“Nice hotel, just a few minor niggles.” 4 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Pizones S/N, 07181 Palmanova, Calvia, Majorca, Spain   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #17 of 38 hotels in Palmanova
Carlisle
“Nice hotel, just a few minor niggles.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

This was our rather typical all inclusive summer holiday and this hotel certainly fits the bill. Its in a nice location at the heart of Palma Nova, 2 minutes walk from the beach and surrounded by shops, bars & restaurants.

Its a fairly busy hotel, we were surprised at just how busy for the first week of July however we did not find that fact too much of a burden. This is advertised as a family hotel however the clientele were a varied mix, mostly families with children of all ages then there were also a large number of groups of twenty something's and couples.

I'll cover a few key areas giving both pro's & con's.

Reception- Sloooow, checking in took a good while however the staff were courteous & helpful.

Accommodation, we had a family room and looking at the floor plan it was the largest they do. It was spacious with two separate sleeping areas but an extremely small balcony with barely enough room for two to sit out. The room was immaculately clean and the maid visited daily. Slight negatives were the lack of a do not disturb sign which meant the maid came regardless of need. Those days were you just fancy 'slumming it' would be disturbed by the maid who would enter without knocking. Also the brown bed covers were like sand paper, you simply couldn't sleep either on or below them. People have commented about thin walls however the only place I noticed this was in the bathroom, I could hear every word the neighbours said, in the sleeping area though it was nice & quiet. The general quality of the rooms was better than average for the class of hotel.

Lifts, slightly slow but certainly nowhere near the 20 minute wait that was mentioned in another review. Five minutes at the absolute maximum but 90% of the time they were quite reasonable.

Dining, The food was good, extremely well cooked but also extremely repetitive. I certainly couldn't of stood a fortnight of it. The quality could not be faulted for a three start all inclusive hotel and there was a reasonable variety but it did seem a bit 'chips with everything'. The dining rooms were quite busy at peak times but only once did we wait for a table. The paella was very good, one of the best I've had. I also liked the fact that there was a selection of fresh bread, baguettes & ciabatta's at every meal, these were often still warm & made lovely lunch time sandwiches. That said there seemed to be very little change from one day to the next (or from lunch to dinner for that matter) and a poor selection of kids meals.

Pools, there were three, possibly four if you count the kiddies area as two pools. The 'adult' pool was quite shallow for adults and quite small. The 'family' pool was busy, too shallow, 1.4m at the deepest although quite large. We didn't visit the kiddies area but it did seem to be a nice area for toddlers.

Sunbeds. The sign says no towels out before 8am. Ignore them if you want a decent bed. It seems all the sunny areas are gone by 7.30 with many seemingly putting towels out before daybreak. Many of the poolside areas, especially beside the family pool are in the shade at various parts of the day.

Bars, plentiful with a decent quality & selection of drinks. The drinks are served in a variety of acrylic tankards & tumblers, none of those horrible disposable cups so top marks there. The bars staff were friendly and the queues never long. It may be worth paying for the 'Gold' all inclusive upgrade which allows access to named brands of alcohol & better ice creams/lollies etc. This is quite expensive though as you must purchase the upgrade for everyone in your room and for every night of the stay which was around €9 per adult per night and half that for the kids.

Entertainment, the staff seemed extremely active and entertained people throughout the day, the evening shows seemed very popular however we went out most evenings so didn't watch any of them.

Other facilities, there's a laundry, a lot of PC's for those who can't go a day without facebook ;) Several pool tables and arcade games for the kids. TV's in the public areas showing live sport.

Kids clubs, they were two through the day for younger & older kids plus additional activity evenings for both groups. My two enjoyed the sleepover evening (which isn't actually a sleep over), T shirt painting & the outdoor evening with rock climbing & trampolining. A word of warning though, these cost €10.50 per child per activity with the promise of a gift for any child that collects three stamps in a 'passport' from three separate events. The gift is a dozen stickers in a small sticker, in a pamphlet, certainly not something worth going to an additional activity for.

Staff, all of them seemed exceptionally friendly & helpful, again full marks.

Summary? This is a nice hotel, it does everything you would expect of an all inclusive hotel to a good standard without excelling at anything inparticular. The cleanliness could not be faulted. Would I go again? Probably not however that isn't because there is anything wrong with it, simply that there are many more hotels out there offering similar if not better experiences.

