“"Que?"” 2 of 5 stars

Secluded & peaceful location
Nice rooms
Nice goats
The Masseuse
Breakfast - good variety, eggs available and offered

Negatives: The lack of good management resulted in poor service quality, examples include -

No 24 hour service. This is required in a 5 star hotel. We arrived late. Fortunately the night porter, working his first night, went to the kitchen and made us a sandwich!
Our dirty dishes from the sandwich were removed from our room on day 3, after putting them next to the front door
Other dishes were not removed from the room at all
The restaurant staff are well-meaning but are pretty hopeless - e.g. orders forgotten, very slow service, bread offered with desert?!, the language barrier became tiresome after a while
Inadequate warm water from the shower (it was just off cold the whole of our stay). We mentioned this to the Manager who shrugged and said 'sorry'
Lack of water pressure from the shower
The pool area is not cleared until the next morning
We had a storm in the afternoon - the sun bed mattresses were not collected in and so were soaked for the next day
Very limited waiter service around the pool
The pool bar was shut
The access road is notoriously bad - it feels like you're entering Jurassic Park. It didn't bother us but it is quite a drive back to the village
Restaurant - average although we had a good steak

In summary - a great location if you want to get away from it all but only 2* very lazy service. We actually had a relaxing time but we did not expect the staff to be as equally lethargic; for that we would have to rank the experience as disappointing from a hotel claiming to be 5 star quality.

Would we go again? - unfortunately 'no'.

Room Tip: Get a room as close to the pool as possible. We had room 20 which was up a flight of stairs and over...

64 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Bedford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

We were staying in a villa close by and thought we would try the hotel for dinner. Its a long bumpy ride to get there so be prepared. My food was fine but the wife was not happy with her fish which did not look particularly good to the eye . Service was slow but the staff were pleasant . Family near us move inside as the wasps attacked their table . Staff were quickly on the scene but it seems its a regular thing. Dishes of food put on the walls to distract the wasp did the trick . I must say the drive back did play on my mind during dinner and i was glad to get back into the village in one piece . Sorry but not worth the effort to get there .

Brighton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

I'd really recommend this place, ideal for a weekend or short break to relax. The people that work there were very nice with us and provided a great service.

It doesn't take too long to get there from the airport and neither to Palma (main city).
I love Mallorca.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Towcester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

Please don't be put off by the negative comments that others have left - the location and setting of this hotel is wonderful. However, if you are a beige kind of person who likes flat tarmaced roads, identikit hotels with over-zealous service then this is not the place for you. If you enjoy exploring off the beaten track then the road is really not a problem, yes there are potholes and it is dusty but it's realy not that bad... Our room was lovely - I enjoyed the low lighting and lack of hotel 'stuff' lying around. This is really a small boutique hotel with a small yet very competent and friendly staff - perhaps it is more akin to 4 star in that there is no drinks service round the pool and the breakfast buffet was only OK - the trick is to ask them to make you a coffee from the restaurant machine - don't try the stuff in the flask! Highlights: amazing mountain views, natural, remote, quiet location, gorgeous restaurant. Lowlights: only tepid water (it was being fixed) so couldn't really enjoy the bath tub or shower... Lots of wasps - no traps or any attempt to get rid of them... But this is a great romantic getaway - we spent the first 3 nights of our honeymoon here and it was great - but it would not be good for kids - there were some there and they were pretty bored... or for those who want to be super pampered. It felt like out own little villa for a few days which was just what we wanted...

Room Tip: As the site is pretty spread out, it might be worth asking for a room close to the pool if you plan...
Storrington, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

Me and my wife decided that after a long and busy period needed to go away and recharge our batteries and booked a short break to Majorca.
The hotel looked fantastic on the website and were reassured by the five star rating.

The experience was far from what I would expect from five star service for the following reasons:

ARRIVAL
I think that is important to make sure your clients are aware about location and exact directions to be provided. The direction from airport never mentioned the 5 plus km you still have to drive from Puigpunyent. I’m sure that pregnant, and people with medical conditions wouldn’t be very happy to be in such a remote location.
We had a late arrival and in the dark the road leading to the hotel isn’t the most pleasant experience.
It would be reassuring to indicate the distance left to reach the hotel on the various signs on the road.
When we finally arrived we had to ask for food and the night porter made us some sandwiches. While waiting for the food we couldn’t have a drink due to the lack of a bottle opener in the room.
I also felt that the night porter should have offered to collect the food tray or at least tell us to put it out for him to collect later.

