“Lovely Short Break” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #20 of 38 hotels in Palmanova
Plymouth
“Lovely Short Break”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

Just returned from a fantastic short break to the Comodoro Player. After reading reviews prior to going I decided to e-mail the hotel directly to request a high floor as I had heard that the view from these floors were amazing. Within hours I had a reply from the hotel saying they would do all they could to secure this.
On arrival at the hotel, the receptionist informed me that as requested she had put me on the 7th floor. We were not disappointed, the view was absolutely breath taking, looking right out into the bay and down the beach of Palma Nova.
The hotel itself was extremely well kept. EVERY ONE of the staff we encountered there was extremely polite and helpful. We stayed all-inclusive and not once did I have to que for drinks at the bar. You were also able to take drinks up to your room and to beside the pool, the staff would just put your drink into a plastic/paper pepsi cup for this. The cola at the hotel is Pepsi just in case your interested!!!
The pool itself was an ample size but not too big, it rarely got too busy. It does get very deep very quickly but was always spotlessly clean. There is also a gate at the back of the pool which gives you direct access to the beach. The sun loungers are free and there was always one available. I have read reviews about the pool being in shadow. Although there are two large trees outside the complex that cast a shadow over the pool, there was sun on at least a quarter of the pool all day.
The room itself was of a decent size and had a balcony with table and chairs on. The bathroom was nice with a decent size bath and powerful shower. The hot water is absolutely boiling! The room also has a safe which costs 3 euros a day and a fridge. the flat screen tv is good but the only English channel is BBC World News but at the end of the day you are on holiday so there is no need to watch tv I suppose!!!
Onto the food, which reading the reviews, I was expecting to be the down point of the hotel. HOWEVER, I found this to be completely not the case. There was a large choice for breaksfast, including all the English favourites, ie. eggs, bacon, sausages so on and so forth. There was also a large selection of fruits available. The food at lunch and dinner time was a little more limited in variety but always of an excellent standard and also always something that me and my girlfriend liked and she is a fussy eater. Desert was outstanding! You could sit in the large restaurant or outside on the terrace which is yards from the beach and sea. The waiters would come to you and politely ask you if you would like a drink, if you are a wine drinker they would just bring you the whole bottle.
The location of this hotel is just second to none. It is right at either end of Palma Nova, which offers you fantastic walks, restaurants and shopping and Magaluf which offers you some of the best nightlife in Europe. I had read of people being angry at the noise at night time. I would like to point out that we had no problem at all and had brilliant un-broken sleep throughout our stay.
I would mainly recommend this hotel to couples as there is not a great deal to do for children in the hotel itself, there is a pool table, table tennis and a pinball/darts machine. The hotel, although full, always seemed to have a quiet feel to it which suited us down to the ground as we were looking for a quiet break with the option of decent nightlife if we fancied a night out. I had travelled to Magaluf many times when I was 19-25 and knew exactly what to expect from that...superb!
The night before we were due to check out the receptionist asked me what time we were leaving. I said we needed to leave for 7am. I was amazed when she then said she would arrange for the restaurant to be opened an hour early so we did not have to miss breakfast. This was an amazing touch to what all in all was a fantastic holiday. A big thank you to all the fantastic staff at The Comodoro Playa.
One final note, a taxi from the airport to the hotel is around 35-40 euros

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

175 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013 via mobile

Reception staff were very welcoming and helpful. Rooms were very clean but cleaners would just walk in and a few times gurned about the mess (as a group of 21 year old girls we weren't going to be spotless), also refused to clean up one of the girls sickness from the beady! (Understandable to an extent). Resteraunt manager was very rude, spoke down to us and told us we should dress more appropriately (shorts and tops were not appropriate) luckily the food was so poor we didn't go back! (We were all inclusive too) Definitely would not recommend all inclusive or even half board as a total waste of money and there are far better places in the resort to eat! Also we got told we were only allowed one drink at a time by the barman as we were 'wasting too many drinks' - we were paying for all inclusive so we should have been able to order what we wanted (especially since the food was so bad) Lovely views of the beach and quiet enough so can't complain there. Would consider going back if it was cheap enough but not inclusive. Recommended for room only but maybe not if your going to be quite a rowdy bunch! Lol

• Stayed March 2013
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

We have spent our first vacation in Majorca in Hotel Comodoro.

Location practically on the beach and a great view from the 7th floor made us immediately like the hotel. Though the beach does get quite crowded with a lot of families with small children.

We discovered that within 10 minutes walk there is the Magaluf beach, which stays much emptier and calmer till afternoon as mostly young guests of Magaluf night life, sleep until late and venture to the beach after lunch.

Location is good if you want to spend some nights in Magaluf bars and clubs and then retire to your quiet hotel room just 10 minutes walk away from all the hype.

Hotel food from breakfast to lunch and dinner is served in canteen style, self service. I agree with some previous reviews that the quality of food does not really meet 4 stars, so I would recommend to take only breakfast and to find lunch and dinner to your liking outside.

All together I think this hotel has a good value and a good location.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor room.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013 via mobile

This is not a four star hotel. Two at best.

The food was horrendous throughout our stay. You are much better off eating out. If you do half board it also does not include drinks( not even water).

The hotel does not provide beach towels and you are required to bring one.

No free wifi which is not normal for a four star hotel.

Safe was 3 euros a day which was expensive ( 15 euro deposit).

