“NOT IMPRESSED” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Tropico Playa

Save Saved
You added Hotel Tropico Playa to your Saves list
Hotel Tropico Playa
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Calle Paseo del Mar 38, 07181 Palmanova, Calvia, Majorca, Spain   |
Ranked #16 of 38 hotels in Palmanova
scotland
“NOT IMPRESSED”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

Having just returned from this hotel on 27/08/2013 i must inform everyone of a TRUE REVIEW on this hotel as i went by previous reviews which i can assure you are not correct now for the correct review.

On arrival we were met by a very pleasent man on reception who was very pleasent and helpful, i had emailed the Hotel before we arrived with a seaview request and high floor and my request was granted, on entering our room and opened the balcony door it was just a view to die for looking straight out over the bay there is companies that would charge a lot of money for a view like that.

Now for the negatives on our balcony each room was seperated by a glass panel which on either side of us was all cracked and held togther with tape to stop the glass falling out, and our room was ok but very dated this hotel badly needs a refurb as it is no way a 3 star rating, regarding the food was average as it was the same things nearly all the time but with different names and the min you put you fork down no matter if your partner was still eating they were straight over and lifting your plate away very bad manners.

The hotel only does all inclusive so come 12pm they put all the lights out and close up you cant even buy a drink and sit on as you would be sitting in the dark, one good thing to come out of the hotel is PEDRO the pool bar man who is mad and full of fun without him i wouldn't like to no how things would be, To some up up this Hotel if your looking for a 3star hotel dont go here as in my opinion should be no more than a 2 star as it is only its location that earns it a 3 star.

Room Tip: If you go here ask for pool/sea view room 4th floor
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

469 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
  • Polish first
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

We arrived at tropico on the 23rd of July as a family of 9. Upon arrival we had to wait at reception until the receptionist had finished his long conversation with the person in front, when he had finished he was frantically looking round for rooms to put us in, we had this holiday booked 18-22 months in advance as it was for my mum and uncles 50th and my 2 year old nephews first holiday so you would of thought they would have the rooms already allocated to people. We all requested sea views, and to be all together in 4 rooms, this did not happen only one room had a sea view, which my parent took, then there were two room on the first floor next to each other so myself and my sister said we would have these two rooms with our partners. The receptionist would not allow this to happen he wanted my sister, her husband and child to have one of the rooms and my auntie and uncle to have the other room, we argued a little but in the end we took are card and went to our room where ever that was. We then understood why he did not want to put my 50 year old uncle and auntie in this room!! It was disgusting, a building completely away from the others round the back, no lifts, nobody helped you with your bags, service was awful! The room was damp the beds had stains, the door handles were hanging off, we just could not stay in this room! We went to reception, told him just because we are younger we should not be given the lower class rooms, he put us in this block of apartments because he thought we would not complain, we're only 23 but we were not on holiday to go clubbing in magaluff, we were on a family holiday, we paid just as much as everyone else, so to single us out just because we are younger and expect us not to have the guts to complain is a disgrace! They moved us to another room which was better but still in the same block! This room was on the top floor, there were a few cockroaches and the maintenance man had to come and fumigate the room! Ants on the balcony were also a nightmare, don't go out without shoes on. Could go on forever on how bad the rooms are but moving onto the pool, too small for amount of guests, beds too cramped! The waiter pedro is great!!!! Olaf well where do I start, he is rude, he told my partner to "stop eating like an ape" " drink like a normal person" he through ice in his face when at the pool bar. I went to the bar ordered my drinks a Spanish man then arrived at the bar Olaf then served him first and continued serving other people, I asked him if he wanted me to serve myself he told me " you can do your not paying me for it" I told him " I've already paid for it with the amount of money I had paid to be all inclusive, also paying your wages! I think he thought he could be like this as his mother was the manager. He is a makes the business look unprofessional. The food was not great, same thing different day.We ate out 50% of the time, which is not good on the bank balance as you do not expect these extras. The only plus side about this hotel is Geraldine, pedro (both of them) and the few lads behind the bar by the restaurant and the location. I would never ever return to this hotel, it should have a 1 star, do not book you will be disappointed!!!

Barry Vale of Glamorgan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

After arriving after a nine hour delay with two children under four you can understand that we were suitably exhausted. The receptionist was having a lengthy catch up with a customer in front of us whilst we waited patiently with two tired and fraught children for her to finish! When eventually admitted we were given a rather basic room which was jaded and had a slight odour of sewage to it. Food was uninspiring to say the least . All of us were during the week ill with upset stomachs and cramps which I put down to the slop that we were given. Staff in the restaurant were hardworking and pleasant and were nice to the children. One day we asked the receptionist to advise us re the availability of us booking the pirates adventure via the hotel. We were told that it was not on that week! When we visited the excursion booking shop three doors down they said that in fact the pirate show ran every night and that the information we had been given was indeed incorrect. I am glad that we attended this evening as it proved to be a good night. The gentleman who was on the reception was helpful and polite and would go out of his way to help. Amy the children's entertainer had a quiet but nice manner with the children , though she needs to come out of her shell as shy children were not encouraged to join in. The activities which she provided were enjoyable and creative. The Location of the hotel is great straight opposite the beach but this would not be a three star hotel in my opinion. We had an early morning flight but there was no food available for us to give the children any breakfast as the restaurant was locked, a piece of fruit in a fruit bowl would have helped to be honest. A thorough deep clean and spruce up would not go amiss.

