“Just the job” 4 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added Hotel Gabarda to your Saves list
and 1 more site!
Hotel Gabarda
1.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Roses Bermejo 26, 07181 Palmanova, Calvia, Majorca, Spain   |
Ranked #8 of 38 hotels in Palmanova
“Just the job”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013 via mobile

Spent 3nights here for a lads,well mid forties break. Six of us and we all found the hotel to be clean relaxed and the staff to be very friendly. If your looking for a bargain break this is the place.

194 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

Our first time staying at Gabarda was in 2012. We loved it, yes for some basic, but what more do you need for a holiday in the sun?
We returned this year and were not disappointed. The new bathrooms are not only stunning, but very practical when returning from the beach, hoping in a lovely shower was very refreshing.
Both me and my fiancee are used to the spanish beds (which are not like the UK) and in fact now enjoy having our own separate beds fir the week!! Especially when it is hot, yes no AC can be an off putting thought, but with the fan on and open the door, your room can be refreshingly cool fairly quickly.
We spend most of our days out exploring or swimming on the beaches, and dining in the evening. We are not the hardcore party people, but love the location, away from the main streets of Palmanova, so is fairly quiet. Ok guests can sometimes be a bit rowdy, but we don't mind and also have seen the way the hotel ensures all guests are respected and do deal with any noise issues where they arise which was very reassuring.
We love the relaxed and friendly atmosphere in the hotel, it makes us feel like we are at home and having no tv etc. helps us to make the most of our holiday, getting out and enjoying the beaches and bars.
Breakfast - now we adore that in what we feel is a bargain price you get a fry up!! Some say basic, we say filling yummy and just what the doctor ordered. Knowing you can top it up cheaply too is also great.
Having been back 2 weeks we have already booked our return and could not recommend this hotel enough. Whether you want to head in to Magaluf and party or see more of the family calmer side to Palmanova this hotel is perfect.

spain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

I have to say that I was surprised to read such a bad review by lozzypops. I live on the island but often stay in hotels when I have friends and family over from England. I always recommend this hotel when people come over because of it's excellent price/quality ratio. The last time I stayed at the hotel was in August when my family were over. We ate breakfast every day at the hotel and none of us experienced any stomach upset. I find it a bit strange that they are getting blamed for somebodies stomach problems when the kitchen isn't even open all day so it is impossible that this was the only place where they ate food. The kitchen is a semi outdoor kitchen so when they say that the cook was smoking just outside the kitchen they failed to mention that she was actually outdoors. I believe that the eggs are cooked the English way in a frying pan not on the hot plate with the meat and as far as I can remember the food is kept in refrigerated trays. I believe that there are other breakfast options available if you don't want cooked food but because the fried breakfast is so good we always have that.
They complained about the mattress being uncomfortable and I agree that some people like hard matresses and some soft ones. When my cousin had a mattress that he didn't like last year he asked at reception and it was changed for her the same day.
I don't know if there is some sort of hidden agenda for such a bad review but they seem to be accusing the hotel of things that either they didn't complain about at the time or things that they have no idea if the hotel food is to blame for.
I really think there may be some sort of ulterior motive to the bad review. The hotel is basic but clean with very friendly helpful staff and I will still carry on recommending this hotel to my family and friends and staying there with them occasionally. .

Room Tip: My advice is that if you have a problem talk to the girls on the reception. They have always been m...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Manchester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013 via mobile

I want to make this as balanced as possible so I'll start with the good points. The hotel is as described, it's basic but clean and the lady (Adele) at reception is very helpful and friendly. The bar men are also friendly and polite, even to the rude, ignorant people that forget their manners.

The hotel is located at the end of palma nova and we knew this before we booked, walking distance of all the bars and restaurants and magaluf is close enough to walk to.

We had a top floor room in the main hotel building with a big balcony, room was clean and towels were changed each day. We had what looked like a newly fitted bathroom with shower cubicle. This is as far as the good points go.

