“welcome Surprise” 5 of 5 stars
Review of ClubHotel Riu Oliva Beach Resort

You added ClubHotel Riu Oliva Beach Resort to your Saves list
ClubHotel Riu Oliva Beach Resort
3.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Avda Grandes Playa, 35660 Corralejo, La Oliva, Fuerteventura, Spain   |
Hotel packages
Hotel deals
Ranked #15 of 45 Hotels in Corralejo
hampshire uk
“welcome Surprise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2011

I was really surprised by this hotel after reading the previous reports on here.
My initial single room was not what I would call up to standard. I called for the manger to come and look at it which he did straight away. I was moved to another room that was just perfect without much fuss and bother.
The hotel is on the dunes beaches which are amazing. You can walk for hours without any trouble or disturbance. There are so many places to sunbathe and relax anyone can find somewhere for them. Even standing there watching the sunset is an event in itself.
The food in the hotel was fantastic. So many choices even the fussiest eater can find something and I am one of them so take my word for it. The only complaint about the food is that they do not have bacon at breakfast every day, now come on what is breakfast without bacon? I thought that if this was my only complaint then I can move on rapidly.
The staffs are among the friendliest I have ever met nothing is too much trouble for the customer. They will whatever they can to ensure you get the holiday you thought you were booking, now that is what it is all about isn’t it?
The entertainment is still what you expect when on holiday but with teh extra knowledge that the entertainment team do rehearse each day for the shows just to make sure you get a good performance from them each time.
I was All Inclusive and never had to spend a penny except for my daily newspaper to read on the beach. It was so nice to put your wallet in the safe provided and just help yourself to beers, juices and coffee or tea whenever you needed it.
I have not been back to Corralejo for two years (as you can see by my reviews) but getting a six euro taxi into the Corralejo town and be greeted by a restaurant owner who not only remembered exactly my order and how I liked my coffee but also remembered my name is amazing. That is one of the touches that make any holiday worth taking.
The hotel facilities are really well thought out and always available to use. The director knowing I train everyday asked for my opinion on what could be done to upgrade the tired gym area by coming down there with me and taking notes. He has agreed to implement my suggestions and make the improvements as soon as possible. Now I will be going back to check this.
The questions remain would I recommend this hotel and area to my friends? You bet I would. It may not be the all screaming five star hotel you would pay much more for but with the attitude of the staff to improve and provide that five star service then they will get there and you will enjoy the holiday.

Room Tip: Ask for a room over the pool less wind and see the amazing sunset
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (523)
  • Polish first
Leeds
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2011

It is difficult to be brief after such an overwhelmingly amazing holiday in this fabulous oasis.

- The annex is a set of apartments, a 30 second walk from the main hotel, private, secluded, with a far superior restaurant, a pool bar, asian restaurant, shop/supermercado, AWESOME pool lagoon style, plenty of sunbeds. palm trees and flowers. The pool is literally spotless with a central palm tree lined island.

- You can eat.drink in the main hotel, anywhere, regardless of whether you stay in the hotel or apartments. We found lots of people who bothered to come and see our side of life, from the main hotel, wished they had stayed and visited every mealtime and daytime

- SPOTLESS and cleaned relentlessly, very clean hotel

- If you find the food repetitive here, go to Blackpool. Anyone adventurous enough to try anything beyond chips n egg (like Shirley Valentine) would fin an endless amount of freshly grated salad ingrediants, outstanding homemade soups, several cheeses, many choices of h9ot food including rabbit, pork (roast pork best we have ever had), beef, turkey, pasta with several sauces, pizza, veal and chicken burgers, fresh fish, salami/chorizo, veg stirfry, canarian potatoes like smalled baked potato, chips, potato, croquettes, eggs, bacon, hotdogs, beans, fritata, gravy, the best chinese food we have had.....................
Some chewy beef in places is the only negative, overall superb, masses of options and lots vooked in front of you at the serving stations by chefs in pure white cheft outfits with the big hats :-)
The ONLY PEOPLE who found the food repetitive are the ones who say, "I don't like Chinese but i've never tried it" or "the chips aren't as good as at home".

GET A LIFE, try something different or stay at home.

Every single cleaner, bar waiter/waitress, reception staff, maintenance engineers smiled and said hello wherever you went in the hotel.

The people who moaned about the Germans also need to 'get out more'. What is it with the English (I am English). We made the effort to say 'Morgen', 'Danker shern' (excuse spelling) and to try their language and found firstly surprise and always a positive respionse. to many of you, do you know that the whole world does not speak English and nor does every race want to engage in conversation with strangers, I love that about us English but not everhyone is the same. The foreign (Swedish, German, Dutch) children were so well behaved and polite. Not like the English kids in the pool jumping onto lilo's, swimming in front of people and getting in the way as parents looked on in silence.

