“Great Holiday...” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Marina Torrenova

Save Saved
You added Hotel Marina Torrenova to your Saves list
Hotel Marina Torrenova
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Avda. Torrenova 51, 07181 Palmanova, Calvia, Majorca, Spain   |
Ranked #12 of 38 hotels in Palmanova
Sanquhar, United Kingdom
“Great Holiday...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

We stayed at the hotel for 10 days in July . The staff at the hotel are welcoming and friendly and cant do enough for you . Our pool view room was large and very clean, very good maid service. We tended to stay around the middle pool as kids fun pool for us with a 4 year old was to hidden from all the slides etc so unless you followed your child around constantly could not relax. Food was varied and of good quality and tried to cater for all. Evening entertainment was repeated quite alot not the best and usual problem of not enough seats and tables if you come back from a walk at night. Sun bed problems my husband had to be up and in a queue from 7:30am to get beds and umbrella and doors would not open to let you out for beds until 8:30am so not ideal. Apart from small issues was a great holiday.

Room Tip: Would only want a pool view.

1,100 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (353)
  • Polish first
Peterhead, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

we stayed in this hotel for 2 weeks returned 24th july. myself husband and 4 teenagers/children aged 18 16 14 and 10. check in was quick and easy. Got 2 rooms with only 2 rooms separating us. Sunbeds were plentiful but some families seemed to get upset if they were not in the same place everyday. The reps were very good with both adults and children games were good fun if you joined in but was the same people joining in everyday (us included) night time entertainment was ok the reps sketch show was one of the funniest i have seen. While we were there there was some tension as one of the reps was transferred (mischka) which was a shame as she was excellent at her job and my daughter was very upset but the other reps were very professional although u could tell they were very upset. Ivan was amazing so funny and also Marco was 2 of the bet reps i have come across. The food was very good always something at night for everyone not so much at lunchtime. The cleaners were not that good a quick make up of the beds change of towels that was about it our rooms were never even swept in the 2 weeks we were there though i must say this was our only complaint. There were a few stag and hen nights but they were not noisy as some have written and never bothered any one else. All in all a fb holiday and met some great people.

Room Tip: didnt bother with pool view as on other side as long as you stay 4th floor or above views were lovel...
Tywyn, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

We stayed here in June and although we all had a good time I came home feeling a bit let down. Good points were the pools, they were brilliant, a little one with slides, a shallow small pool for the kids to play in with lilos and the large pool where the games/entertainment happens during the daytime.
The main areas of the hotel were nice, the reception, bar etc and the food was good, we always found something to eat.
The location is good for Palma Nova.
Bad points well, there's a few! The entertainment could have been better, a couple of acts that came in were good but the hotel entertainment team weren't very good.
The bedroom was supposed to be for 2 adults and 2 children so there were 4 single beds which was fine but left absolutely no room to move in the room and all the beds had to pushed together.
Half-way through our week long stay they moved the entertainment to the outside stage but this meant having to go very early to get a table to sit at and the queue for the bar outside was huge as they wouldn't serve from the inside bar.
Although it is a family hotel they do accept bookings from groups/stags/hens etc which during the daytime is no problem however when they return to the hotel at 3.00, 4.00, 5.00 in the morning (they all seemed to be staying on our floor) there is no respect for families as they sing/shout/bang doors etc. We didn't have a full nights sleep while we were there.
And then there was the sickness bug - out of 8 of us, 5 came down with sickness and diarrhoea and we weren't the only family in the hotel to have this. Once reception knew about it they sent someone to disinfect the room (wipe the floor over with a dirty mop) but they just put it down to a virus in the hotel. Before we went here I had seen reviews about a sickness bug and hoped it would have gone before we got there, however even now, 6 weeks after there are still people saying they had sickness etc whilst staying there and I wonder how long they can ignore it for?? The hotel needs to find the cause of this.
My children went to the Thomas Cook kids club a few times and said it was ok. I thought the reps looked disinterested and wished they were somewhere else. One of the sessions they took them to the park and splash pool, which I had done myself all week, another time my 10 year old was told by the kids rep not to bother going to the 10.00am session as it was boring because all they do is colouring. I asked whether they got a t-shirt or anything from kids club and I was told they only get a t-shirt when they've been to one of the parties (which you have to pay extra for) and even then they didn't get given one and I had to pester the rep on our last day for the children to go home with one. We didn't see the Thomas Cook rep, our welcome meeting was 3 days after we arrived so there wasn't much point then.
As I said before the food was fine, always found something nice to eat however the actual restaurant did seem to be quite small and as it was downstairs it felt a bit claustrophobic, I should imagine that would be chaotic in the peak of the summer.
Oh and the sunbed queue!! I was there before 8.00am queuing up the reception area for the doors to be opened for everyone to run out to get the towels on the beds because if I didn't we didn't get sunbeds, especially around the middle shallow pool. In fact on our last day there was a queue of towels on the floor by the door where people had reserved their place in the sunbed queue!! Madness.
If you have booked to go here you will have a good time but personally I wouldn't go back which is a shame because we loved Palma Nova and the hotel has so much potential. I wouldn't recommend the hotel to family or friends. If you haven't booked I would look for a better hotel. We also feel let down by Thomas Cook.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
oxford
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

