“fantastic hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 24 Hotels in Blanes
Stockton-on-Tees, United Kingdom
“fantastic hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

we have just had an amazing time at the blaumar! the room+view was spot on! The food was different everynight! with different themes! chinese! italian !+ more .The staff were friendly! This hotel as more russian! and not a lot of english! we like it that way! loved it! thanks for brilliant holiday!would stay again+again .

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

Last summer my family and I(4 grown-ups) stayed in this hotel for one week. It's real close to the beach and some bars, restaurants and supermarkets are nearby.
I got a single room and I was pleasantly surprised by the size of the room and bathroom. It was clean and it had a quite big balcony and good airconditioning. The bed made some noise when you turn and was a bit hard, but for me as a young woman that's ok.
The dinner buffet was very good; a lot of choice in foods! They had a different ''dinner'' theme every night which was very nice. The breakfast buffet was also very good with a lot of choice.
The swimming pool was small, but a good way to cool down and it had lots of beds near the pool to lay on! Besides; the beach was next to the hotel!
The staff was ok, they were friendly but to me they all seemed to ''work there because they have to work'' and don't have fun doing it.
They had evening entertainment, but I didn't like it that much. Mostly it was for children, which was very nice if you have kids, but for someone my age(23) the shows were all a bit boring.

I do have to say that my brother and his girlfriend had a very weird experience during our stay 'cause for 2 times his beachtowels, which hangover the balcony, went missing after the cleaninglady had cleaned their room. The first time he got it back and the cleaninglady said it fell down the balcony and she picked it up..but she never gave it back herself or left it in their room. My brother had to ask for it himself at the reception. If he hadn't did that then he probably wouldn't have gotton it back.The second time my brother didn't even bother asking it back because we were going to miss our flight. Still, it was a weird situation.

However, it was a quite pleasant stay in this hotel. If I ever go back to Blanes, I might book this hotel again. But I think there are better ones.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Surrey, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

We have just returned after a 14 day stay at the Blaumar, we was not disapointed, what a gem of a hotel, food was ok, you would never go hungary there is something for everyone, rooms were cleaned every day with clean lining and towels, rooms were very comfortable great views as well,
great location perfect for relaxation not sure what some people are complaining about the breakfast, we sometimes pitched up around 09.00 and they were still doing cooking to order ( eggs,crepes ) plenty of pastries and fruit till around 10.00 am !! Just to mention some of the waiting staff, Monica, Toni, Jose Luis, Jesus, Raul and German the bar staff work their socks off !
All in all we had a great time myself and my wife enjoyed it imensley , met some very nice people as well, I would recomend very highly, no complaints what so ever and intend to return next year

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

This Hotel is close to the beach, but not 4 star as they mentioned, rooms are very small and the beds are awaful like cardboard. We had all inclusive breakfast & dinner, they have time only one hour for Bfast from 7:30 to 8:30 AM, dinner from 7:30 PM to 8:30 PM, people are lining up from 7:15 PM, I don't blame them. The food selection is not that great, the plates & cups are not clean at all. Very few veg dishes.
Hotel does not have Fridge, coffee machine in the rooms, they don't have Iron or the borad, they told me I can have them clean with the Hotel Services. It was expensive.
The reception staff is excellent, they are the best service and very polite, that made me happy to stay at this Hotel. Is should be 3 star not 4 star.

Room Tip: Ask rooms facing the Ocean side, I beleive the coner suites are large.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Moscow, Russia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2011

I just returned from an 11 day stay at the Blaumar in Blanes. It is a nice quiet 4 star hotel with clean rooms & a good buffet for breakfast and dinner. If you are looking for a quiet ,restful ,relaxing hotel - this place fits the bill.

There are a few shortcomings: (1) internet access is limited to the reception area and is not free of charge; it also doesn't work all the time (2) the pool is a bit small and (3) the staff is unwilling to make arrangements for early or late check-outs despite the hotel not being full.

I would also recommend having euros in your possession before you go to Costa Brava so you don't have to change USD into the local currency as the exchange rate was about 10% worse than at my local bank at home.

