“we are planning our next trip TO Todiblick” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel Todiblick
Braunwald, Braunwald 8784, Switzerland   |
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Braunwald
usa
“we are planning our next trip TO Todiblick”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2011

My wife and I visited again in 2010, I think it was our 8th visit, going back to the old hotel.
Some of the discomforts some people realize, I cherish. Fond Memories are made from experiences some not so comfortable. I was 74 years old and my wife 68 when we made our last trip. It is only because I am not in great shape,,, but even though the horse cart picked us up, I still walked most of the way (although I no longer can carry my own pack as I did on my first trips)
We do not ski, so I cannot give imprssions of the skiing, but I do know there can be huge amounts of snow there. 3 years of so , ago there was 1 1/2 meter,,, about 5 feet.
The food is superb, service A1 or better, The wait for the food is another little hidden treasure. While waiting the (WHAT 1 1/2 hour?) food, aprox 30 minutes was part of the enjoyment, it gave us the oportunity to visit with guests from northern Switzerland and a couple from Germany. What a cultural experience and gave my wife and I a chance to enjoy a before dinner drink.
I think we spent as much time cozying around the fireplace near the cat,,, (oh yes, I did have to pick up some toys at one point) as we did walking the many teacherous paths. Oh,, and I did practice my foreign languages with Mrs. Stauber, and the girls.
I have recommended Todiblick to a couple friends, (One an Eye Doctor couple) (One a Drugist and his wife) They thank me every time I see them.
On the morning of our departure Alex (The owner) was up at 5:00 Am to pack and give us our TAKE OUT BREAKFAST to be enjoyed on the train to the Airport.
As I said on my previous review,,,, BEST PLACE WE HAVE EVER STAYED. .

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
New York, NY
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2011

We went here on the strong recommendations of other TAers, but were, unfortunately, really disappointed. First of all, Braunwald is not really a "charming mountain village" but more like a collection of sprawled-out buildings on the side of a hill. It is more like depressed West Virginia mountain town. Okay, that might be exaggerating - the scenery is gorgeous, but there's *really* not much to do here. The village is really about 4 shops. Though it is "auto-free" there are small diesel powered vehicles around - which proved to be as much of a blessing as a curse. We arrived at night and thought we would walk to Todiblick. Good thing there was a taxi waiting for us on arrival - the walk would have been treacherous and exhausting. It is at least 1 km up winding narrow, icy roads - Todiblick isn't really "just up the hill" from the village but a significant distance from it. The hotel itself is not really anything great. One of the things I love about Switzerland is the simplicity in design. The exterior of the Todiblick fools you into thinking you are going to a Swiss mountain chalet. The interior, however, is straight out of suburban New Jersey in the late 1980's. Worn out couches, kids toys strewn about everywhere; ugly, brash lighting, low (7 foot, maybe) ceilings, industrial carpeting...the list goes on. The fishtank and strange gold-plated shell imprint ceiling lights were screaming chinese strip-mall restaurant. Our room, which was otherwise the bright spot in the decor department, with much original wood to speak of, had orange squigglies on the comforters and a photo of the mountain (otherwise visible outside the window) imbedded into one of the walls. Weird. To be fair, the hosts were quite accommodating and the food in the restaurant was really excellent. It took perhaps longer than I have ever waited in a restaurant for our food to be served - over an hour and a half, so at least we knew it was fresh, despite our grumblings. The biggest problem, however, was that we were a couple in search of a secluded, quiet mountain experience, and instead it felt like we happened upon Disneyworld in Switzerland. Kids were screaming, yelling and scampering around in the halls all night and then again at 7AM the following day. This may be advertised as a "family friendly" establishment, but let that be a warning to those without rugrats - in its being such it is definitely not "couples friendly." Since the walk is so long and dangerous in the dark, you are also essentially trapped in the place once arriving!

We also had really disappointing skiing at Braunwald. It is a small, charming ski area but its relatively low elevation killed it. We were skiing through dirt patches and rocks in what felt like mid-April in Early January. We could blame the weather but we spoke with others who were in nearby Flumserberg on the same day and had great conditions. The area is too low in elevation for marginal weather conditions. Unless its cold enough for snow in Zurich, avoid this place if you intend to ski!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
alexander41, Inhaber at Hotel Todiblick, responded to this review, January 24, 2011
Dear Mr. JuddS

I really feel sorry that you had to experience such bad feelings about your stay in beautiful Braunwald. The village as well as our hotel seems not to have met your expectations, even if one as well as the other are quite specifically described in their respective sites as what they are: unpretentious, family (and therefore children) friendly refuges from everyday's life high up in the Swiss Alps. It's a great place for skiing with plenty of snow in spite of the sunny situation--if one cares to try the slopes available and recommended. It's a quiet, peaceful and romantic place, involving some hiking since it's carfree (though we sent a courtesy cab to meet you at the station and spare you the "perilous walk on treacherous roads" at your arrival--usually and during daytime this is our horses' job, but horses also like to get their rest at night).