For the price and location myself and my 2 teenage sisters had a fabulous holiday! We didn't want to leave!

Hotel staff were friendly, we only had one issue on our last day which was they had run out of towels as some were still being washed - this was 6pm and they said it would be 3 hours before we could get towels!! We ended up having to use hand towels to dry ourselves! Also in the restaurant in the evening they had an apparent dress code for men which was long trousers and no swimwear - this was not upheld for all, especially some of the women we saw in there wearing bikinis and cover ups that did not leave much to the imagination. The restaurant manager seemed to let these women in with a smile but any men that came in wearing the hawaiian type shorts were asked to change!! This is not fair at all, very sexist!

I thought the charge for the safe was a bit OTT - we has to pay 27 euros for 9 nights, of which we got 3 back as a deposit!

Room had free aircon, which we were very grateful for the last 4 nights due to the extreme heat! Room always cleaned ok, and usually got new towels everyday except in the one incident above. Some maids were quite rude though and said I could not get into the lift with them so I had to wait for the next one to come along.

Pool area was nice, we went to the middle pool as it was quieter. The last few days of the holiday we went down to wait in the sunbed queue at about 730-8am, the doors were opened at 8.30am but we queued up from about 8.15am most days. We thought it was ridiculous but continued to participate otherwise we wouldbn't get 3 beds together. The first day we went down at about 9.10am and there were literally none left!

Food - we all loved it, there was a couple of nights where it wasn't fantastic but still found a huge plate full and there was always the basics too - although I am pleased to say I did not eat chips once in 9 days! Thursday night we had the nice gala evening with fresh prawns and salmon which was very nice. ice cream and dessert selection was also good. Breakfast was really good, and we ended up having eggs, bacon, sausages, beans quite a few times. Cereal was a bit stale though. Small cups for tea anoyed me so i often got 2 at a time! they need to invest in some proper big British mugs!

Location was brilliant, close enough to the strips but far enough away so we did not find it too noisy. We expected some level of sleep disturbance due to the area and resort but this was not too bad. Hill was fine, even after a night out!

We went to the beach once, as we did not want to pay 13.50 for sunbeds and parasol everyday - but it was a lovely day and worth it if you want some peace and a full day of sun, as by the pool can get quite shady at certain points in the day due to trees.

Animation team, apart from Ivan were appauling! They mimed (badly) and danced to a number of tracks and called this entertainment! The bingo was on nearly every night which we played a couple of times. The outside entertainment they bought in was good, especially Rud Stewart tribute act on the Tuesday night. The kids club looked like lots of fun. They definatly need a new/improved entertainment team for the evening as this was the worst I have seen and I have been on quite a number of holidays both in Europe and elsewhere. The team should know how to sing and the dancing was even rubbish, some of the acts were actaully quite offensive. They would not have even passed the first round of Britains Got Talent!

