“Great staff but would only rate as a budget 3 star hotel” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Arena

You added Hotel Arena to your Saves list
Hotel Arena
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Calle El Moro - La Oliva s/n, 35660 Corralejo, La Oliva, Fuerteventura, Spain   |
Ranked #11 of 45 Hotels in Corralejo
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Great staff but would only rate as a budget 3 star hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2013 via mobile

We have just returned from a week at this hotel and first experience of all inclusive. Well I would agree with the majority of the recent reviews. This is a small hotel with great friendly staff particularly the reception and bar/buffet staff. Always smiling and fast to serve you and clear plates. The drinks in the package are good including the cocktails. The beer pump takes a bit of getting used to so much must be wasted by the constant cups of froth produced but all part of the fun!! The white wine also very nice! The food was a bit hit and miss at times. Great selection at breakfast but the lunches and dinner were a struggle at times that said if you can live on chips pizza burgers and hot dogs you will survive. Sorry but the food is not a four star selection. The rooms need an overhaul and would judge its at least 12 years since they upgraded the rooms beds are really uncomfortable and really old fashioned tv in the room only a few channels worked but to be fair it included itv + 1 and bbc1. That said the rooms and communal areas are kept spotless. The hotel needs to be stricter on smoking. people were smoking at the tables outside the buffet area even though the ashtrays were located closer to the pool area this was disgusting when people are trying to eat. Also found it frustrating that tables were not set and there was only one salt and pepper dish to share rather than on every table? Finally we were not impressed that our travel kettle cups were removed and disposed off by the cleaner!! so be aware of leaving stuff in your room that may be mistaken for hotel property or rubbish!! We would sadly not return to this hotel or resort not a patch on previous trips to Tenerife and Lanzarote. If you are looking for a cheap break at a budget hotel and all you want to do is sunbathe by a pool and you are not to fussy about your food this would be okay.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (295)
  • Polish first
Llanelli
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2013

NOV 27TH -- DEC 4TH
You have no reasons to dislike anything about this hotel.
As previously stated by many Alvaro the pool barman is superb, so friendly and helpful,unbelieveable. (even I parted with a tip at the end of the week.)lol.
ROOMS - very spacious
FOOD - very good especially for all inc. coz as usually, in my vast experience, food standard normally drop. It certainly compares to the 5 star costa adeje hotel tenerife ,that we visited in October 2012.
STAFF/ SERVICE -- superb
WEATHER -- brilliant
Resort -- good
MY WIFE AND I ARE REAL FUSSY PEOPLE !!!

Room Tip: ROOMS 401 - 410 for winter sun on patio at pool level also
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Shropshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2013

We stayed few nights at hotel Arena in Corralejo. Hotel is rather small, which is good, not crowded at all, no queues in restaurant. Two swimming pools but in November water was bit cold. Hotel its about 20 min walk to the town and 15 min walk to the nearest rocky beach, 25 min to nice sandy beach. Rooms are big enough, made every day, all area of the hotel is very clean. Food was absolutely delicious, each night different cuisine: asian, spanish, international, mexican.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Rochester
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2013 via mobile

Staff. Second to non, all very nice, helpful and polite, made us feel very welcome.
Rooms. The first room we had was of a very poor standard and although it was very clean it felt grubby from the furnishings. The bed was very uncomfortable and as a back pain sufferer left me in considerable discomfort. We did 'upgrade' our room and it was much better though.
Facilities. Ok, pool nice and clean with plenty of sun loungers. Only one bar for the evening with average entertainment which can be a pain as not much around locally.
Location. If you are content staying in the hotel no problem, there are bars within the shopping centre and of course the flint stones bar fairly close by but the main restaurants and bars are about 20 minutes walking distance.
Food. We decided to eat out a lot as the 'all inclusive fayre' not of great standard and on some occasions you could not find anything you would want to eat except pizza and chips. Remember cheap all inclusive means just that!
Overall. Hotel staff are its greatest asset but personally I probably would not stay again due to its location, food and general tiredness, definitely not four star but probably three.

• Stayed November 2013
Cardiff, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

just come back from two weeks at this hotel on nov 30. what a fab place. you got to try, great staff, lovely food, drinks a bit weak but you drink plenty so still get drunk. only letdown was entertainment very basic. when i said staff were great my thanks go out mainly to ALVARO,AIEREL and MARIO who could not have made this holiday one of the best times we have had. reception staff could not do have been more helpfull. booked taxis when we went out and also booked hire car when we asked. corralejo is a lovely place but try and get around the island you wont be disapointed. weather was out of this world for end of november back with a tan for christmas. will be going back. THANKS AGAIN ARENA STAFF. MERRY CHRISTMAS.