Dublin, Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

Me and my sister spent in this hotel last week of August. Hotel has beach location but requires renovation. We arrived at 1:40pm.and we had to wait 20min.for our room(well, I understand the check-in is at 2pm.).We got a room in a part of the hotel and there is no lift. We had to carry our suitcases (about 15 steps, then again 5 steps and finally elevator). Totally not recommended for old people or people who cannot carry heavy things. There is a lift for handicaps but I am not sure how long you would have to wait for somebody to help you. Receptionist (a guy) does not know much. His favourite sentence was: I do not know, madam.I asked him about one street, price for bus ticket, etc. His main answer was: I do not know, madam. All Inclusive option was working and I have to admit that gin and tonic, was mostly: half gin and half tonic. Really strong drinks. Generally, all day long we could drink or eat something. Dinning room is really small. Therefore when they are full, waiter stresses you when you are eating to finish earlier.Only one waiter was first class. The only one who knew how to treat customers. I do not remember his name, but tall and like Korean&Chinese look. Selection of food is poor. Well, I am not a meat fun so I could find something nice every meal but my husband would have to eat outside as meat choice was not eatable. Everything was hard to chew and simply not tasty. However, I think that everything was fresh because nothing bad happened. No food poisoning at least.
Breakfast was the nicest because baguettes were fresh and there was a selection of cheeses, hams,etc. For me bacon was not looking tasty.But I am sure that British will find it nice.As they served full British breakfast.
Room: horrible. Furniture are old, there are hair on the floor in the bathroom, air-condition was not cleaned once they assembled it in 60's. There is no TV set in a room, no hair dryer. Room service is doing their best but how they are supposed to keep everything clean if they spend in the room 5min. Also they use bleach for everything so the smell after cleaning is horrible.
Generally, really poor hotel with basic service.I would not come back. Well, if you are on budget holiday and want to be in heart of Palma Nova and close to Magaluf then you can choose this hotel. But you need to be aware that it is 1 star hotel.
Regarding excursions, do not waste your time for caves del Drach. Tons of people,small babies (children under 3 years old should not be allowed to enter caves). At some stage there is dark and you are supposed to listen to the concert of classic music. But the only thing you hear, is scream of babies. Also people do not understand what means: do not use flash.Very irritating.
If you want to go and visit other places, I totally recommend visiting Soller and Port de Soller. Really beautiful places with typical Spanish architecture.
There is no parking which belongs to the hotel. But nearby is a big public parking, free of charge in case you have car rented.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
isle of man
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

My brother and i stayed here for a week we had the back building which is very tired and plenty of steps but we dont spend much time in the room so werent to bothered, the room was clean and the staff were great they work so hard !! food was great and service even better nothing was to much trouble met some lovely people who thought the same as we did about the hotel the location 20 m from the beach is fantastic could not be better, heard a few complaints but again this was more about the building at the rear all in all we had a fab week but would want to be in one of the front two blocks if we did return

London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

On arrival for our 5 night stay in Palma Nova we were given a dusty basic room in the old hotel building at the back, with a total of 56 steps to go up and down to get to the room from the reception. No help with our cases. A room with no sea view but a view of a brick wall, a tree and a satellite dish. Awful. We were told that we were the last to arrive, and this was the very last room as the hotel was full.
Then two days later the cleaner came in at 1pm to clean just as we were going off to lunch. On our return at 2.30pm we found our room door wide open, anyone could have gone in and helped themselves to our personal items - luckily nothing was stolen, but I felt very sick and upset so I went down (there was no phone in the room) and reported it immediately to Reception. Finally after insisting, the Receptionist phoned the cleaner who stated she was still in our room (?!) -not true. I insisted again for answers so finally the Receptionist said there would then an enquiry. The next day I returned to the Reception, to a different Receptionist who stated that she had heard about it, but as nothing was stolen? Very upset I said that this was now a complaint, and it was finally written down in the book. However, I am still waiting for answers!! No-one was worried about my health and no-one came to check on the room locks to see if they were broken. It was obvious that they just wanted me to go away. In fact the next day I wanted to book an excursion via the Reception but he started giving me the wrong times etc., and then told me rudely to come back later. So I went down the road and booked my excursion with the lovely bus company itself.
The one star I have given this hotel is for the bar, restaurant and kitchen staff who work extremely hard and always have a smile for the customer. Well done to them.
I did complete a suggestion form in the hotel on leaving yesterday BUT it will probably find its way into the rubbish bin. And I have never been in a hotel before that has a pot full of papers on the Reception desk, papers that ask for you to give them a good review on Tripadvisor so that they can be upgraded (!?) - the Hotel Tropico does...............!!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

Read some bad reviews of this place and don't agree with most of them.
The one thing I will agree with is hotel and rooms could do with being updated & redecorated. However room was clean and cleaned every day. Shower was good. I don't go on holiday to sit in my room so happy if its clean, functional and has a decent shower. I think Some people seem to expect 5* at 3* prices!

We arrived early and room was ready. Checked in by a very cheery guy on reception. Had emailed beforehand requesting towels for pool as we were travelling with hand luggage. These were waiting for us on arrival. Thank you Saskia!

Although there wasn't a huge choice of food, what was there was tasty and you could help yourself to decent enough wine, beer and soft drinks. Restaurant staff brilliant. Efficient very helpful and cheery.
We have been on loads of AI holidays and the bar normally closes for AI at 11 so was happy this one was open til 12. Very generous measures- Don't think there's much to complain about there!
I am very surprised they don't give AI bands on checking in though. I'm sure people not staying here could get wise to that!
Though not always my taste, The entertainment provided was also above the average I have seen in some hotels, Particularly for families with children.
The pool area is very small but The location is fantastic as it is right across from beach. You can still pop back for drinks and lunch.

I would recommend this hotel for great staff, clean rooms, fairly decent entertainment and fantastic location.

• Stayed August 2013

Been to Hotel Tropico Playa? Share your experiences!