We are a young (ish) couple and did our research before booking. We knew we were not heading for 5 star luxury, just a place to sleep and a breakfast to set us up for the day.

The beds are shocking. From the 1st night we were both in agony, every possible sleeping position was impossible. The shower, when water eventually made its way out the shower head was a pathetic drizzle. No good for girls washing long hair.

Now for the food. Wow. Diabolical. If that kitchen was in the UK it would be shut down immediately. We were both ill for the 1st part of the holiday and after reading a review about the breakfast whilst staying there, decided to give it a miss to see if this was what was making us so ill. It was. On our last day, we sat by the pool and the unsupervised kitchen was left wide open for the 2 hours we were there and god knows how long before and after. We discovered why we were so ill. The raw bacon and sausages were left uncovered and unchilled, next to each other (with salad in the next tray) and had been that way for sometime as the top slices of bacon had gone hard. This was food obviously prepared for the following morning. It was at least 30 degrees and a hell of a lot of flies hung around the pool area, this was obviously why. The sausage, bacon and egg were all fried on 1 gridle too and Christine the chef, smoked virtually in the kitchen (we r smokers ourselves). I only wish I had taken a photo of the state of this.

I get that this is a 'cheap and cheerful' hotel but to return home poisoned from the food and aching from head to toe is just wrong. Just because it's cheap, u expect to be able to eat the food without worry and sleep without waking up feeling like a 90 year old. We will not be returning and would not be recommending this place.

We are laid back and would not complain about petty things but this was just shocking.

We mentioned what we had seen when we checked out

Blackpool
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

Just returned from a 3 night, very last minute getaway. We wanted a bed & shower, cheap but clean & basically that's what we got. We weren't expecting much for the money we paid, £20 pppn bed & breakfast in the Gill Hostel. When we arrived we were greeted by the very friendly receptionist who put us in the hotel building (think this was an upgrade!) but the room was ok, first floor, two single beds (they weren't very comfy) but clean, bathroom was adequate with shower over bath, good hot water. The bathroom did smell a little damp. Each day we could tell that someone had been in to empty the bins, make beds & leave clean towels. The breakfast was a 'full English' 1 bacon, 1 sausage, 1 egg, beans & toast. The first morning the lady made ths & it's was good, second day when the guy made breakfast it was rather swimming in fat. The pool is small, but looked clean & although the pool area small it was clean & tidy. Good bar area serving drinks & snacks. All the staff were lovely & extremely welcoming & helpful. 5-10 min walk down to beach & Palma Nova. We were pleasantly surprised, for what we paid. Wouldn't want to stay for more than a few days, as beds were rather uncomfortable.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Toni L, General Manager at Hotel Gabarda, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
Thankyou for your review. We hope to see you again!
Lurgan, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

Hi there,
This is only a one star hotel, so you only get what you pay for. So I'm not going to complain. The rooms are very basic, and the biggest problem is the heat and a lack of air con. Apart from that it was fine.
Breakfasts are really good. Christina the cook (from Derry) is a character and a very nice person and great cook.
The rooms are very clean. The bar area is lovely, and I must add that the staff are without exception very nice people..
The hotel is in a decent location, and the beach is not very far away. The best kebab shop in the world is just around the corner, as is the Mercadonna supermarket.
If you are on a budget, I would definitely recommend this place.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thankyou Russell, we are cheap and cheerful and always here to help. Hope to see you again!
Coleraine, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