ROOM
The room is decorated very well but very poorly lit.
No folder with info about hotel facilities. We did get a tour by receptionist the next morning.
No stationery.
The general feel is that attention to details expected in a 5 star is seriously lacking.
Dirty terrace
Missing patio door handle
Broken patio door
Broken front door
Minibar items not replaced regularly Tumblers for water not replaced once

SWIMMING POOL
What an asset, as you approach this area you really feel you want to spend some time here but at closer inspection you find:
Outlook from the poolside very poor
Loungers very dirty
No service

SPA
No onsite staff for treatments told to ask at reception if wanting to book any No supervision or anyone able to explain how to use the facilities No instructions in English SPA showers not fully operational Ice machine not working. Wet room not disinfected and smelling of mould Not quite how described on website 1 of 10 best spa hotels in Spain/Majorca

BAR SERVICE
Not 5 star service
Not once asked by anyone if wanting something to drink On 2nd night while waiting for my wife to get ready I went to the bar area and was ignored by staff. Asked for wine list so I could order a bottle of Cava but no one came back to take an order.
My wife joined me and we sat in the restaurant and had to wait another 30 minutes before we managed to get a drink We actually got our food before our wine order

RESTAURANT
Breakfast is adequate apart from not offering butter and having to share cushions and salt/pepper shakers with other tables Dinner not good value for money and not enough choice especially when the nearest village is at least 5 km away I've seen at least another 3/4 guests complaining for one reason or another On our last meal I had to send my meat back 3 times The table next to us also had to send their fish course back twice.
I wasn't charged for my main course and given a free bottle of wine but my bill was still over €85 I think that the whole meal should have been FOC

GENERAL
The place is beautiful but is very badly run There is a lack of management presence and the staff although trying very hard are very incompetent and unable to speak to its international clientele.
There are a lot of missed opportunity to up sell and make sure this place remains profitable and able to deliver a better service
On Sunday evening at about 10.30 / 11.00 the hotel experienced a power cut which meant the A/C wasn’t working and no hot water.
At breakfast we were told that the generator is broken and will be fixed ASAP, we obviously didn't want to hang around and wait so we decided to go out for the day.
I don't know when the power supply was fixed.
On our return I was expecting some form of an apology and perhaps a gesture of goodwill for the inconvenience caused.
Due to our early departure on Wednesday morning I wanted to settle our bill the night before and when I went to reception we found 3 un-uniformed young persons.
Two of these didn't even acknowledge our arrival and continued their activities on their laptops.
The person behind the desk informed me that he couldn't help with my bill but someone will be in at 7am able to help.
I requested a 6.30 wakeup call to give us enough time to settle our bill and catch our flight.
The wakeup call never happened and I saw the night porter walking to the reception way past 6.45, when we went to reception at 7 he claimed to have called us and that when he saw the lights on didn't feel the need to come and knock at our door to make sure.
The person we had to wait for didn't show till gone 7.10 and without any apology arranged our bill.
I asked for a contact so that I could write in some comments and he promptly introduced himself as the manager but didn't enquiry how our stay was.

We are very disappointed with how this Hotel is run and hope that my comments and those from other past clients on trip advisor will help you in addressing these issues and would love to wish you a successful future as the settings are very beautiful but the hotel is run to 2/3 star standards.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Miami Beach, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2011

The ES RATXO PUIGPUNYENT in Mallorca

What a disappointment. Getting there from the airport is an 40 Min. adventure, if not scary. Small roads full of potholes, dangerous curves and ravines that I would not want to drive after dinner at night, or on a rainy day. Even on a good day, one is sitting on the edge of his seat. Very far from everything, if ones need to be rushed to the hospital, you will die before you get rescued. We watched an ambulance taking more than an hour to get to a hotel guest.

The personnel at breakfast and dinner was pleasant and competent, but the receptionist was out of her league, she did not give the impression that she completed Hotel Management School, too rough and unaccommodating, customer service not her "forte".

The hotel seems to cater to the German tourists, but it beats me why the menu had hardly any local dishes, we had to specifically ask to get a Paella with 2 days notice. At breakfast pitiful, only margarine, the cheapest yogurt, well the jam never had anything so bad.....
It was nice to see peacocks roaming the hotel, but no one cleaned up their droppings. Also, it was impossible to get rid of the wild goats, eating everything in sight.

After a few days one noticed that the place was run by absent management, only occasional visits from the owner in Madrid. Not sure why this hotel is still open, depressing place. Almost all the guests told us once and never again.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Bristol
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2011

We stayed 5 nights in this hotel and had a pleasant and relaxing time. I didn't find the roads to the property as bad as I had expected from reading previous reviews. Yes, they are steep and bumpy but not dangerous or frightening in any way. Our room was spacious and comfortable but a little dull and uninviting. Some flowers or more colourful cushions would have been nice but it was very clean and perfectly acceptable. The pool was great and the outside dining area very appealing with candles, etc. The food was good but not amazing, apart from the breakfast which was excellent. The staff was delightful - helpful, friendly and very pleasant. I couldn't fault the service in any way. The one problem for me with this hotel was all the costly extras - a bread roll at dinner 2.50, half litre water 4.00, as well as the cost of the actual dinner - 13.00 euros for 3 scallops. I just felt this was not good value and resented paying this amount. Also there was no coffee/tea making facilities in the room. Fortunately, I had read this on a previous review and took a travel kettle which probably saved a fortune. We also visited the local supermarket and bought wine, beer, etc to store in our minibar. Rather mysteriously though, our corkscrew disappeared after a couple of days! Overall, I enjoyed the holiday but wouldn't return as I found I slightly anxious all the time but the cumulative cost of all the extras.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Es Ratxo Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!