“Tropico playa” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Tropico Playa

Save Saved
You added Hotel Tropico Playa to your Saves list
Hotel Tropico Playa
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Calle Paseo del Mar 38, 07181 Palmanova, Calvia, Majorca, Spain   |
Ranked #19 of 38 hotels in Palmanova
Barry Vale of Glamorgan
“Tropico playa”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

After arriving after a nine hour delay with two children under four you can understand that we were suitably exhausted. The receptionist was having a lengthy catch up with a customer in front of us whilst we waited patiently with two tired and fraught children for her to finish! When eventually admitted we were given a rather basic room which was jaded and had a slight odour of sewage to it. Food was uninspiring to say the least . All of us were during the week ill with upset stomachs and cramps which I put down to the slop that we were given. Staff in the restaurant were hardworking and pleasant and were nice to the children. One day we asked the receptionist to advise us re the availability of us booking the pirates adventure via the hotel. We were told that it was not on that week! When we visited the excursion booking shop three doors down they said that in fact the pirate show ran every night and that the information we had been given was indeed incorrect. I am glad that we attended this evening as it proved to be a good night. The gentleman who was on the reception was helpful and polite and would go out of his way to help. Amy the children's entertainer had a quiet but nice manner with the children , though she needs to come out of her shell as shy children were not encouraged to join in. The activities which she provided were enjoyable and creative. The Location of the hotel is great straight opposite the beach but this would not be a three star hotel in my opinion. We had an early morning flight but there was no food available for us to give the children any breakfast as the restaurant was locked, a piece of fruit in a fruit bowl would have helped to be honest. A thorough deep clean and spruce up would not go amiss.

524 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
  • Polish first
Dublin, Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

Me and my sister spent in this hotel last week of August. Hotel has beach location but requires renovation. We arrived at 1:40pm.and we had to wait 20min.for our room(well, I understand the check-in is at 2pm.).We got a room in a part of the hotel and there is no lift. We had to carry our suitcases (about 15 steps, then again 5 steps and finally elevator). Totally not recommended for old people or people who cannot carry heavy things. There is a lift for handicaps but I am not sure how long you would have to wait for somebody to help you. Receptionist (a guy) does not know much. His favourite sentence was: I do not know, madam.I asked him about one street, price for bus ticket, etc. His main answer was: I do not know, madam. All Inclusive option was working and I have to admit that gin and tonic, was mostly: half gin and half tonic. Really strong drinks. Generally, all day long we could drink or eat something. Dinning room is really small. Therefore when they are full, waiter stresses you when you are eating to finish earlier.Only one waiter was first class. The only one who knew how to treat customers. I do not remember his name, but tall and like Korean&Chinese look. Selection of food is poor. Well, I am not a meat fun so I could find something nice every meal but my husband would have to eat outside as meat choice was not eatable. Everything was hard to chew and simply not tasty. However, I think that everything was fresh because nothing bad happened. No food poisoning at least.
Breakfast was the nicest because baguettes were fresh and there was a selection of cheeses, hams,etc. For me bacon was not looking tasty.But I am sure that British will find it nice.As they served full British breakfast.
Room: horrible. Furniture are old, there are hair on the floor in the bathroom, air-condition was not cleaned once they assembled it in 60's. There is no TV set in a room, no hair dryer. Room service is doing their best but how they are supposed to keep everything clean if they spend in the room 5min. Also they use bleach for everything so the smell after cleaning is horrible.
Generally, really poor hotel with basic service.I would not come back. Well, if you are on budget holiday and want to be in heart of Palma Nova and close to Magaluf then you can choose this hotel. But you need to be aware that it is 1 star hotel.
Regarding excursions, do not waste your time for caves del Drach. Tons of people,small babies (children under 3 years old should not be allowed to enter caves). At some stage there is dark and you are supposed to listen to the concert of classic music. But the only thing you hear, is scream of babies. Also people do not understand what means: do not use flash.Very irritating.
If you want to go and visit other places, I totally recommend visiting Soller and Port de Soller. Really beautiful places with typical Spanish architecture.
There is no parking which belongs to the hotel. But nearby is a big public parking, free of charge in case you have car rented.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
isle of man
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

My brother and i stayed here for a week we had the back building which is very tired and plenty of steps but we dont spend much time in the room so werent to bothered, the room was clean and the staff were great they work so hard !! food was great and service even better nothing was to much trouble met some lovely people who thought the same as we did about the hotel the location 20 m from the beach is fantastic could not be better, heard a few complaints but again this was more about the building at the rear all in all we had a fab week but would want to be in one of the front two blocks if we did return

