“Good job it wasn't our main holiday!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hi! Palmanova Palace Hotel

Save Saved
You added Hi! Palmanova Palace Hotel to your Saves list
Hi! Palmanova Palace Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   C/ Miguel de los Santos Oliver 15, 07181 Palmanova, Calvia, Majorca, Spain   |
Ranked #21 of 38 Hotels in Palmanova
Tadcaster, United Kingdom
“Good job it wasn't our main holiday!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

Extra hol for last of sun(boo hoo) and wedding anniversary Hotel very average but adequate(normally 4 or5 star all inc is our usual). Sign says 4 star but definitely 3 star (only just). Rooms small but are ok though bed had seen better days.
Food was VERY average.Any fish had batter or breadcrumbs on it or was "stewed" andtasteless.Ended up eating salad for a week.At least I came home healthy.
Claims on other reviews re. thefths are exaggerated.They came from people who were travelling under their own steam and had nonoe to complain to if anything was wrong.(We will always book through an agent not direct,you have nobody to look after you if you do have a problem.It's worth the extra cost!
Staff were efficient if rather surly.Check in quick and easy,enquieries dealt with quickly.
Unfortunately on the day we left they closed down for refurb.Whilst this didn't bother us everything closed down bit by bit for a week.drink dispensers weren't restocked ,pool bar closed
excursions not being booked etc.While alternatives were available surely on all inclusive the same facilities should be there in September if they were in June.Come on Thomas Cook it's part of your group.
Entertainment.AWFUL. Gas and Kay did their very best and more besides but it felt like they had to run to a very tight budget.
Would not go back.

Room Tip: All rooms overlook pool and can hear terrible KARAOKE on a night.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

We booked this as an extra holiday at the end of summer. Thomas Cook brochure shows 3 stars which is what we expected and what we got. The hotel does have 4 stars on their sign but certainly is not 4 star.

Firstly to deal with the issues of thefts as reported in other reviews.
We asked Craig,Thomas Cook Rep, about the comments and he said he and the hotel had only had 3 reported thefts over the 22weeks of the season. He felt that some reports may have been insurance claim motivated. He advised anything kept in the room safe would be fine. Hired a safe, no problems with anything going missing and did not hear of anyone else having an issue.

Check in was quick an efficient and reception dealt with any queries as required.

The hotel is old fashioned and in need of a refurb

Room was acceptable size, small bathroom but clean and adequate, if you do not want a long soak in a bath (3/4 size). Take your own hair dryer ! Linen changed regularly and adequate cleaning. Beds basic with thin mattresses. Air con was not very effective and a bit noisy.

The restaurant is too small for the number of guests. I did not enjoy queuing for a table at busy times. Snacks are only available in the restaurant and can not be taken out. Wine and soft drinks with meals are from dispensers. Pleasant staff but no table service except removing plates.

Food was adequate but limited and often over cooked. Sweets were mainly sponge,jelly,trifle or blancmange. There was always salad and fruit available. Breakfast was generally good.

The pool is adequate but small and cold. Good job it was not used often as the regular life guard was the most miserable, finicky ( kept re arranging the chairs round tables ) person who kept wandering around and when he was at the pool stationed himself at the shallow end. I never saw him make eye contact or engage with any guests.

Due to the, now mature, trees round the pool and sun deck areas there is an element of chasing the sun around during the day. Again the tree also help as there are very few sun shades. Still it was adequate during our stay which was happily a very warm sunny 2 weeks.

Entertainment was the main area where the hotel needs to do more. Gaz and Kay( a Yorkshire lass ) worked very hard and did their best but there were only 3 or 4 evenings where other acts had been booked ( none of them that good ) during the 2 weeks we were there. Do not really pay just to have quizzes, games with cards or Karaoke .
All entertainment was inside in a long thin lounge. There is a stage with a room behind outside but this does not appear to have been used for some time.
During the time we were there the guests were mainly older and I felt sorry for the few young groups who were conspicuous by there absence most of the time. Thomas Cook and the hotel need to be clear who they are catering for when taking bookings.

The soft drinks were ok but the spirits were awful,especially the Vodka ! although all inclusive we went out many nights and had an enjoyable couple of meals out too.

Whilst the hotel was closing for the season on the day we left I do not think it was fair that they appeared to close bits and pieces down during the last week e.g. Drinks dispensers in the restaurant closed one by one. The pool bar closed ( indoor bar was open instead ).pool table removed, they stopped taking booking for excursions,etc.

All in all pretty average with room for improvement . Would not have wanted this as a main holiday hotel but was ok as a base for an enjoyable two weeks at the end of the season.

Make sure you pay a visit to Golf Fantasia 54 hole mini golf which is just around the corner. Buy your ticket at the hotel as cheaper then on the door.

