“Good food, good service, but caters to "local taste"” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #4 of 18 Restaurants in Oakton
Cuisines: Thai
New York
“Good food, good service, but caters to "local taste"”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

First, I'd like to say that the restaurant is clearly well ran and seems to put a significant effort in making customers feel welcome. Service is very attentive, almost too much so (but that's a good problem to have).

Food was well prepared, tasty and well presented. Green beans in light batter in particular were a different kind of appetizer, liked by all.

However, (sorry, there is a however) - the food was absolutely devoid of spice. I asked for Tom Kha to be made spicy, but when it came - it was about as spicy as an egg mcmuffin ;) It was a great soup otherwise, but you could feed it to a 3 year old safely ;) Same applied to green curry, pad kra pao and a few other dishes. Perhaps they didn't understand my request for "spicy" due to miscommunication, or assumed that local caucasian looking person can't possibly enjoy a proper Thai dish.

This seems to be a running theme with a number of Thai restaurants in NoVa, so Kob Kun is not alone in playing it safe. In spite of that, I'd like to give them another try - hopefully they can add a few chilies to my order next time. If not - I'll give them a miss, but not because they are a bad restaurant. You very well might like them.

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Fairfax, Virginia
“Recognized at the second visit - service and food outstanding”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

Okay, so I have loved listening to The Beatles since 1963, yet did not expect to hear their music when I approached the Kob Kun Fine Thai Restaurant shortly after moving to Oakton VA two months ago. The music may have brought me through the door that evening, but the food and service keep me coming back. The bar is small, and crowded with locals waiting for dinner. The presentation of the dinners is beautiful, with fresh ingredients and exquisite flavors treating the palate. Now that I'm a regular, I order an appetizer (portions are generous) in order to save room for the unique desserts. My favorite for now is the chicken satay skewers with salad. Soft peanut flavors caress the grilled chicken and blend with spring onions and spices. Simply Delish!

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“A repeat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

I have eaten here many rimes. Service is good as is the food. Ilast time I ate there, I placed my order and the waitress told me that I should pick X. It was amazing. Glad she recommended it.

Visited April 2013
Vienna, Virginia
“thai customer”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

good food, both taste and food presentation. I know what Thai food should taste like. So far this is one of the best Thai restuarants around northern Virginia. glad to have this restaurant in the area.

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Vienna, Virginia, United States
“Love my neighborhood Thai place!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Have not had a dish at Kob Kun that I haven't enjoyed. Every family member likes it. Fun, easy-going ambiance. Occasionally service can be a little slower, but nothing too bad. Some of the ladies working there are quite cheerful, but at times some can be a little grumpy or non-communicative. But, the excellent food trumps all of that. We just keep going back!

Visited March 2013