I gave the hotel 4/5 as 3/5 seems a little unjust. 3.5/5 would be nearer the mark.

Room Tip: It does seem that the larger family rooms have very small balconies and overlook the back of the hot...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

1,610 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (389)
Belfast, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

I stayed in this hotel with my boyfriend from the 13th-23rd June, and we had a really good time! Before we left we had requested for a sea view room and to be placed in the Sol Mirlos side of the hotel as it was more adult orientated. When we arrived the reception staff told us that we got one of the best rooms in the hotel, and we did in fact get our sea-view room and in Sol Mirlos. The room was a great size, and the view was exceptional. When reading the other reviews on tripadvisor people state how the fact that there were only two lifts was a major problem as you had to wait a long time. Yes there were only two lifts and they were very small, but we never had problems on waiting for lifts and we were on the eighth floor! (even at busy times it was fine). The food was fantastic for breakfast, lunch and dinner, we literally couldn't fault a thing, and the kids flinstones food area was great and kept the kids in the hotel amused. The choice of all inclusive drinks was great as well, and it was very helpful that the hotel had bottled water with all inclusive, which were great as we were able to take them down to the beach. Now for the sunbeds...We didn't have a problem getting a sunbed and we would have gone down about 10am, but there are people who get up at 6am to put their towels on sunbeds!! That isn't really needed unless you want a specific spot. The hotel has a great location as it is close to all the restaurants, bars, and shops in Palma Nova, and only a short 5-10 minute walk in to Magaluf. So it was close to all the great local amenities. Overall, this hotel is brilliant, and the staff were all friendly. I would definitely go back, as it has to be one of the best hotels and holidays I've ever had!!

Room Tip: Try to get a sea view, and a room on a higher floor. Also ask for the Mirlos side if you are adults!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013 via mobile

This was our second visit to the Mirlos Tordos and after previously staying at the Mirlos we hoped we would be again as it looked more modern than the Tordos. However, when we arrived we were allocated a room in the Tordos but as it turned out it was no big deal the rooms were exactly same as the mirlos. The snacks are also served in the Tordos and I actually preffered the restaurant itself in the Tordos.

Rooms- Staying in the room was me, my partner, 7 year old and 1 year old. In the room was a double bed, a camp bed for my 7 year old and cot for the baby. IMO the room wasn't really big enough for to accomodate us and our 3 big cases but not a huge issue. We had the end room on the 8th floor of the Tordos so had a great view of the sea. The TV in the room was good with BBC 1&2 ITV 1&2 and the news channels and also CBeebies. I did find the bed like sleeping on a plank of wood. I can't say I could hear the people next door to me as others have said, however there were a couple of groups of girls and lads on out floor that were noisy and that did travel down the corridor but not enough noise to wake my kids up.

Pool- The kids pool is great and both of mine loved playing in there. The adult pool is also good, a bit crowded so don't expect to be doing legnths. There were a few groups of young girls and lads, most well behaved but the odd ones being idiots, ignoring life guards instructions not to drink in the pool. I did see sunbeds reserved as early as 6 which is just ridiculous but we didn't really have a problem finding one. We would go to the pool after breakfast about 10 and could get 3 beds. Beds are stacked around the sides and you just have to get your own and find a space to put it.

Food- The choice was great, my partner loved the steak and chicken that was cooked in front of you. There was always loads of salads and rice and potatoes. All inclusive is really good value as we must have made up the money in soft drinks, ice creams and lolly ices. You also get bottled water which was really handy.

Staff- In all the hotels I have been to this hotel has the hardest working entertainment team I have ever seen. They are there from 9- midnight every day. The childrens activities were great they had tea parties, sleep over parties with water slides, family fun night, mini discos and pool games during the day. All of the kids team remembered the kids names and all so friendly it was great.
I didn't notice any miserable staff while we were there, everyone was really friendly.

As mentioned some of the guests were a bit rough around the edges but from the people with families I can't say there were any problems. The only thing I found odd was why groups of young people would choose to stay at a flintstones family hotel and I don't think the hotel should accept their bookings. I overheard conversations about sexual activities in the entertainment area with kids about. There was also a group of young of young lads throwing wet tissue from there balcony and my partner had to go up to their room to tell them to stop.