Room Tip: Try a higher floor as the views from lower floors limited to overlooking the pool
Morecambe, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

We enjoyed a 10 day break at the Palma Nova Palace Hotel just a couple of weeks ago. The hotel was generally good. The rooms were comfortable (although I would recommend a choice of firm pillows and renew some of the beds) and the staff were friendly, however would like to recommend some improvements. There was no lock on the door to the luggage storage area, so if your departure time is a few hours after having to vacate your room it means your luggage is at risk. A lock on the door would be a big improvement. We were booked all inclusive and therefore had most of our meals in the restuarant at the Hotel, but did not like having to join an extensive queue to gain access to the restaurant which was the case most of the time. It would make more sense to have two sittings for meals to avoid this. The walls in the rooms were paper thin and every noise could be heard (we were in room 331). The areas around the pool are limited if you want to make the most of the sunshine. The entertainment in the evening left a lot to be desired. Although the hotel was for adults only, you would think the entertainment which was provided by the resident reps was for a group of children. No disresepect to the reps. The hotel management should consider paying for professional acts. To finish on a high note, the staff were friendly, the food was very good, varied and hot and the location was ideal set in the lovely resort of Palma Nova. Overall we enjoyed a relaxing break.

Room Tip: Choose a floor at the top
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

just back from 5night break rooms a bit dated food was good at first but wasnt as good last 3 days dont no if this they where shutting in a few days people staying where of older age but very friendly and many had been coming back for years but there many gripes about things be cut back and many where not coming back especially on the entertainment apart from the great female singer kerry on sat night that was about it

Romsey, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

We have just returned from 5 nights at the Palma nova Palace, where we had a lovely break. I was a bit nervous after booking the Hotel as I read the reviews, apparently a lot of bad about the food, thefts and general bad points about this hotel. I can honestly say we didn't experience anything bad, there was plenty of food choices and was replenished with fresh as and when. The room and public area were spotlessly clean. The staff all helpful and polite. We didn't hear anything about any thefts although we kept anything of value on our person as reading reviews do make you cautious. I cannot really fault anything about our break apart from the evening entertainment was not to our taste but the staff worked really hard to entertain everyone. I do believe there are always people will moan about the slightest thing but can honestly say we had a lovely time. Thanks to all the staff who helped make our break enjoyable.

Cheshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

I have just returned from the Palmanova Palace. I really don't know what guests expect from a four star Spanish hotel - generally Spanish ratings are higher than UK - so I expected three star facilities and I have to say that the Palmanova Palace was a good three star. The food was good - plenty of choice and I was able to eat well at all mealtimes. The staff are excellent - friendly and helpful. The hotel was spotlessly clean - I don't recall ever seeing so many cleaners in any hotel I've stayed in. The hotel is well placed - close to amenities but quiet and very handy for buses. We used local transport to get to Soller, Palma, Andratx and Portal Nous, all of which are well worth a visit. The entertainers work very hard but the entertainment is very samey and not of a good standard. The only thing I would say is that it's not suitable for young people; the age group is definitely older generation.

I heard nothing about any robberies while I was there although I was very concerned before travelling after reading other reviews. However, I am glad I stuck with the Palmanova Palace as I don't think I could have had a better holiday at the price I paid.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
b hill
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

My husband & I stayed at the Palma Nova Palace for a week from 7th -14th September.Overall we had a very enjoyable stay and had our request honoured to be on a high floor, we were on the 8th floor (833) in the main building and in this part of the hotel the lift does go up to the 8th floor.The view was amazing we could see the sea & mountains .We really enjoyed the food and found it to be of a good standard.This hotel is infact a 3 star rating now in the Airtours book but still shows 4 stars on the outside of thr hotel.It is a very good 3 star although it would be better if the' All Inclusive' snacks were served at the pool bar area.I found having to queue to get out onto the pool area of a morning as the doors were locked until 9am(although the sign said 10!!) really silly and have never come across it before.We quite like to have an early breakfast and be out by the pool at 8.30 am especially in the height of the season (July/August) when the sun gets very hot by mid-day, because of the people tended to go to breakfast later therefore causing the queue to form.
I had read some reviews just before we went about the robberies and therefore hired a safe as soon as we got there then on our 4th morning I was waiting for my husband when I overheard a lady discussing the fact that she had been robbed even though everything was in the safe ,therefore promptly emptied my safe and for the rest of the holiday carried our money & passports around with us ,we hide other items in a locked suitcase, this REALLY
spoilt our holiday as there wasn't much we could do about the robberies unlike bad food, eat out.I did speak to the Thomas cook rep , who told me the police were looking into the robberies & speaking to the staff I said it must be an inside job as the room & safe are not broken into but accessed using a master key, he didn't deny this & just said it was being looked into but this has been going on for over month now!!!This problem is really going to damage this hotel as I couldn't recommend to anyone purely because of this on going issue.

Room Tip: 8th floor for sea view and morning sun (833)
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hi! Palmanova Palace Hotel? Share your experiences!