“Fantastic quaint accomodation” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hostal Virgen de la Encina

You added Hostal Virgen de la Encina to your Saves list
Hostal Virgen de la Encina
3, Gil y Carrasco St, 24401 Ponferrada, Spain (Formerly La Virgen de Encina Hostal Ponferrada)   |
Ranked #2 of 10 Ponferrada B&B and Inns
Brisbane, Australia
“Fantastic quaint accomodation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

I highly recommend this hostal. I was walking the Camino de Santiago. Don't be put off by the term "hostal". The tourist office gave me a list of accommodation and a few recommendations ranging from hostals, budget hotels to 3 star hotels which I briefly inspected before making the decision where to stay. I was not disappointed in my decision.

My room on the 1st floor had a renovated private bathroom, airconditioning, tv and balcony. The room had old fashion floral furnishing (not to my personal taste) but it was very clean, comfortable and quiet. There is a central lift for tired legs. Staff were very friendly and welcoming. The bar area was a great place to relax and unwind with tasty snacks and vino tinto and good for people watching. The hostal is located directly across from the tourist office and castle in the old part of the city. Great value for the price. The only negative was the patchy WIFI connection. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo

Families
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

My husband and I spent one night at La Virgen de Encina Hostal Ponferrada while walking the Camino de Santiago de Compostela. We arrived in Ponferrada by bus and it was a half-hour uphill walk from the bus station. When the Castillo Templario de Ponferrada comes into view, it is very rewarding. It is the partially restored shell of a Templar castle for the knights who once protected the pilgrims on the Camino.

We had no accommodation when we entered the Ponferrada Tourist Office (located right outside the castle walls). The woman in the office told us there was a hostel across the street… I envisioned an albergue, with many people crowded into a room full of bunk beds. She assured me the rooms in the hostel were private with their own bathrooms, so I wandered over and liked what I saw. The rooms for the hostel were over a bar. They have a small elevator that can take you upstairs, if you want. Our room had a Juliet balcony that overlooked the castle. The room was a nice-sized, clean, quiet and had a comfortable bed. The bathroom had a tub/shower with plenty of hot water and good water pressure.

In the morning you can purchase a small breakfast before you continue on your way. The woman who served us breakfast was very nice and went out of her way to make sure we were satisfied.

I liked the Old Town section of Ponferrada… the rest of this town was (in my opinion) is hard on a pilgrim. The Camino signs are few and far between, the sidewalks were cracked and uneven. A lot of pilgrims complained about getting lost trying to get out of town and I can see where this would be a problem! I, myself had to ask for help from some locals. But the Old Town has a very different feel. I am very happy we were recommended this establishment. The staff was nice, the room was very good, and the view was great! I would recommend it to anyone… but it would be an especially nice treat for a pilgrim travelling the Camino.

Room Tip: If you like good views... ask for a room overlooking the castle..
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hostal Virgen de la Encina? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Hostal Virgen de la Encina

Address: 3, Gil y Carrasco St, 24401 Ponferrada, Spain (Formerly La Virgen de Encina Hostal Ponferrada)
Location: Spain > Castile and Leon > Province of Leon > Ponferrada
Bar / Lounge Free High Speed Internet ( WiFi ) Restaurant Wheelchair access
Ranked #2 of 10 B&Bs / Inns in Ponferrada
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com so you can book your Hostal Virgen de la Encina reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.

If you own or manage Hostal Virgen de la Encina, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.