Shop across the road was good value, especially for water and crisps!

Receptionist was helpful with our questions about trips and excursions, we ended up going to crazy golf, did the dolphin boat trip, went to Palma for the day and went to the western water park.

Overall I would go back next year as it is a good standard hotel, good location and good food! For the money we paid we thought it was great!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
nottinghamshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

Check in was quick and I asked for a low floor due to having a buggy for a small child and got the 2nd floor :) the lifts came quickly and having three lifts one was mostly available.

DONT listen to the BAD FOOD REVIEWS we never experienced any bad food and all the food was lovely. Im a VERY picky eater so are my 2 children and we never went hungry. One night my daughter took ill in the restaurant and the staff could not be faulted TONY was amazing helping look after her.

Yes there is "sun bed wars" at 8am when they open the doors in the morning but you get that at every hotel - come on PEOPLE STOP COMPLAINING.

The Thomas Cook kidz club staff are fantastic - I have never put my children in a Kidz Club before and these ladies are amazing. Highly recommend.

If I had to have one niggle its that the spirits are watered down - but then again when they open the bar at 10am and people are drinking until midnight maybe that's not so bad - coz im sure someone would complain that the hotels full of drunks......

Brill Kidz club - brill staff - brill holiday

PEOPLE WILL ALWAYS COMPLAIN ABOUT SOMETHING - YOU CANT PLEASE EVERYONE!!!!!!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Tynemouth, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

if anyone is thinking of booking this hotel DONT is all i can say, this is my 3rd year staying at this hotel and must say very appalled this year as entertainment team is an absolute joke compared to the last 2 years. Hotel is meant to be a 4star hotel with 2star entertainment, entertainment manager is always leaving her team on there own whilst she goes for drinks, no adult or kids activities that are decent enough to play, not enough staff in restaurant as cant clear tables quick enough and cleaners when cleaning roomsnot upto standard. All i can advise is do not WASTE your money on this hotel as does not deserve the amount of money they ask for. You complain to management who do not want to know so why should guests pay alot of money for the horrendous service they receive from this hotel. Stay here for 2 weeks every year and will certainly not be reccomending or coming back here after this year. Certainly no longer a Family hotel either as letting too many young ones stay here. Its just all about a money making with this hotel. All i can say is please read reviews carefully as do not want anyone to experience the worst holiday that i have this year.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
danimallorca, Marketing Online at Hotel Marina Torrenova, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
We would like to thank the guest anoymous309 for their review during their stay at the Hotel Marina Torrenova in Palmanova.

We believe that all our guests are entitled to their opinion on 2.0 sites, and both the Management at the Marina Hotels Central Office and the Management Team of the Hotel Marina Torrenova read what is published on the Internet.

The professional entertainment company that is contracted to this hotel for Season 2013 provides us with fully trained entertainers, in accordance to the clientèle requirements that we have at the hotel. The entertainment team provide activities for all ages and nationalities, with special focus on kids activities (due to the large amount of children staying at the hotel). The evening entertainment includes kids mini disco, quizzes, in-house shows and at least 3 external professional shows per week. This is the same basis of entertainment that we had at this hotel in 2012.

We are sorry that you were not happy with this specific area of the hotel. We can assure you that the General Management of Marina Hotels bear all these comments in mind when it comes to laying out strategies for the future season. The Management Team of the Hotel Marina Torrenova have regular meetings with the Management of the Entertainment Company, and any comments, complaints and suggestions are discussed openly, in order to be able to supply entertainment activities for a broad range of clientèle with different expectations and requirements.