London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

On arrival for our 5 night stay in Palma Nova we were given a dusty basic room in the old hotel building at the back, with a total of 56 steps to go up and down to get to the room from the reception. No help with our cases. A room with no sea view but a view of a brick wall, a tree and a satellite dish. Awful. We were told that we were the last to arrive, and this was the very last room as the hotel was full.
Then two days later the cleaner came in at 1pm to clean just as we were going off to lunch. On our return at 2.30pm we found our room door wide open, anyone could have gone in and helped themselves to our personal items - luckily nothing was stolen, but I felt very sick and upset so I went down (there was no phone in the room) and reported it immediately to Reception. Finally after insisting, the Receptionist phoned the cleaner who stated she was still in our room (?!) -not true. I insisted again for answers so finally the Receptionist said there would then an enquiry. The next day I returned to the Reception, to a different Receptionist who stated that she had heard about it, but as nothing was stolen? Very upset I said that this was now a complaint, and it was finally written down in the book. However, I am still waiting for answers!! No-one was worried about my health and no-one came to check on the room locks to see if they were broken. It was obvious that they just wanted me to go away. In fact the next day I wanted to book an excursion via the Reception but he started giving me the wrong times etc., and then told me rudely to come back later. So I went down the road and booked my excursion with the lovely bus company itself.
The one star I have given this hotel is for the bar, restaurant and kitchen staff who work extremely hard and always have a smile for the customer. Well done to them.
I did complete a suggestion form in the hotel on leaving yesterday BUT it will probably find its way into the rubbish bin. And I have never been in a hotel before that has a pot full of papers on the Reception desk, papers that ask for you to give them a good review on Tripadvisor so that they can be upgraded (!?) - the Hotel Tropico does...............!!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

Read some bad reviews of this place and don't agree with most of them.
The one thing I will agree with is hotel and rooms could do with being updated & redecorated. However room was clean and cleaned every day. Shower was good. I don't go on holiday to sit in my room so happy if its clean, functional and has a decent shower. I think Some people seem to expect 5* at 3* prices!

We arrived early and room was ready. Checked in by a very cheery guy on reception. Had emailed beforehand requesting towels for pool as we were travelling with hand luggage. These were waiting for us on arrival. Thank you Saskia!

Although there wasn't a huge choice of food, what was there was tasty and you could help yourself to decent enough wine, beer and soft drinks. Restaurant staff brilliant. Efficient very helpful and cheery.
We have been on loads of AI holidays and the bar normally closes for AI at 11 so was happy this one was open til 12. Very generous measures- Don't think there's much to complain about there!
I am very surprised they don't give AI bands on checking in though. I'm sure people not staying here could get wise to that!
Though not always my taste, The entertainment provided was also above the average I have seen in some hotels, Particularly for families with children.
The pool area is very small but The location is fantastic as it is right across from beach. You can still pop back for drinks and lunch.

I would recommend this hotel for great staff, clean rooms, fairly decent entertainment and fantastic location.

• Stayed August 2013
newcastle on tyne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

just got back with my family my boys 8 and 10, best holiday ever.
on arriving at hotel we felt so comfortable and welcoming. The rooms are basic but your not in them for long anyway, the maids were in every 2 days .
the food was lovely i dont no why people complain there was so much choice and they give you the menu in the mornings so you are seeing wots to eat all day.
The pool bar is a nice size and first time ever we got sunbeds no problem ,there are plenty snacks all day to haave such as ice creams cookies crisps sandwiches tea and coffee machine and cakes. Ive never ate so much food so be prepared to put on a few pounds ha .
The staff work very long hours and are such a credit to the hotel ,they always find time to have a smile and laugh.,the manageress is always around so shes there if any problems.
The location is brill for beach just across a road which is safe for kids as they have a crossing ,we took our drinks onto beach just kept sending my hubby back and forward ha.
They have 2 computers which kept my boys busy when they wanted to chill and a kids club doing crafts and other stuff.
I WOULD DEF RECOMMEND THIS HOTEL
the views location staff friendliness food what more can i say just dont listen to other reviews you cant please everyone especially the whingers ha,try this hotel you,ll not be disappointed .

WEST MIDS
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013 via mobile

hotel very very basic.it does all it needs to do.dont go expecting large rooms with plasmas & fine dining.the rooms are very small & the food just edible.a lot of people ate out here.location is good.so all in all if u are on a budget you will get by.would me & my family go back.NEVER.

• Stayed August 2013

Been to Hotel Tropico Playa? Share your experiences!