Maybe it would be wise if you didn't choose a family hotel in the mountains during a school holiday if you are looking for a luxurious rest; maybe St. Moritz would be the place to go under these circumstances. You might also get your dinner somewhat quicker than the 30 min. you had to wait, if not in the same home-cooked quality. And maybe your hotel will be fashioned in the required Alpenland kitsch instead of our handmade, genuine and honest design.

As for myself, I might not choose New York for my holiday. But then, that's not the Big Apple's fault nor its hotels.

Enjoy your trips, and your holidays, and choose wisely what suits your taste, and what doesn't. But please remember: It's your opinion only, and not everybody might share your taste for luxury, nor your diskile of "rugrats".

Cordially

Alexander Stuber, manager and owner of Alexander's Tödiblick
Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2011

My father worked at Hotel Todiblick in 1964 for a summer and he talked about it for the rest of his life (2005). My brother, sister in-law and I traveled to Braunwald as an extension of our father after he passed away. We never understood his fasination with the place until we arrived! This was pure heaven on Earth! The Stuber family still runs the place and remembered our father which really added to our sense of being with family through our entire stay. Kari picked us up from the airport and he too made us feel like we were finally home. The rooms were modest, but you wouldn't want to distract from the views or the service. On our last morning, they prepared a huge breakfast for us way before breakfast was normally served. I can't say enough about this place and I am counting the days (just like my father was) for my return with my family and children.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2010

When we booked this hotel we were a bit unsure on how we'd do to actually get to the place, we just knew we had to get to Linthal. So to help you out, go to Linthal and find the Braunwald Bahn station (not to be confused with the regular train station in Linthal which is some 300 meters/yards from the Braunwald Funicular station). Get to the funicular station (you pay your parking when leaving via a machine just by the exit door of the Braunwald station and it'll cost you 5CHF per day which need be paid in cash!)

Anyway, in Linthal, find the station and ride the funicular to Braunwald, then call the hotel and tell them you're there and they'll pick you up (at cost). You be picked up and then shown to your room which hopefully will give you the view of a dream, perfect peaks all around and the green valley down which is Linthal. The hotel is not fancy in itself and it will squek and give some noise when walking around in your room. But the room and hotel is very clean, very charming and the food is top notch. We had our own balcony and really enjoyed the cold beer on the balcony after a day hiking in the area.

Activities are plentyful, depending on season just a short downhill walk/ski to gumen lift which will take you to about 1900 meters over sea level. And from there you have plenty of choices (no matter if your are hiking or sownhill skiing or what ever).

Back to the hotel - as mentioned the food is superb. But we want to make an extra remark on the breakfast which was just awesome. Sure, maybe it is not the biggest selection compared to a great chain hotel in a big location, but this breakfast was top quality from the bread, to the coffee and tea, the side picks, and the cheeses. Just a perfect start of a day!

Service is excellent, if any questions, jyst ask and you will be answered. An extra shout out goes to Kari, who helped us in Swedish - always nice to hear when abroad!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
usa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2010

We have visited Todiblick a few times, as a couple, with our children and grandchildren, and two times have escorted a small group. It has every time been our favorite part of the trip. Never have we had a disapointment . It is a bit above our usual budget, but worth every penny.We have recomended it to others and we get the same feedback.
The food and service are without flaw. The family and staff are superb. ,,and as though they are our friends treating us like friends not customers. Even in winter snow storms it is enjoyable , just to sit in by the fire and do nothing.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2009

The Stuber family made our stay very comfortable. We were greeted with a small plate of fruit soon after we arrived and at dinner were served a complimentary appetizer. Breakfast was a large buffet but Mr. Stuber also offered us eggs and bacon along with the ample buffet. The room was very modest but impeccably clean with magnificant views from our balcony. The resturant has outdoor seating which overlooks the valley and mountains beyond. Todiblick is situated 20 minutes walk uphill from the center of the village and is relatively isolated once you get there, but we were very happy with our stay. Internet was available on a computer free to guests.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2009

It has been years since I last stayed at the Todiblick because I don't live in Switzerland anymore. But Braunwald is such a charming little village situated in such a lovely place with walks of all sorts of difficulty and interest. We went to the restaurant that served cake and tea and then to the Oberblegisee. It was all so lovely. The hotel is a beautiful chalet-like building set above the village with stunning views. The owners are so friendly, helpful and make you feel right at home. The food is great as well as the rooms. It is just a marvelous experience and very reasonably priced. Priscilla Murr, Austin, Texas

• Stayed July 2006, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel Todiblick? Share your experiences!