Ending the rant above, back to the fact this place has the most stunning beach we have seen, awesome views of Lanzarote, Lobos island, big spectacular waves, too many naked men showing off their bits although my Mr thought is was funny, aqua marine blue water and golden sands.

A bit windy but it didn't' cause too much trouble.

Apartments are basic but spotless.

Enjoy.

Room Tip: ask for an apartment overlooking the dunes and the sea
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Motherwell, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2011

I have just returned from a week here. I got a good rate for a single room, all inclusive, from First Choice. My first room had a poor view and I was quickly allocated another. Staff are friendly and attentive; food very good with a wide selection and the entertainment OK if you like mime, drag acts and basic continental knock about comedy. In one of the smaller bars there was usually a very good lady singer. The guests, while I was there, comprised about 75% German, 15% British and the rest Scandinavian. I am sure that somewhere there are Germans who are not arrogant, are not ill-mannered and are not boorish.There must be some who know "Please" and "Thank you" in any language. I wonder where they go on holiday. In thirty years of package holidaying I have never felt the need to write in these terms.
It didn't rain although the sun shone on only a couple of days.
The town wasn't busy and prices in the tourist shops seemed to me to have come down since the spring. The local marker [Mon and Fri] is worth a visit - 1.20Euros in the bus.
All in all a very good holiday.

Room Tip: For a view the higher the better. Ask for a sea view.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
Cambridge, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2011 via mobile

Read reviews so decided to pay the extra couple of quid and pay for the main hotel - well worth the minimal added expense! I even emailed the hotel prior to travel and they arranged a 6th floor room facing the pool and dunes - views were amazing!
All staff were extremely helpful, especially bar and reception staff - possibly friendliest i've ever encountered.
The food was of a very good standard and always fresh and hot. This said, very repetitive and needed to eat out in Correlejo one of our 7 nights to break things up a bit! But this isn't a complaint as I know how hard it must be to please everyone and was produced every hour of the day was fantastic!
The beach is amazing and spent every day sunbathing amongst the nudies in the dunes. Even in December we were in shorts and sunburnt daily.
Correlejo is a great night out and for 8 euros you can taxi into the town and mooch around shops bars and restaurants for hours. 'Flicks' bar was great so spent two nights their drinking and singing dodgy karaoke haha.
Would definitely go back to Fuerteventura (easily the nicest Canary island) and definitely stay at the Riu Oliva again. It's location in the National Park is second to none! Would recommend this hotel and location to anyone seeking good service, lovely surroundings and a location close to a charming Spanish town.

• Stayed December 2011
Scotland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2011

After reading reviews on here we realised we would be situated in the annex as we had 5 yr old with us and never paid for sea view. We were allocated 3117 which couldn't have been further away from the main hotel but it was in a quiet area overlooking the garden. The room, well, it was clean and large and the shower was quite powerful but it was tired with orange wood furniture, like a throw back from the 70's! Decision was made to spend as little time as possible in the room!
There are 2 pools at the Oliva Beach. The main pool at the hotel and a good sized pool at the annex side. Most of the facilities are at the main pool although there is a bar at the annex side where you can help yourself to juices, coffee and wine and beer. You have to place towels on sunbeds early to get a decent place. Something we've never done in the past but this hotel is 90% German. If you can't beat them.... We were in the old timers dancing bar quite late one night and watched this German place his towels on the loungers at 0055 hours then 5 minutes later another German did the same. After enjoying too many honey rums... I'm ashamed to say we completed a scientific assessment to confirm if towels float in pools. They did not!!
The food is probably one of the best all inclusive hotels I've stayed in. Plenty of choice with 'show cooking' most days. Usually you tend to get bored of the same sort of food but there was that much choice you really had to struggle to come away unimpressed. We visited the Mandarin restaurant once during our 2 week stay and I found it to be very good but my partner wasn't impressed and preferred the main food hall. Can't comment on the Canarian one as we didn't stay there.
Kids club was well organised and our little boy loved going, so much so he kept asking to go in the afternoons too. All the kids club staff were really friendly and I felt very happy he was being well looked after.
The beach is absolutely gorgeous but the sea is a tad rough with powerful waves. Had a good giggle at most people taking a tumble but stopped laughing when it was us tumbling. Walked into the dunes and found old nudists everywhere. Extremely windy, probably fine in summer but in November just a bit too chilly to enjoy sunbathing.
We sunbathed around the annex pool as it was more sheltered there.
We visited the entertainment hall a couple of nights and I have never seen such rubbish. All the shows were mimed and the 'tranny night' just broke us. Thought it would be a bit of a comedy night with audience participation but no just male entertainers dressed very seriously in dresses miming to Cher! There was an Indian night, I can't remember the name of the dancers but they were brought in from outside and were really good.
We tended to go to the bar near the cards room where they had live singers on and the old folk would get up dancing. More of an atmosphere.
Pool towels..... we always bring our own and after reading that annex residents don't get pool towels we just brought our own, however after leaving the towels out to air one day and going out into Corralejo for the day we found the towels to be soaked from rain for the next day. I visited reception and requested towels for the day. I was told NO! You are staying in the annex no towels for you. I explained it was only for the day. After a very much heated argument we received towels but I was quite annoyed.
Reception give you bottled water whenever you require it for your room so it's not all bad.
We were about 6km from Corralejo and went a few times by bus or taxi (bus about 3 euros and taxi 6 or 7) which got us out of the hotel.
Hired a car for the day about 34 euros and saw most of the island and noticed that Caleta de Fuste is a newer more modern resort and prices much cheaper for food and drinks. Corralejo looked a bit run down in places.
Would we go back again? No. Especially the Oliva. There's so few British there that you tend to be by yourselves too much. By the 2nd week we had made friends with some lovely people but the majority of Germans are quite standoffish, jump queues, steal sunbeds, wear speedos or nothing that it just wasn't atmospheric. Apologies to the lovely Germans we made friends with but you were in the minority.

