“Good family place with fantastic food” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Blaucel

You added Blaucel to your Saves list
Blaucel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Avda Villa de Madrid 31; Blanes | 17300; Girona Espana, 17300 Blanes, Spain   |
Ranked #2 of 24 Hotels in Blanes
Moscow, Russia
“Good family place with fantastic food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

I stayed in Blaucel with my 2yo son for 10 days in August 2013. All I wanted was a relaxing getaway from my busy city life, comfortable room, good food and proximity to the beach. This hotel ticked all the boxes for me, and I am an experienced traveller who normally stays in 5-star hotels in major world destinations. Hotel is very well suited for children of all ages, there are two good indoor and outdoor pools as well as the kid's pool, and a great sandy beach just 200 m away! I also appreciated the evening programme in the hotel with the mini-disco parties each night, which my son absolutely loved. Mini club is available as well. Hotel is located in a nicer part of town which is relatively quiet and green. Most of all I loved the food, it was superb! We had buffet for breakfast, lunch and dinner, which I strongly recommend if you are there with children. Amazing variety of seafood (both grilled and cooked), great salad bar, loads of fresh fruit and yogurts, special kids menu, I enjoyed my every meal! Chef is smart to cater for all tastes, and I could find healthy meal choice with grilled fish, octopus, chicken or steaks with spinach and other vegetables in each menu. Very economic option if you are travelling with kids who are fussy eaters! Strongly recommend for young families with children, recommend to include breakfast, lunch and dinner, especially if you are travelling with kids, you won't be able to match the value and variety in any of the local restaurants. Also recommend for beach lovers, not as well suited for singles or couples as a family targeted place.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

The hotel we actually booked was the Blaumar, which is linked by a subway to the Blaucel on the other side of the street. We didn't know we were in the Blaucel instead until we checked in.

Our room request when we booked was for "high room, sea view". We were given a room on the second floor with no view of sea or pool (which was the other choice), but had a view of the back yard with a couple of old caravans. We were not impressed so we complained and were given a side sea view room, overlooking the pool on the sixth floor. Much better, but unfortunately we had to put up with separate beds instead of a double. Oh and the TV onscreen instructions were in Russian.

We booked half board and so were obliged to eat one meal each day at the hotel, which was buffet style, in the basement dining hall. The atmosphere was reminiscent of a works canteen.

On the first morning we went relatively late to breakfast, which was listed on our room card as being served from 07:30 to 10:00. We entered the dining hall at 09:50 and found that food was being cleared away, even as we tried to serve ourselves. This resulted in an immediate complaint and this didn't happen again. I also complained over the serving of squash instead of juice with breakfast, but with no success. They told everyone does the same. Not sure if this is true, but really - can't have fresh orange juice at breakfast in Spain - amazing.

Drinks were not inclusive so this did add a cost to meals and no coffee was available after dinner. You had to go to the bar for that.

I can imagine meal times being an unpleasant obstacle course to go round the buffet, when the hotel is full. There were some large coach parties in while we were there and it certainly did make meal times a bit fraught. School dinners came to mind, especially when one of the coach parties kept cheering everytime a waiter dropped a plate!

Parking was also avallable and secure, though that was another paid for extra.

Entertainment that we saw was truly cringe worthy and catering for retired age groups (or maybe their parents!). Reasonable bar prices and spirit measures that were enormous by UK standards compensated somewhat.

The decorative standard and facilities of the room were about on par with many 3 star hotels that I have stayed in on business - nothing special. There were no tea/coffee making facilities, no ironing board and no shaver point in the bathroom. On account of this last point I had to buy an adapter locally to charge my electric tooth brush, which has a shaver point plug.

The staff were efficient enough, the room was clean, but the offering in terms of facilites and ambience does not live up to its star rating. Honestly we could not see why this hotel was four star - more like three or maybe two and a half.

Room Tip: South side will have pool and side sea view. East side will have direct sea view. The higher the fl...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Leeds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2012

Our original choice hotel was n ot open so we were given the Blaucel as an alternative. We had stayed there 4/5 years ago.We were given a large room with a distant seaview. Which was well furnished with a nice bathroom.There was some enterttainment every night including a Magic Act with Parrots!. The rooms were well cleaned everyday with fresh towells and bedding change every two days.The diding room is very large and a bit regimented,but the food was excellent with fresh meat and fish cooked on a griddle,Plenty of alternatives and salad. There was a good selection of desertts.

