“'It does exactly what it says on the tin' (PLEASE READ)” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hi! Mimosa Park Hotel

You added Hi! Mimosa Park Hotel to your Saves list
Hi! Mimosa Park Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Avenida Cas Sabones 28, 07181 Palmanova, Calvia, Majorca, Spain   |
Ranked #28 of 39 Hotels in Palmanova
St.helens , England
“'It does exactly what it says on the tin' (PLEASE READ)”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

Would give it 3.5 out of 5 (good) but wont let me do a half star :-)
Two things to note before my review;-
1,- It was an October 1/2 term break ( so services may vary in high season)
2,- THIS IS A 3 STAR HOTEL (not the Savoy)

Me and my wife have been to Palma Nova for 3 years in a row at October.
We love the place and have always been lucky with the weather. The Mimosa was not our 1st choice. We have stayed at the Hi Palma Nova previously but we found it was closing early Oct so we went for another 'Hi Hotel' in the Mimosa.
We weren't disappointed, and possibly preferred it in the end.
The hotel is ideally located, situated right in the centre of Palma Nova.
The easiest way to the shops/beach is the steps at the rear of the pool area (nr the stage) that lead down the (hill) street to 'Banana Joes' You can cut through from the front of the hotel by turning left at the front entrance . From there, a large clean beach is directly across the road and shops and bars both left and right.
Turn to the right at Banana Joes (either by the beach or road adjacent) and a nice 15 minute walk will lead you to Magaluf.
I cant recommend Palma Nova enough. It is spotlessly clean, has a really nice beach with a vast array of bars and shops and quite importantly for the elderly it is a pretty flat resort.
The Hotel itself is large with a very nice Reception area and helpful staff.
The bar and Victoria lounge is on this level and the restaurant is the level below ( ground level) with outdoor bar area next to the very spacious pool. (this outdoor bar area closed 3 days into our week which was disappointing and so had to go up 2 flights of stairs to the main bar to get drinks) They opened the restaurant bar in the end after many complaints.
The pool area is clean and spacious and there seemed to be plenty of sun loungers.(Oct remember)
The pool side bar (when open) is brill with the facilities to make your own 'Slushes' (red or blue) with a good choice on spirits, 2 beer taps. and barman around for other drinks.
Access to both bars is via turnstile and yes you'll read reviews criticising these wrist band bar code it has to read. You'll see people with arms flailing about gasping for a drink they haven't had for 10 minutes but they do work and the key to it is don't scan too close.( about 2ft away is best).
There is a kids club near the restaurant entrance ( didn't look inside so cant comment on facilities)
There is 'Entertainment' on throughout the day, starting as early as 10.30, then every 1/2 hour or so including 'killer darts/pool' Boule, crazy golf, sand skittles etc along with a quiz at 1 ish.
The reps work really hard and were superb. (Rusty, Shelly and Jake).
There were no 'outside' acts on at night in the lounge and so the 'entertainment' was done by the reps. They made a good effort but it lacked professionalism and spark. The shows were ok and well rehearsed and the nightly quiz good fun.
Food:- I would give it 8/10. There was lots of variety at breakfast. Cereals or full cooked if need be (not sure on the 'bacon', rectangular slices of pink fattiness).
Lunch and evening meals were spot on. A good selection of 'mains' with chips (always on offer) and salad if need be. Lunches were sometimes better than the evening meals with roast chicken etc...
Facilities to make your own toasties or hotdogs were on offer in between meals.
You wont go hungry.
Rooms ;- Ok, here's the worst part of the hotel, Dated, dated, dated.... clean ? yeah,...ish
If they updated the rooms ( the 1970's look is not a good one) and got a longer lead on the vacuum cleaner ( carpets at the far end of each corridor were messy) it would be much better.
The view we had from the balcony was fab, you could see right across the sea. We've stayed in 4/5 star hotels with views not as good.
Wi-Fi is chargeable at 14euros per week.
All in all a nice stay.
Did the use of plastic glasses at night in the lounge or the tired very dated rooms put me off? ...not really
Would I return? ... definitely....
finally, after reading lots of reviews on the hotel before I went and noting the negative reviews in particular, I came to the conclusion that 'Banging on doors in the middle of the night....'throwing chairs of the balcony' litter .... etc.. 'ITS NOT THE FAULT OF THE HOTEL' Its the people staying there.