Where do I begin... Worst holiday ever!! When we got to the 'hotel' we were taken to a completely different building that actually has no door on the entrance???.. we were then taken to our 1st floor room which had a cardboard door, the room itself was the size of a dog kennel.. no joke.. it had crayon drawings all over the wall, a ceiling fan that looked like it was about to drop from the ceiling at any time and be-head us, beds that had springs far too close to the surface for any human!!!! In addition to this, bear with me, no sliding balcony door (basic features of a foreign holiday) just a piece of crap door. The bathroom was hilarious, toilet not affixed to floor, bath tub minuscule, shower trickled water, took forever to remove suds!! We thought it couldn't get much worse (God were we wrong)flying cockroaches in hallways, in fairness not the hotels fault, maybe a door on the building would've helped (we were placed in the gill, not gabarda itself which is not pointed out at booking and the pictures of gill aren't shown, unsurprisingly), we didn't realise this but it did not help!! Breakfast was swimming in grease beyond belief, what do we expect I know, but it literally gave us chronic diarrhoea!! The northern Irish chef was nuts, and being northern Irish ourselves the put on accent she was doing no justice at all to it or us!!! Ott would not be in it... we stopped eating there. 1 slice of toast with 1 sausage,egg and beans wouldn't fill a kid. It gets better, after priced flights out of there (seriously that is how bad it is) and them being 300 Euro we knew we had to stick it out. On our 4th night we went into magaluf to try have a good nite which we did, got back had a few drinks in the bar at hotel and met 2 other English girls who were lovely, drank with them for a while and my boyfriend got tired as he wasn't feeling too well so we walked him up to our room to go to bed, while he was undressing us 3 girls went to the balcony for a smoke, it was 2am, we were chatting and laughing and the security guard shouted up 'policia' so we were like sorry thinking we'd made too much noise (even though we had all said about how noisy the place was, roaring and shouting at all hours, our room was especially bad room 102 as attached to stairs with constant banging but we said nothing as people were on holiday at the end of the day-more is the pity with what was to come....) we proceeded back to the bar the 3 of us girls, we drank and chatted to the small hours.... a great night had so we thought. Was woke up the next morning by my boyfriend being told that he went down to get us breakfast to bring up to the room and was cross examined by the receptionist (not Adele, the much older fatter lady) he was told that we had all partied on the balcony if room 102 for hours, 6 of us apparently, going by the gluebag security guards report.... she refused him breakfast until he brought his 'group' down, when he showed genuine confusion as to what she was talking about she then continued to call him a smart alec with a queue of people behind him.... he came back and woke me to tell me and I was disgusted as it was not true, the other girls were miffed too. We had gone down to the bar after 5 mins of him shouting to us about noise so his version if events were somewhat untrue to say the least!!!! I then went down to put it right and this lady (who had been pleasant initially) was not being rational and so would not listen, we asked her to speak to the bar man who had seen us in the bar all night to prove the security guards report was wrong but she refused continuously accusing us... I would hold my hands up to it if I had of done it but the fact is it was untrue and I had witnesses and she was unwilling to listen. Utterly disgusted. Cried about what a waste of money it was for us as we had struggled to save it, and so disgusted at how we had been treated with no compassion or mutual understanding, there was no listening to our side. To some it all up..
The hotel was much further from the centre than described, it was a complete dump and not true to the pictures, palma nova has nothing in it, do NOT go here if u don't want to be miserable and are below 45 years old!!!!!!!!! Worst holiday ever. I am 29 and been on loads and this one was horrendous people!!!!!!!!! AVOID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
The hotel management regret that you have not enjoyed your holiday. If anyone is unhappy with a hotel, the normal procedure would be to make your feelings known to the reception staff as soon as possible so that the issues can be addressed for the benefit of all. This was not the case and we were unaware that you had any issues with the hotel until the morning that you were asked to explain your behaviour the previous night.
Many parts of the review are completely inaccurate. We hope that you understand that it is our obligation to ensure that ALL guests are as comfortable as possible and are entitled to a peaceful night's sleep. Whilst we understand clearly that Palmanova is a holiday resort and a level of noise is unavoidable and indeed expected, we are obliged to take matters seriously when we have a full and accurate report from the night security also substantiated by the many complaints from neighbouring rooms as was the case with this review.
For members of the public reading this review, we can only hope that you have also read the many other reviews that acknowledge the fact that here are at the Hotel Gabarda & Gil we pride ourselves on customer service and the enjoyment of ALL our guests' holidays (whatever their age) is our upmost priority.

Been to Hotel Gabarda? Share your experiences!