Room Tip: Asked for a quiet room on a high floor.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Munster, Germany
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2012

Well, this hotel is intended for families, we took all inclusive. Drinks are not inclusive so prepare to pay for every drink 2-4 Euros, depending on what you order. Or, drink in your room after every meal. Actually, one will be hard pressed to drink in his room since all rooms, although reasonably clean and ordered, are unbelievable small. As the family of five, we were allocated into the corner room with two stationary beds and one additional double bed. There was literally no passage from the balcony to the toilet so the kids were forced to jump over our beds.
In most cases the reception people were friendly and helpful (there are a lot of them, speaking different languages to different contingents of people). However, there were cases when they just didn't bother to do something for us, giving us different, sometimes opposite, explanations. For example, my son managed to throw his water rifle from the balcony so that it landed on the balcony of the first floor. We asked reception to help us to get it back to us. They said, there is a rest time, we don't want to wake the people there if they happened to sleep - come to us later. We came in the evening - now the story was there is no key for this room. We came next day in the morning - again they were afraid of waking them up. Interestingly, we were able to see this rifle laying on the balcony during all this time. On the afternoon, the rifle disappeared and we realized there is nobody to complain.
The food is OK one can choose from many different dishes, the deserts are relatively poor, mostly consisting of fruits. Breakfasts are terrible, the so called "tea" and "coffee" are of lowest quality possible, we were not able to drink those. If you, however, go upstairs to the paid coffee bar, you'll find a descent quality of drinks there.
We liked the so called kids club, a supervised place where one can safely leave his kids for a period of 3-4 hours (OK only for kids aged 4 and up).
We came with the car and this was an additional problem - there is virtually no place to park your car free in this area of Blanes. I mean, there are places, but they are busy. One can have a parking place by chance or pay hotel for the parking lot (which was 13€/night in Aug 2011). Additional problem for your car parked outside could be an accidental damage by other not so good drivers, especially when they try to push their car in the small gap between your and neighbour cars.
In general, this hotel is not bad, especially for the families with kids, but I would rather give it three stars. We'll not come to this hotel anymore.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Montpellier, France
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2011

The hotel is good, nothing special. I wouldn't call it four star hotel. The AC in our room never worked properly and the room was rather small. Our mistake was that we went there in August and it was so crowded. The restaurant was very crowded and very noisy, although we never had problems with not getting enough food. When booking Full Board on the hotel's website we were not told that we would have to pay for the drinks, so it was unpleasant surprise. I didn't see option All Inclusive. We ordered once a bottle of wine and we had only half of it. We asked the servant to safe it for the next day. When we got our bottle the next day there was hardly any wine left. We didn't complain but we felt a little bit robbed. Why then to offer the guests to keep the bottle if the contents disappear anyway?
The hotel itself is a little bit dated, the hallway is dirty, the elevators are always busy, we ended up by taking stairs all the time. Clientele mostly Russians, lots of them, so you feel like you are in Russia and not in Spain. The same is on the beach. The beach is overcrowded and the sea is very deep. I wouldn't recommend it for the kids and because of the crowds there is not enough room even to play with the sand.
The staff at the hotel is very friendly and very attentive. Animation team is great, we loved minidisco in the evenings.
Our ultimate advice - don't go in August!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2011

I stayed here with my wife and two kids (ages 9 and 13). We had a super time. The hotel is clean and modern and has all of the facilities you would likely want. The staff was very helpful and multilingual. The concierge I worked with spoke fluent English, Spanish and Russian. I also heard her speaking French (so I am assuming she has that down too). The room was very pretty and we had a grand view of the sea from our balcony.

I read another review from someone from the UK who complained that there wasn't a lot to do for kids. I believe she was there in April but when I went in June it was great. You are a block from the ocean and there are a few kid friendly things nearby (like an arcade).

Pros
* proximity to good beaches
* swimming pool (indoor/outdoor)
* bar
* comfort of facilities and rooms
* attentive staff
* decent food
* great place to relax and kick back

Cons
* no English channels on the TV (this could also be a plus depending on your point of view)
* food was good.. but pretty middle of the road. They have to appeal to a lot of different people so don't expect anything terribly spicy or adventurous. But there was plenty of variety and the menu changed every day.

This hotel is a really good choice for couples or families with kids. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone looking to party (though there are places nearby for that). There is a pretty good mix of nations represented as guests.. Russians, Poles, French, and a couple of people from Britain (and at least one American-- me) so you are likely to hear a lot of languages from around Europe and the world.

Overall it was a great choice for us and I look forward to coming back

Room Tip: come just before peak season
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Brisbane, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2011

The website photos make you feel like you are in for a 'resort style' treat that you can just relax and enjoy. Wrong, the place has potential to have this but during our visit in late May it was like we were more of an incovenience. I was suprised I got a '4 Star' hotel for such a good price and now I understand. The hotel is run like a 'budget airline', any extras you pay for. If you want a safe or a mini bar in your room its extra. There was no bathroom toiletries. WiFi was available as LAN in your room that you pay for a code to use but if you want to use it in the WiFi Lobby area you have to pay for another access code. The Spa / Steam Room / Sauna on the top floor overlooking the ocean is great if you want to pay per person per half day. One day we returned early evening to find our room was not made up, when I went to reception it was like I was asking a favour to have this done as they must have forgotten and the cleaners gone home. The bar is opened until 2400hrs as advertised but try and get a drink after 2300hrs. All you get is your nights bill and they starting closing up. The location is at the furtherst end of the beach which is good for less activity but if you want the better restuarants / bars you need to walk about 20 mins. As per the title this hotel has potential to become a '4 Star' if managed probably but at the moment I think someone has stolen one of their stars.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Blaucel? Share your experiences!