Room Tip: If you want peace go for the annex. If you want pool towels and a better standard of accomodation th...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Burnley, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2011

Just got back from our 6th stay at Oliva beach. Having read previous reviews we have to say we agree the annexe is by no means 4* but the main hotel is. We have stayed in the annexe quite a few times and for the price it is fine.

We just wanted to air our views regarding the annoying habit from our German friends of reserving the sunbeds. We normally spend our days on the beautiful beach but it really was quite windy this time so we decided to spend time round the pool instead.We had finished our breakfast and were ready by 9.30 am but you had no chance of getting a bed. My husband finally gave in to the 'if you can't beat them join them' and went to put towels on the beds at 7.30 the next morning and even at that time there were hardly any beds so I agree they must have been reserved the night before. THIS REALLY ISN'T FAIR! I think the hotel should set out strict rules that beds should not be reserved especially not the night before but I feel they must be afraid of doing this for fear of losing so many of their German customers. We were particularly appalled one day when a German gentleman reserved a few beds very early and never spent one single minute on them. Downright bad manners!

Apart from this we had a fab time. As mentioned the beach is probably one of the best in Europe although it was a little cool this time due to the wind. Food was great as usual and staff are exceptional. You do feel in the minority with our German friends but apart from the sunbed scenario they are ok.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2011

We have just returned from this hotel which is perfect in most departments. The location is second to none as long as you dont mind been a distance from the town, the beach is fabulous and the sea crystal clear with some fun waves, look out for the jellyfish though, boy they can sting. The hotel employ the most cheerful and helpful staff we have ever encountered nothing is to much trouble and they always served us with a smile, The food and drinks are the best we have ever had at an all inclusive hotel and unlike other hotels they almost encourage you to stay up late and enjoy the hospitality, if you wish you can get drinks upto 2am. Plenty sunbeds but quite a few shaded at this time of the year, the daily sunbed reserving is worst here than ever encountered elsewhere with the best spots been reserved at 10.30pm the night before (had some fun moving some towels and watching the antics the following morning) these people are professional reservers with clips ,straps, pillows ,booby traps and snipers to get the beds they want.
Now to the only downside, we booked online and was allocated a room in what they call the annexe at the rear of the hotel, our first room was nothing better than a prison cell with a bedroom with no window, after feeling clostrophobic within 30 seconds i asked at reception to change rooms, our second room was better with a patio door in the bedroom, the rooms were massive but very very basic, a whitewashed box with a scattering of 1980's orange pine furniture, the accoustics from next door were unbelievable you could hear them breath in the bathroom let alone anything else. Whenever we showered the plug hole in the bath was that rusted it used to flood the bathroom floor and the sink was hanging onto the wall just about by a couple of rusty screws. Thomas Cook rate this hotel as 4 star , if you get a room in the main hotel you will have a holiday of a lifetime and you would not dispute the rating. The rooms we experienced in the annexe are no better in my opinion than 2 star and i feel Thomas Cook need to make customers aware of the difference in quality of the two sites, i am by no means a snob but we spent as little time as possible in our room as we felt uncomfortable all the time we were in there.
In short stay in the main hotel preferebly on the pool side and you will have a fab time.

Room Tip: Dont stay in the annexe unless you want to be reminded about your 18-30 holiday to Kos
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to ClubHotel Riu Oliva Beach Resort? Share your experiences!