this is never a problem!

I am sorry this customer was dissatified and encountered difficulties during his stay.

We do our best to please and sometimes are not always able to meet every customers needs and requirements.

I would assure however that we offer excellent value for money and are ideally suited for those who want to use their hotel as a base to explore the Isle of Wight.
Rouen
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2008

Well spent a couple night in that hotel and had a crush on one of the receptionnists :p

if she ever reads this line, i was french ^^

phil.nofx@caramail.com

• Stayed August 2008, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
reading
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2008

I made a late booking and was pleased to get accommodation as it was during Cowes week.
On arrival I was greeted by a most charming receptionist who gave details about parking but it was not an issue as I left my car at the house of a friend.
My room was basically furnished, there was no remote control for the TV, the bedside light was not bright enough to read by, there was no shower in the bathroom. The room could have been improved vastly by the following additions. A couple of pictures on the wall, a towel rail in the bathroom, a lampshade in the bathroom (just a bare lightbulb there) a hook on the bathroom door, a light thet worked over the basin, and a blind in the bathroom. Just fairly cheap additions which would make a rather drab room seem much more homely.
Breakfast on the first day was good, served competently. On the second day a young girl was the only staff in the restaurant. There were six large bowls containing cereals and tinned fruit on the buffet, but only one serving spoon between all the bowls. There were no dishes to put the cereal into. The jug of orange was empty and no toast arrived despite a long wait. I finally gave up, but when I mentioned this at reception (just a young girl there) she just laughed.
Checkout is at 11am. At 10am a yet another young girl knocked at my door asking what time I would be leaving. I said 11am. At 10.30 she knocked and again asked what time i would be leaving . When I said still 11am she said 'what time is it now'? I think they would benefit by employing more mature staff or training the young ones they have.
I would not go back

• Liked — Bed,breakfast
  • Disliked — No shower, young staff not up to the job
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Surrey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2008

Looking at Calvert's website I found it easy to use and my enquiry received a prompt reply. When phoning to book I found that the receptionist very helpful - I was advised about the lack of parking and told of a permit available that meant I could park on-street for an unlimited time (It was great for parking all over the Isle of Wight too).

Arrival: Clearly a different Reception from what’s been previously mentioned – A spacious and bright room located at the front of the building as you enter. I found the welcome we received was friendly and very informative.

The room: Obviously been re-decorated with a new carpet and lovely furniture. The televisions are quite antiquated and not all channels 1-4 can be received (the second TV I was given did though). I did not have a remote and when I asked a Reception they were unable to provide me with one, as they have no spares.

The bathrooms do still need updating but it was clean and suited its purpose. Shame that it lacked a wall attachment for the showerhead though. The bed seemed new and was very comfortable I might add! I had 2 extra pillows in my wardrobe and when I asked at Reception for another for my partner it was delivered to my door almost straight away. My room was located at the back as I requested so town noise was not an issue for me. On the whole it was warm and comfortable but no pleasing ‘extras’.

Breakfast/Dinner: Full English breakfast available along with the usual cereals, yoghurts and fruits etc which suited us perfectly. The service was polite and attentive. Although the Restaurant was a little on the cold side most mornings it was clean and had nice décor. By the evening the temperature had risen slightly and we were served by a very smart looking waiter/barman. The choice of food was good and the meal itself was lovely!

Bar: A public bar in the centre of town, but the service and atmosphere could not be faulted. I had a couple of great evenings in there – the only problem being it did not stay open late for residents.

Overall: It is a basic bed and breakfast hotel but they do serve lovely evening meals that were reasonably priced. The staff are courteous and the general atmosphere was really enjoyable.

A lick of paint has certainly helped and the addition of new furniture and carpets made it quite cosy. The bathrooms do need improving but the rooms have certainly come a long way from previous reviews on this site.

I think the no-smoking ban has helped this hotel to up it’s standard as it seems to improved greatly. I was very happy there for my 3-night bargain break.

I think it was a good deal as it also included the ferry there and back. I would be happy to return again perhaps next year and I can foresee more improvements when I do.

• Liked — Great food, lovely service, nice rooms
  • Disliked — Bathrooms, no late bar
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
New Milton Hampshire
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2007

The one really good thing about staying here was we had only booked for one night! Had it been for more than one night we would have left and moved on! We arrived expecting to see a pleasant looking hotel as shown on their website, bright with hanging baskets. The first sight was a half dead plant in the entrance. We also arrived thinking we would park there and get our baggage in easily. Not so, no free parking here. The nearest parking to the hotel was two hour maximum so we had to pay a rip-off price for two hours close to the hotel and a further £6.40 at the long stay car park about half a mile away. Entering reception was like entering a dingy back room. There were four seated staff in this area. One got up and left, the other three remained seated as if we weren't here. No signs of a friendly welcome so far! The room on the second floor was sparsly furnished, the view at the rear was one of the worst in the IOW, any less putty in the windows would see the panes falling out. The bed was comfortable thank goodness!
We were supplied with unbranded 'wogga wogga' tea bags and coffee which tasted awful, so bring your own supplies! The knob on the hot tap on the bath came off in your hand. The bath was chipped and the toilet seat moved to the side when sat on! If you like ITV or Channel 4, forget it, these channels were not available. We heard a couple who had been there a few days remark that a fried chip on the stairs had been there since they arrived. Although a hotel, there was no chance of getting a drink in the bar after normal closing time. The breakfast was excellent, so this is one positive comment about our stay. We were very positive by this time though, thankfully we were about to leave! We would not reccomend this hotel to anyone. A LOT of customer attention needed!

• Liked — The breakfast
  • Disliked — Unhelpful staff, outdated accomodation.
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Calverts Hotel? Share your experiences!