“Loud-Not For Business Travelers” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Norton
Roanoke, VA
“Loud-Not For Business Travelers”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

Recently spent two weeks in this hotel and was not impressed at all. First off the hotel may say Holiday Inn but nothing reminded me of a Holiday Inn. The funiture was cheap, with stains and torn leather on the desk chair. The walls are extremly thin which makes for a loud hotel. If you do stay here ask for a odd numbered room so you will not be forced to listen to coal trucks go over the bridge behind the hotel. There were even ear plugs offered in my room if that tells you how lound it gets. I found the internet to be extremly slow and unreliable. Expect a cold shower if you don't shower before 8am. The resturant/bar was nice and had decent food.

Also during my stay we were hit with bad weather, mainly freezing rain and sleet. The first morning after the storm my car was covered in ice. I went to the front desk where they had a ice scraper for their guest's to use, which I thought was really nice. I returned to the hotel later but had to leave again. Once again my car was overed in ice. This time when I asked for the ice scraper I was told one of their employees took it home beause the employee didn't have one at their home! Also I guess the hotel does not have a contract with a snow removal company because the parking lot was never scraped or salted after the storm---2 days later the sun eventually melted it all.

The staff was alwasy friendly and helpful. And my room was always cleaned really well. As many problems as their is with this hotel I'm not sure if the other hotels in the area are any better.

Room Tip: Ask for a odd numbered room
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Jackie S, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Norton, responded to this review, February 9, 2013
Thank you very much for staying with us at the Holiday Day Inn of Norton. We always strive for our guests to have the best hotel experience every. Our hotel staff does a wonderful job and we always share our guest comments with them. We appreciate all of your comments and suggestions.

We sincerely apologize for any inconveniences that you encountered during your stay. During your next visit to our area please come by for a complimentary dinner at our excellent restaurant.

Again, thank you for your patronage.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

I stayed at the Holiday Inn at Norton VA for a couple of nights on a business trip. The hotel staff were professional and courteous... Room was clean... The restaurant on the 5th floor had a great bacon cheeseburger.

The only problem with the hotel is excessive traffic and train noise due to location. Definitely request a room on the parking lot side, as far away from the train tracks as possible.

• Stayed January 2013
Jackie S, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Norton, responded to this review, January 27, 2013
Thank you for staying with us and we appreciate all your comments about our hotel.
We want our guest to have the best hotel experience ever and that is our goal at the Holiday Inn of Norton.

Please feel free contact us if we can be any assistance on your next visit with us.

Thank you again and look forward to seeing you soon!!!
Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

When I look at reviews from Trip Advisor I try to look first at the negative reviews first to understand the problems that travelers have had. Often there are proper concerns and often they are just off base. So for someone to complain about coal trucks or an occasional train in the heart of coal country is downright stupid. What do you expect. This fairly new Holiday Inn is exactly as described in other reviews. As a relatively new facility with excellent and safe parking it is right as you enter Norton, Va. The rooms are comfortable, clean decently appointed. The restaurant fills the bill. If your coming from afar, there is no need to worry when you stay here.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
We appreciate all your wonderful comments about our hotel. We want all our guests to have the best hotel experience ever.
Thank you very much for staying with us and we look forward to your next visit.
Gautier, Mississippi
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

stayed here during the Christmas holiday. the room was fantastic, the bar tender was roude
and not in the sprite of Christmas. kept saying how much she hated Christmas. the so called
5 star restaurant really sucked. do not order the potato soup, and do not order a grilled cheese
sandwich, tasted like it was basted with old fryer oil. the ribs so called bbq ribs had no flavor.
went for breakfast the next morning, my eggs were over cooked, the fryed potatoes had been
fryed maltible times so hard could not eat. ordered a pork chop and got ham instead. they said

that was their pork chop. so with that saying, do not eat at the restaurant. 2 thumbs down!!!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Jackie S, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Norton, responded to this review, December 26, 2012
We at the Holiday Inn want to thank you for staying with us and appreicate your business.
At this time we would like to apologize for any inconveniences that ocurred during your stay.
Please contact me if you would like to discuss your stay with us as we want all our guest to have a pleasant experience at our hotel.
Again, thank you for your patronage.
Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012 via mobile