Room Tip: try to get rooms 312 to 320. overlooking pool area.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Sorrento, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

Just returned home from Hotel Arena on fri 29th Nov 2013. I took my mother for a wee relaxing holiday before christmas; and the hotel didn't let us down.
The buffet restaurant was great, fantastic choice, maybe too good judging by my waistline when leaving! Of course it is not 'cordon blue' food, but this is a holiday hotel!
Our holiday was made by Alvaro and staff, who made us feel very welcome and everyone was so cheerful it was infectious. We had a poolside apartment, very beautiful and clean, bathtub needs a bit of attention, but nothing to spoil our holiday. Housekeeping couldn't do enough for us, lovely lady. Hotel itself is very pretty and well looked after by the staff; the location is on the edge of corralejo but a 4 euro taxi takes you to the town centre & harbour which is a must see.
There is a lovely shopping centre '' La Campanio'' just under a 10 min walk from the hotel; lovely wee shops and the square has seats to have a cocktail or coffee whilst watching the local musicians at night... Sunday afternoon here is a pleasure!
My only complaint is about the evening entertainment, which to be honest is almost non existent, what there is can be quite 'silly', sorry guys; you need a new program!
However, there is plenty going on around you.... my recommendation is the ''Waikiki'', in Corralejo.
Overall we had a ball and i am hoping to take my sons back next year to let them experience this hotel too.
Thank you for a lovely holiday!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013 via mobile

I have spent 10 days all inclusive at this hotel with my family and only recently returned home. I have chosen to book here based on the Tripadvisor reviews and to be honest having given the opportunity I wouldn't book again here. The rooms are clean and well appointed with good bathrooms, but the beds are dreadful - they only have single beds put together and are rock hard. If you want a good night sleep, then this is not your hotel. The facilities are average and the location is not great, as the hotel is not close to any beaches. The food element is poor, although when you look at the buffet you're presented with a good amount of choice, there isn't much taste to anything - also, please know that in my day job I am Head of Food & Beverage somewhere really nice. The service in F&B however was very good indeed, friendly and accommodating. The main negative of the stay was the service at Reception, particularly from Virginia, although the first contact with her was positive. We had a good check-in experience, however walking towards the room I noticed that we have been assigned a ground floor poolside room. As we had my 4 year old son with us - and having spent 17 years in management position in some fantastic hotels - I thought that this was a very poor room allocation. The location of the room was very poor, as a 4 year old could walk right outside. Went back to Reception to Virginia to ask for a different room, the the 'two minutes ago' charming receptionist gave me the first frown of the stay. She agreed to change the room however. Later during the stay, when my wife asked her about how to get to an attraction she advised my wife to call the site - the expectation would have been for her to make the call as we don't speak Spanish, as well as being the customers. When my wife told me that Virginia advised her to make the call herself I politely asked her to do her job and call the people there, she told me that all the info I need is in the brochure and perhaps my wife cannot speak very good English, which I thought was very disrespectful. May I mention that my wife is a hotel manager in Wales for over 12 years. I asked her to stop being disrespectful as she is well on her way of ruining our experience there, but she wouldn't be stopped. Eventually I have spoken to another lady, apparently Virginia's manager - who did apologise but offered to speak to the owner "next Monday", when we were going to leave on the Saturday before. Not even in the valley of good enough. Virginia never apologised, even more than that - on our last night there at around 11pm I went to ask her for drinking water; she pointed me to either the vending machine - which was broken and she knew that - or, listen to this one, to go to the supermarket !?! I thanked, smiled and left; 10 seconds later the very nice Mario was giving me water for my son in the Bar downstairs. I would like to have the owners to have the courtesy to contact me to discuss further. Now, a bit about the island - Fuerteventura is amazing. We visited Oasis Safari park, numerous beaches, Finca Julie's horse-riding school (see some of my other reviews) and many other places and loved every moment. My advice is to hire a car to go and see places, but I cannot wait to go back. Have a nice holiday, but not at Hotel Arena. Service is decent, apart from Reception, food wise there is a lot of choice, but not much taste, the rooms are big and nice, but the beds are awful, facilities are average and the location not great as is considerably far from both town and beaches.

• Stayed November 2013

Been to Hotel Arena? Share your experiences!