The room itself was in very bad shape and the walls had cracks and holes. Bed was uncomfortable and it gets loud at night.

Staff was ok.

Overall would not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2013
Zurich, Switzerland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

Nice hotel, big room, great sea view, but too close to teenagers from magaluf and the beach is the worst of 3 in palmanova, in my view. Also beware to keep your cosmetics hidden or locked in safe from maids, because I returned to jars and bottles which clearly were generously used in my absence... Not all... Only the one which were expensive... My fav tonic from simple was intact, thanks god :) very disgusting feeling anyway... Also I would not take any meals, cafes nearby offer better price-quality-variety.

Room Tip: The higher the floor, the better the sea view
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Bratislava, Slovakia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

We get a room at 7th floor, the view is fabulous and one of the best on that hotel. Hotel is right at the beach, that was very good. Food is average, soups are not very good exception two - onion and fish soups. Breakfast are all the same - english breakfasts - eggs, omelets, baked beans, beacon etc.. and cereals, jams etc. and fruits. Fruits was very good quality and variety. Diners and launch were ok, always some fishes, meats, vegetable, sweets, ice cream. Pasta was not very good, other was OK. Botle of wine, water, beer, cola, good selection. Snack was normal, sandwiches was the bests. The dinner room was almost empty, not many people was there, so place was always, but sometimes was problem that waiter works in a bar and also in dinning room, so you have to wait a bit.
Bar was ok, good selection of drinks, and a few people was there. The best barmans was Sergio and Pierre - thanks. Mixed drinks was always different, it depends on barman, so it was strange. Best cocktails makes Pierre.
Pool was average, water is clean and lots of deckchairs, always some free.
Beach was big, but water not the best and cleanest.
Clientele of this hotel was mainly mid-aged and old people, all was very polite.
Hotel has own parking, so if you have a car, you can park here. Position of the hotel is at the border of Magaluf and Palma Nova, so you have it near to everywhere, but that was a bit bad, because party people everyday stoped right in front of hotel and make a big noise, so the sleep quality was not very good if you have open the balcony and we have room on 7th floor!
Room was normal but very stinky smell from bathroom. They tried to do something with it, but after a while smells was back. Cleaning was good, but we have never cleaned balcony and we was there for 11 days. Also mirros and windows wasnt cleaned. And cleanness of the hotel was the worst. Dinning room was full of dust on shelfs. But floors was clean. Problems was as I write shelfs and places with worst acces, but it was seen.
For conclusion it is wery good hotel, but definitely not 4 stars.

Room Tip: 7th floor is with fabulous view on whole bay.
Salisbury, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

This is a mixed review and will no doubt annoy the regulars but we will not be returning. We booked this hotel for the location to the beach and the all inclusive aspect and due to the late booking it was not our first choice. The location was ideal but the meals were very very poor and by far the worst we have experienced in any class of hotel.
There is a mixed European clientele and the age group was mainly 40+. There were some children but only a handful and one group of men who were there for the closeness of Magalluf but were well behaved.
Back to food, the menu after day 2 was predictable. Breakfast was typically Spanish ingredients which I expect but the bread was rock solid. The coffee machine was in need of some ingredients to make it taste like coffee, which was better quality from the machine behind the main bar. The mid morning snacks were breakfast for those that had missed it and comprised of the things that those who had made it for breakfast had left behind. Lunch was basic and would just about get two of the four stars the hotel possesses. Afternoon snacks were a repeat performance of the morning snacks as the leftovers from lunch remained. Evening meal again was very poor, many of the special types of meat and fish were cooked to the dryness of the breakfast bread and any sauce/gravy that was present was flavourless.
There is a dress code for evening meal but people who did not adhere were not challenged. All other meals were come as you please so they did.
The staff was fantastic and would do any hotel proud; they were helpful throughout from reception to the cleaners.
The entertainment was ghastly when it appeared (3 out of 7 nights) not helped by the lack of any audience. The hotel was full, 90+ rooms and I never saw more than 20 in the bar.
The Bar was well stocked and well run; the choice of All Inclusive drinks is good. Drinks were also dispensed into Pepsi cups for use at the pool and for taking back to the rooms which I thought was good.
The pool area I did not use as I prefer the beach. It comprises of a medium size pool surrounded by loungers of which there always seemed to be some or most free. There was a shower but I did not notice an external toilet which would mean having to walk through the reception to use one.
The rooms were a good size with a firm bed and were equipped with fridge, air-con and TV. The bathroom had a decent shower and the necessary porcelain devices and a hairdryer. We did mention that the drains stank in the bathroom and were told that it was the wind, we were offered another room immediately but we have come across this before and just needed something pouring down them. The problem had gone by our afternoon return. All rooms appeared to have good sea view.

The hotel overall was aged and in need of some major work and refurbishment, the hotel is open 10 months of the year and the staff do not seem confident that any work will be done soon. All areas seem accessible for wheelchair users but some ramps appear steep and I did not notice the access in the ground floor toilet.There are two lifts which were never out of order and never a long wait but are fairly tight for anything larger than the standard wheelchair.

The hotel has very good potential but I fear Seramar has not got the urge to plough any money into it. I did also notice that although we booked the holiday not as a package, the big tour operators are leaving this one well alone.

Room Tip: Any high floor for the best view
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Comodoro? Share your experiences!