I stayed here based on Trip Advisor and Yelp reviews. I'm glad I did. I was quite tired after a long day when I arrived. Check-in was quick and the young woman at the desk was friendly and efficient. My king room on the fourth floor was squeaky clean, nicely appointed, the wi-fi was super fast and the bed was extremely comfortable. I awoke refreshed and discovered that my window revealed beautiful mountains with tops shrouded in fog. I was happt to discover that the showerhead was high enough for my 6'3" to actually stand under. This is rare and I always appreciate it. The water pressure was good and strong. Breakfast in the grill was delicious and the service was courteous and prompt. I strongly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed October 2012
Thank you very much for your wonderful review of our hotel.
We want all our guest to have the best hotel experience ever.

We appreciate your business and hope you will visit us again.
Yuma, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

This seems to be a new Holiday Inn. Was greeted by a very professional employee,Brandon. He was very friendly and even up graded our room. Brandon also made suggestion for eating at their restaurant and gave me a coupon for the restaurant. Our room was a King suite and was extremely nice.The room had a microwave and refrigerator and seperate area with sofa and HDTV. The King Bedroom also has its own HDTV. The room was very clean and the bed very comfortable. We had dinner at the hotel's resturant. The resturant is on the fifth floor with great views of the mountains. Our waitress was very friendly and offered advice on things to do in the area. The food was also good. We had no problems with noise and the Wifi worked great! I had read reviews on tripadvisor and had chose Holiday Inn because of the reviews. I was so glad that we chose this hotel. We travel with our pet so I was thankful that this hotel is pet friendly. Cannot say enough good things about this hotel. Very friendly staff and would stay here again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Jackie S, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Norton, responded to this review, October 27, 2012
Our staff at the Holiday Inn want to take this opportunity to thank you for your wonderful review of our hotel. We appreciate all your compliments of our staff and look forward to your next visit with us.

Thank you again and it was a pleasure to have you stay with us!!!
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

Norton's newest hotel. Your typical new Holiday Inn. Since it's new you get modern furnishings, an HDTV, and not much wear and tear - although one of the arms of the desk chair in my room was scuffed up real bad and the chair should be replaced. I had read the reviews about asking for an odd numbered room to avoid the noise from the busy road right next to the hotel. I was given an even numbered room on the third floor and worried, but the sound at night was minimal since I left the bathroom fan on. Even though I couldn't hear any outside noise I wore ear plugs just to be safe. They provide some in your room, but I brought my own.

I didn't use the pool so I can't speak about that. I ate breakfast there. It was good, but I didn't like that I had to pay for it. Most hotels these day offer a free breakfast. $2.50 for two slices of bacon is ridiculous. The restaurant is nice though, on the 5th floor with windows on three sides, offering panoramic views of the mountains. They were especially pretty when I was there, with the Fall foliage at its peak.

Staff were all very nice and cleaning didn't seem to be an issue. Wifi in my room wasn't that great. Just one "dot" on my smart phone most of the time, unless I moved closer to the door. There's no Sprint service in Norton it seems (or much of SW VA) so I had to depend on the free wifi. There was no fridge or microwave in the room. This needs to change. We are in the 21st century and still shouldn't have to lug ice buckets down the hall while in our bathrobes to get a bucket of ice. Soda machines are on every floor and a snack machine is located by the pool. There's a CVS across the street. There's traintracks behind the hotel, but I never heard a train. The high school is on the other side of the bridge over the traintracks.

Overall a central location and the newest hotel in Norton make this the place to stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the parking lot.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
We at the Holiday Inn of Norton want to thank you for your recent stay with us. Thank you for visiting our Park Avenue Bar and Grill and your wonderful comments about our food. The Holiday Inn of Norton strives to give our guests "THE BEST HOTEL EXPERIENCE EVER".
We appreciate all your comments and concerns and look forward to your next stay with us.

Been to Holiday Inn Norton? Share your experiences!