The beach is very close to the hotel and Blanes is a great little town for shopping, strolling, drinking a variety of Spanish wines & sampling great local fruits and vegetables.

This is NOT a party or night spot. So bring a good book you have been meaning to read.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Bucharest, Romania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2011

I was with my family for 8 days in June 2011 and we had a good time. The hotel is less than 100 meters from the beach and we had a great view of the Mediterranean see and of the city of Blanes. Hotel employees were very nice.

The food was so-so. It really depends on your tastes. There were days when we enjoyed everything and there were days when you barely had what to pick.

What I did not like was the fact that the wifi was not free ! Come on, you can find free wifi in all eastern europe hotels with 2-3 stars but you can not find it in a 4 star hotel in Spain. You do however have internet for 2 euro / hour.

Good points :
- location. In less than 90 minutes you can be in Barcelona if you take the train !!! That rocks !
- sightseeing. Even in Blanes you really have what to see like MariMurtra botanical garden.
- entertaining. I did not see clubs but you can easily get with the ferry in any other locations from Costa Brava and you can have lots of fun.

Bad points :
- food like I said, so-so.
- lack of free wifi
- hotel has high prices but at only 10 minutes walking you can find a Condis supermarket with everything you need. I paid 3 euro / water bottle at hotel and I bought the second day exactly the same product with 0.46 euro from Condis.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2009

We booked this as a last holiday before our baby is born so we knew the water will be a bit cold. The beach nest to the hotel is a plain straight line beach, but if you like something a bit more different try Cala St Fracesc. It a a perfect little beach, about 30-40 minutes walk from the hotel. There is even a restaurant with great food right there. The walk up there was a bit difficult for me, being pregnant and all, but there is a bus from what seems to be central Blanes to the Botanical Gardens which will take you very close to the beach.
More about the hotel. Staff were very nice and helpful. They helped us plan our day trip to Barcelona and gave us a lot of information about train times and things to visit.
The room was clean and we could see the sea from our balcony. Only thing I would comment about is the fact that there is no fridge in the room. If you want one you have to pay extra. For a 4 star hotel, I find this a bit strange. The safe was also extra and you had to pay for is. Parking wasn't free, I think is was about 11 euros a day, but if you wanted you could find spaces on the street. There is a spa and they had some nice offers, but had no massage for pregnant women so I did not try it. There is also a gym, but you have to pay to use it.
Food was the biggest disappointment for us. Breakfast was the same every day. Cold sliced meats, one type of sliced cheese, eggs not very well done, some fried sausages and 2-3 types of salad. By salad I mean salad leaves, sliced tomatoes, cucumbers and tuna each one in a separate bowl. They also had some pastries and fruit, but we expected more strawberries and cherries, as it was their season. Instead most of the times we got apricots and peaches and compot (pear and peach).
Dinner was the same for fruit, we had water melon twice and melon almost every day. They were cooking fish and beef or pork on a grill right there so you could have something fresh. The rest of the food was hot food. Always a type of pasta, but no pasta sauce... potatoes coked in different ways, salads. Food was not bad the first day, but it was almost the same everyday, that is why it became annoying. At least if it was something that we liked a lot, we would not have complained about it.
Most of the guests I think are russians, so maybe the food is made for them. Restaurant opening hours are also a bit funny. Everyone is there at 7 for dinner so you end up having to queue for the grilled meats. It is only after 8 that there is more room, but we found that some of the food would be gone by then, especially the desserts.
The pool is nice, there is even a very shallow one for kids, but again even that was cold. Half of it I think is in shadow most of the time. There were plenty of sun beds around, but there are no umbrellas. We never saw anyone to clean the pool which was a bit weird. Because of the trees there were a lot of leaves and flowers in the water all the time.
Hotel is a good 15 minutes walk from all the nice restaurants and shops. There are a few shops around, but all the action is further away.
All in all we had a nice time, but this had nothing to do with the hotel or the food.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Blaumar? Share your experiences!