Room Tip: 6th floor was good (corner) great view
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
HiHotels, Public Relations Manager at Hi! Mimosa Park Hotel, responded to this review, November 21, 2014
Hi Digger
Thank you for your review and the timie you took to give us your feed back and such a good review of all aspects of the hotel and resort.
Thanks for rating our hotel service and staff, we will continue working to improve our quality and standards to ensure that customers like you and family return to visit us.
The area is fantastic, would just like to say although it looks like the hotel has a kids club this has not been used for years, but the entertainers do have childrens activities.

Thanks for chosing another Hi Hotel for your holiday and glad to hear that you enjoyed it as much as you did
Hope to see you soon.
Regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (369)
  • Polish first
Twickenham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

First of all, I would say go with an open mind like we did. Yes if you pay cheap you get cheap, but It REALLY wasn't as bad as most people have written? Infact it wasn't bad at all.
First of all the positives...
The drinks were great, totally unlimited and a good choice, beer was nice, wine was okay and sangria was great. Also the spirits were good too. Yes, the drinks are self service, but big deal? The barcode scanners worked perfectly well when I was there and quite frankly if you can't follow basic instructions - written infront of you, on the turnstile itself then, well maybe you don't deserve a drink ;) Also as for someone writing about 'having to suffer the indignity of drinking out of plastic glasses' ... REALLY?! LOL, Everywhere there serves drink in plastic glasses, I wouldn't really call it indignity.
The food was excellent. I don't eat meat and there was still a very big choice for me.. My boyfriend eats everything and he said all the dishes with meat were great too. Breakfast was excellent, continental, cooked, fruit, hot drinks and juice, cereal.. Basically everything you could really want for breakfast.. Lunch we only made it to once in the week, but it was very nice with a big selection of food.. and Dinner, well dinner was something else.. On our first night we had an incredible Paella, and there was also a mexican night that was amazing. At dinner there was also soups, breads, a salad bar, lots of things to choose from. There was also chips with everything - if you don't want to broaden your horizens and try something different. The food was also good quality, I didn't eat anything that I didn't enjoy.
The location is great, its less than a 5 minute walk to the beach and main shops, or a 10 minute walk into magaluf.
The rooms were basic but nice, they were also cleaned to a high standard and our bedding was changed every day. We heard no noise from outside but we did have the pleasure of listening to an arguing couple one night - the walls are a bit thin, but apart from that I can't see what everyone is complaining about? The hotel itself was very well presented too, plenty of sunbeds, a nice large pool. The lifts worked perfectly whilst we were there.
And the not so positives...
Nothing was really explained to us when we checked in, although the staff were very friendly we had no idea where the resturant was or even where the bars were. We didnt even realise there was a snack bar until the last day - grrr.
The entertainment was so bad it was almost good, but not quite. We suffered one night of a 70s singing show and never made the mistake again. I've stayed in nicer hotels but I've stayed in ones far worse! I can't see how this place has some of the reviews it has! It's almost like we were staying in a different hotel...!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
So you came with an open mind and were pleasantly suprised, we do try our utmost to give everyone a great holiday experience and your not so positive comments have been noted for future reference, especiallly the point of more information re the hotel when you check in.
All in all thanks for the great review about our hotel, it is nice to get praised and goes along way with all staff, as they all work hard from behind the scenes to the people out front.
The entertainment is provided by another company sorry not to your taste.

Well thank you again for your review and hope to welcome you back in the near future.
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

Where do I begin, I have been to this hotel for three years running but never again. For a start, the bedding was never changed and we were there for two weeks. We were in a room over the top of the industrial launderette, which started shifting metal containers at 6.00am and finished about 9.00pm seven days a week. They were taking in washing from other hotels. The food was o k but got very repetitive towards the end of our stay as it was their last week before they closed for the season. The worst thing is the "self service" of the drinks. To get a drink from either the pool bar or the main lounge bar, you have to negotiate a turnstile which you do with the use of the bar-coded wristband. You wave your arm around like you are trying to swat a fly and hope that eventually it will connect with the laser on the turnstile, then let you in. Very often this turnstile did not work which meant a queue behind you, all huffing and puffing and dying for a drink. Also another indignity was having to drink out of plastic cups all day and night. I don't mind during the day and by the pool, but not at night in the entertainment's room. All in all I can honestly say NEVER AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Try and get a room at the front of the hotel. The receptionist will advise it is close to a road bu...
Aberdeen Scotland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