That said I would definatley visit again as it was great for families, the location is great and the kids loved it. We will be back next year!

• Stayed June 2013
Bellshill, Scotland, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

had a great holiday at the mirlos after being moved from tordos building or tardis it should be called, like stepping back in time.. food was great entertainment team were first class working tirelessly day and night. rooms basic but clean, maids every day watch hair straighteners maid took ours..

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Cardiff, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

Just got back from this resort/hotel, stayed for 1 wk with our 4 yr old son, thankful it was only for 6a wk + not 2, the reason for this was lack of sleep. The walls are so thin u can hear everything, either side of us we had a group of lads that were coming in early hours of morning and having their own private party!! Dont understand how they can call this a family hotel + allow groups of men/women who r clearly using the hotel as a base for Magaluf?

Pool situation was just stupid, people were putting down towels well before 7am, our room was on the 8th floor overlooking the stage+ 1 morning I was up at 6a.m + already alot of beds had gone, this should not be allowed, you go on holiday 4 a rest , not 2 set an alarm, like u would 4 work, we went down approx 8am to the kids pool + could not get a sunbed, therefore went 2 the beach, which in the end we were glad of, because its much nicer.

Entertainment team were excellent + worked very hard, though our son was not interested because it was all a bit 2 overwhelming for him, so we either went into the resort or watched the shows from our balconly, which overlooked the stage, however, beware, if u need to get 2 sleep b4 midnight, its impossible if u r overlooking the stage as it was too loud, this was a problem for our son because every night he was exhausted , but was unable 2 sleep beacause of this+ when u eventually get some sleep u get woken by the partygoers comin in.

Overall would not recomend this hotel and feel its faulse advertising to call it family hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Leicester, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

i came to this hotel on 14th july 2013 till 28th july 2013 for 14 nights there was 3 adults in our party & this was the 1st time we came to this hotel. we was put on to this hotel by my sister & what a great hotel this was i sent them a message before we went to see if we could get a top floor room over looking the pool & that is what we got room 910 in sol tordos. it looked over the pool, sea & stage where we could see the shows from our room if we didn't want to go out. we use to love playing in the games in the day & all the reps were so great & could not do enough for u. the food was great & the only problem we had we felt there was not enough lifts for how many floor there was. the rooms were very clean & all the staff at the hotel could not do enough for u. i shall be coming again next year for sure great hotel & great staff.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013 via mobile

I booked a 5 day stay for myself, boyfriend and a 3 year old for the first week of July 2013. I only booked this hotel as some family members had already booked and we were part of that party. Having read the reviews I was not looking forward to what I would get when we arrived. On the basis of some of the comments I emailed the hotel directly and requested a low room in a quiet part of the hotel and both of these requests were met on arrival....

We used EasyJet to book the flights, hotel and transfers for the All Inclusive break. Firstly having arrived at the airport, we didnt arrive at the hotel until 2.5 hours after we landed due to the bus driver getting lost.

Having arrived at the hotel we were dropped off at the Sol Tordos and were checked in by a very lovely lady who explained everything we needed to know and were directed to room 120. We were thankful for this as we had read about the issues with the lifts so walking one flight of stairs didnt bother us at all. The room itself was sufficent and cleaned everyday. The only issue I did have was that the room had two single beds pushed together, not ideal for 2 adults and a child. However, it was clean and the ceiling fans came in very handy with the hot weather.

The hotel itself is very large and busy, however, we only used the hotel really for mealtimes and to sleep as the hotel is perfectly located close to an amazing beach.

The food was a little repetative but the food was always hot and a food selection of fresh cooked meat. We didnt have any issues with finding or having to wait for our table during our stay.

Overall the holiday was lovely but I did not spend much time at the hotel. From what I saw the pool areas were a little busy and queues at the bar but these went down very quickly.

My main comment with this hotel is they need to decide they whether they would rather be a family hotel or a hotel for hens/stags and groups of young people. During one mealtime we saw a group of people who were not eating but just playing drinking games. I think that if your going to advertise as a family hotel it needs to be just that.

• Stayed July 2013

Been to Sol Mirlos Tordos? Share your experiences!