Without doubt this was the worst holiday accommodation we have had in some 30 years of foreign package holidays.
Our holiday was a 2 week package--self catering.
After a great flight/ transfer we arrive at 20.30pm but check in at the complex seemed to take forever- eventually we were allocated our block--Minerva 2---a large 8 floor block. On making our way to the room, first impression was of typical self catering accommodation, fairly basic but clean.
As a previous post--definitely won't be going back!
However when we tried to use the two ring cooker, it wouldn't work and worse still I received a large electric shock from it. The kettle was also very temperamental---plug socket was worn/loose.
The following day we reported the faults and were told it would be attended to. Later that day we returned and again tried to use the cooker rings--no electric shock--instead it just kept tripping the electric. Despite reporting it again this fault was not sorted during our 2 week stay leaving us with just a dodgy kettle and a microwave to 'self cater'. (Some rooms didn't appear to have a microwave).
A day or so later we noticed we were getting up in the morning covered in bites. We are no strangers over the years to many insect/ pests---mosquitoes, ants, cockroaches,scorpions and other pests/ infestations---we have encountered them all at some stage. However these were the worst---there were no mosquitoes or ants in Minerva 2----then the penny dropped---these were bed bugs or some kind of lice. We complained to reception---they sent someone to change the sheets-but this did not stop the bites. We also noticed other people in the same block also covered in bites--large red welts the size of a mans thumb nail. It would seem many, though not all, of the rooms in Minerva 2 are infested with biting insects in the mattresses.
Some 5 days into our two week stay, late in the afternoon we heard frantic knocking at the door of our room--on answering it a man told us there was a fire in the building and to get out---we grabbed valuables and exited straight away. Outside were many residents of the block pointing to black smoke coming from a 6th floor room. There were still people on the two higher floors. Smoke was filling corridors---but still no emergency alarms had sounded. Some 5 to 10 minutes later 3 fire appliances, two police cars and an ambulance arrived---just in time to hear the alarm sound to cheers from the crowd below. Equipped with breathing apparatus the fire men entered the building and eventually dealt with the fire. They then employed special fans to clear the building/ corridors of smoke.
When we were eventually allowed back in the building we noticed the smoke detector in our room, which had previously been blinking red LEDS, had stopped---it seems the smoke detection system wasn't working and had been turned off. It didn't work for the rest of our stay.
Some days latter we were in our room around 10 o'clock at night when I heard a faint noise. At first I wondered if we had left a tap on---checked the bathroom - all fine. Eventually after looking all round the room we opened the door to the corridor----the alarm -- faint tinkling sound--was active. People on our side of the block, facing the road with loud music---mentioned on other posts---couldn't hear the alarm. Again we evacuated the building but this time it was a false alarm. It did however make clear how bad the safety situation is in this block regarding the fire systems.
In addition to the serious gripes above, despite being given a sheet at check-in clearly stating room service 3 times a week, we had to ask that the bin in our room be emptied---after 5 days the room hadn't been touched. When we told reception about the '3 times a week service' they asked us where we got such information---we pointed to the sheet they gave us---then a long silence---'OK we will send somebody'. In two weeks our room was done 4 times---including our additional request.
Our brochure also mentioned lots of other on site activities, suggesting there may be a small local charge---picture of tennis courts. So we took our tennis rackets etc---only to find it was 10 euros per hour. Seemed like just the pools and sunbeds were without charge.
This was the most disappointing accommodation we have ever had---the electrics needed completely re doing, many rooms are infested with biting insects (bed bugs) and there are serious issues to do with fire safety in the block. Add to that long check in, poor room service and expensive on site facilities---not good.
Plus points--plenty of hot water---room had TV with a few UK channels (free to use)--friendly, hard working (too much to do) cleaning/ site staff.
Alcudia is a great place for all sorts of holiday makers---lots to do ranging from typical beach/ bar/disco/ eating out / families to history---old Alcudia walled town Roman remains---to activity holiday including watersports and base for cycling/walking in the amazing mountains.
Previously we have stayed twice in Alcudia, twice in Peurto Pollensa, Cala D'Or and Sa Ponsa in addition to many holidays throughout the Med, the Canaries, numerous Ski holidays, Canada etc.
Avoid Minerva 2 block---also rooms facing the main road are noisy and without sun at any time of day...
See more room tips
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.