My Husband and I were there Three weeks ago, We had a lovely time at the Hotel. The Reception staff were so nice ,Also the Food was Lovely and rooms were cleaned daily. I would come back here again anyday

Room Tip: A lovely Hotel good view from all round
Coventry, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

WE arrived on the 8th October for 7 nights we have stayed at hi hotels be for
in palmanova for the last five years.I have to say if this is the way hi hotels are going to be i will not stay in hi hotels again. The bedding was never changed all week, getting a drink was a joke.to get a drink of coffee in the
bar after dinner it was in poley-cups.And the snacks in in pool area was in
the open under sum stairs out side. not three star at all

Room Tip: stay a way
Nottingham, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

Before reading my review please note that I stayed during October half term towards the end of the season (I returned three days ago), so what I say may not reflect what the hotel is like during the summer months. Also, I am a 15 year old teenager who is a vegetarian and I travelled with my parents.

I stayed on the 6th floor of the hotel (out of 9) and the room was basic but clean. I did not like how the third bed in the room folded out of the wall like a cupboard but it was actually more comfy than the two other single beds in the room.

As we did not originally book for this hotel (we had to change as the hotel we was suppose to be staying at had already closed for the winter) we asked for a nice sea view room but unfortunately there was none left when we arrived. Luckily we arrived before 11:30pm when the bar closes so we could get a drink and a toasty when we had finished unpacking in our room.

The food at Mimosa Park is really good for a three star rated hotel. At breakfast there was a choice of cakes, biscuits, hams, cheeses, eggs, bacon, tomatoes, sausages, toaster with bread, croissants, tea, coffee, a variety of juices and a selection of fruit. During both dinner and evening meal there was always salad, cheeses, ham, two types of meat, one type of fish, potatoes, vegetables, pasta, pizza, a large selection of fruit, jelly, mousses and cakes. On two nights during my stay there was theme nights (Mexican and Spanish) where they had food relating to the selected countries culture.

The entertainment team consisted of Jake, Rusty and Shelley. During the day time they would always have activities on (putting golf, killer pool, darts etc.) and at 12:30 they would have a poolside quiz. At night they would do a few quizzes before doing a cabaret show or karaoke. I really enjoyed the entertainment during my stay and even though they did not have professional acts to do the shows at night, they did really well with what resources they had at the hotel.

In the outside area of the hotel there is: sunbeds, a pool (about 9ft deep in the deep end), a stage area (for the entertainment team and the sun care advisors table), a life guard on duty until 6pm, an outside bar area, two pool tables and a table tennis table (5 euro refundable deposit from reception).

The problem that I found with the bar areas is that because I am under the age of 18, I did not have a bar code on my all inclusive wristband, so I couldn't scan it to enter the bar area to get a drink. Therefore, if my parents were not present and there was no staff on the bar then I wasn't able to get a drink unless I climbed under the barrier.

Even though on some of the websites about Mimosa Park it states that there is free Wi-Fi, but unfortunately it is not free. It costs 5 euros for one day or 11 euros for three days or 18 euros for a week. The Wi-Fi router covers all the hotel including the rooms except for the restaurant area. There is also a computer room and a game room next to reception.

In conclusion, I really enjoyed my stay at Mimosa Park and I would like to return again next year.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

On arrival the reception/lobby is very dark and dimly lit. Rooms are very dated and need a complete overhaul. We were on the 6th floor and had excellent views. The food was very good with plenty of choice and plenty of it. The daytime all inclusive drinks and food bar however was slightly disappointing with it being self service with minimal choice, but this did not deter from our stay. However at the time of our stay the hotel were full of older retired people, but still pleasant. The downside however was the entertainment, we felt there was a bit of attitude problem with the 3 entertainers, we soon realised that they had their favourite guests that always won the goody bag or the bottle of wine every evening, bit of a luck considering there were over 200 guests? Lastly an entertainer called JAKE, we found him ignorant and rude. For some peculiar reason he had a vendetta against Scottish, Welsh and northern people. The list of his under the belt innuendos are too long to list, shame that one person can spoil such a lovely week that we had at this hotel.

• Stayed October 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Palmanova
Ola Club Panama
Globales Palmanova
Globales Palmanova
#20 of 39 in Palmanova
3.5 of 5 stars 903 reviews

Been to Hi! Mimosa Park Hotel? Share your experiences!