“Great Location” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 15 Hotels in Ponferrada
Melbourne, Australia
“Great Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013 via mobile

Hotel was great. People at the desk really friendly. The room was big and although above the restaurant was Ok for noise. We did however have an issue with the restaurant in the evening. One of the male staff was rude and arrogant. He completely ignored us and we had to leave the table and find someone else prepared to serve us. The food was just Ok for the price. I would recommend you go elsewhere.

• Stayed August 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Colorado Springs, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Located on the main square in the old town, this hotel is a great mix of old (three converted houses) and modern. Our large room looked out on the square. It is just a few blocks to the castle. Highly recommended.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Oxford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

My hostel in Ponferrada had double booked my room so I was upgraded to Bierzo Plaza. I was delighted as I had a modern room and although I could have overlooked the Plaza I chose a quieter room thanks to my helpful receptionist. The staff couldn't do enough for me. I also ate in their restaurant, La Violeta and I hope they will get their menu translated as I missed out on specialities because despite speaking Spanish quite well, menu's have a language of their own and was beyond me! The food was very good with an appetiser which I have photographed!
The railway station is reachable on footwith a small trolley case, around 15 minutes away. The hotel location is close to the Castle and the main tourist sites as well as the Camino to Santiago de Compostela which goes past the side of the hotel.
I had a very pleasant stay!

• Stayed June 2013
Usa, Tanzania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013 via mobile

Hotel is located in a main square..nice surronding streets. Rooms are clean and tidy.but very small.

We had a doubble room and we had to step over our bags to move arround. The elevator is strangly located ...

But it is ok for a couple of nights..front desk were very nice and helpful...breakfast was simple.

In case u were driving, make sure to park in the free public parking lot across the hotel...it will save you money than the paid parking lot just adjacent to the hotel...both are same distance.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
glen ellyn
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2012

Great little hotel with very good breakfast. Had a wonderful plate of Iberico ham and a glass of wine for dinner. Unfortunate graffiti in the surrounding plaza.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
La Coruna, Spain
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2011 via mobile

We have just returned from a weekend stay (one night) in this hotel. We cannot complain about anything. From the welcome, the help of the receptionists to move around Ponferrada, the clean of the room to the view from the small balcony and the breakfast.

The room and bathroom is super clean. In the bathroom you are gonna find facilities more typical from a 4 star hotel than a 3 one.

The view from the balcony is ideal.
The hotel has 2 places to eat, La Taberna and Violeta, if I not remember bad. I would advise the first one to eat typical galician and castilla food.
La Violeta is quite expensive for what is a small city as Ponferrada, so we prefer to dinner in a small restaurant in the plaza de la basilica de la Encina.

The breakfast is quite good: croissants, cake, natural juices, spanish typical omelette, typical burgos cheese, jamon serrano, ham, cheese, chorizo, salchichon and fruits like watermelon, melon, orange, apple, etc

I just have a small complain and a little advice for you: bring with yourself earplugs as there is quite noise from the square. We talked about this with the recepcionist the morning after, and she told us that they know about this but is the Local Council that dont give the permission to them to put a doble window in the rooms.

Anyway I highly recommend you this hotel for itd location and the services you obtain. We payed 80 euro for a dobled room with breakfast included.

• Stayed October 2011
Lancaster, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2011

We were lucky enough to stay in a room at the front of the hotel with lovely views of the main town square, although it was quite due to this area being pedestrianised. We ate lunch at the hotel, which was good. The room was very clean and the air conditioning worked well (there was a heatwave while we stayed there!).

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the front of the hotel.