Regarding the cleanliness of the rooms and of tables in the restaurant, we are sorry to learn that you have not been satisfied with these services. We kindly ask that you contact our Head Office directly (you will find the contact details on our website), as especially in order to find out where we let you down with the room service, we need to know your room number(s). With this information, the Manager of the hotel can ask the Housekeeper and /or the cleaner(s) involved.

Regarding the clientèle of the hotel, we would like to say that we brand this hotel as being family-orientated (due to the facilities and services that it includes: kids entertainment, splash pool, outdoor & indoor play facilities, children's pool, etc), but it is not sold exclusively to families (nor is this advertised as such) and we have many types of guests who book this hotel: families with young children, families with teenagers, young and older couples, groups of friends and sometimes even corporate bookings.

The Management act upon rowdy guests and they issue written warnings. When the guests do not conform, we assure you that the Management act in the interest of all guests' wellbeing at the hotel and we terminate the accommodation of rowdy guests, and we inform their tour operator or travel agent.

We would like to thank you for taking the trouble to write to us and to write a review, and we trust that despite your concerns regarding the Hotel Marina Torrenova, that you enjoyed your stay in Mallorca.
Doncaster, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here with my 15month old, 4 year old, partner, and my mum and dad.

The first issue we had was that were all put in one room when we had booked two rooms. Secondly, it's the noisiest hotel I've ever been to, the room walls and doors were thin and the halls weren't carpeted so even the sound of footsteps clip clopping was ridiculously loud, then add to that the fact there was no soft close mechanism on the doors so they slammed really hard especially with the balcony doors open, also the cleaners started at 7am banging around and talking loudly. Then our next complaint is the lack of staff in the restaurant, with our young children meal times took a long time, and we could go in and struggle to find a table that was cleared, once we got a table we could spend an hour eating and there'd still be several dirty tables that still hadn't been cleaned since before we went in. Then when the limited staff did get around to clear the tables they simply removed the dirty dishes and dusted the crumbs off, as for high chairs they got a very brief wipe down. Which leads on to my biggest complaint of all, whilst there my daughters became ill, bad sickness bug, we reported it to the hotel but the manager insisted we were the only ones who had it, yet upon talking to other guests it was apparent that several other families were also ill and had also reported it and been told it was only them. My 16 month old had to spend 2 nights in hospital with a drip in her for 28 hours because she was so ill. Myself, partner and my mum also came down with the bug. When my daughter was on the mend we found out there was another 15 month old also very ill and had the doctor called out to give her treatment, and another little girl got rushed into hospital, but again speaking to the manager he insisted nobody else had been ill other than us. One thing I can say positively is the animation team were brilliant, however, two of them vanished in the middle of the night leaving a note to say they'd quit, which left them short staffed in that department for a couple of days, the two remaining entertainers coped well though and Ivan was the highlight of my eldest daughters holiday. The pools are brilliant and overall I'd say the hotel had potential if they had more staff and a manager who cared

• Stayed June 2013
Dear Guests

Thank you for your comments following your stay at the Hotel Marina Torrenova last month. The General Manager of Marina Hotels and the Management Team of the Hotel Marina Torrenova read what is published on review and social media sites, and we would like to thank you for taking the time to sit down and write about your stay.

In order to be able to thoroughly check the problem that you had with your booking (being allocated one room instead of two, as per your review) we would require you to contact us directly with your booking information. We can check the booking as it was sent to us via the tour operator or travel agent, but for this we need your booking information (arrival date, booking reference number and lead surname). You will find our contact details on our website.

We are sorry to hear that you were not happy with various areas of the hotel, and also regarding your daughter becoming ill during your stay. All our Marina Hotels contract an external sanitary advisor and we follow the Spanish APPCC plan (this is the equivalent of the HACCP plan). We are also subject to the sanitary and hygiene checks, enforced by the Spanish Government and Local (Balearic) Delegations.

Once again, if you would like to do so, please contact us directly regarding this.

Yours sincerely,

Daniella Burley

Been to Hotel Marina Torrenova? Share your experiences!