“Lovely Holiday” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sol beach house Cala Blanca

Save Saved
You added Sol beach house Cala Blanca to your Saves list
Sol beach house Cala Blanca
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Calle Duc Estremera 16, 07181 Palmanova, Calvia, Majorca, Spain   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #7 of 38 hotels in Palmanova
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“Lovely Holiday”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

Just back from Sol Cala Blanca......great location,lovely hotel. Found all staff to be very friendly and helpful ! Great food and plenty of choice. Remember to treat staff as YOU would like to be treated ......... as they all do a great job and are a credit to the hotel. Manager and assistant Manager lovely ! and very welcoming. Please thank all staff on our behalf. Can't wait to visit you all again !
Linda and Jim Reid

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
JavierBonet, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Sol beach house Cala Blanca, responded to this review, October 13, 2013
Dear Linda R,
What a lovely review !! What can we said…. Just a BIG thank you. We also can’t wait to welcome you again here at your “second home”

489 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

We've been to the Cala Blanca 4 times now and have already booked for next year. The hotel is in the process of been brought up-to-date. Reception, Dinning Room and outside pool area have been done so far. I understand the rooms will be next. The rooms are large and the bathroom is big enough to hold a dance in. The furniture may be an issue for some as there are NO DRAWERS! The location of the hotel is great at the front it faces the street with various shops and up until this year no noise entered the rooms. However, this year a kebab shop opened outside the main hotel entrance, which appears to be on the main route out of Magaluf for lots of young people with very loud voices in the middle of the night. The opposite side of the hotel is straight on to the lovely beach which is just as well as there is limited space around the pool. At meal times there is a wide selection of food which is well prepared although after a fortnight it does start to get a bit same as same as.
We found all the staff cheerful and helpful and they kept the hotel clean and tidy.
Don't be put off by the negative points mentioned they are just to make people aware and as I've already said we've booked for next year already so it can't be that bad!

Room Tip: Pick a high floor to be further away from the noise of the kebab shop.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear daveJ201,
Thank you very much for your review. We look forward to welcome you again; maybe you will find more changes :-)
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

Stayed at the sol cala blanca for a week in May. Great location, friendly staff and lovely food. It's right on the beach so great for a chilled beach holiday. See my photos. Hopefully they will start to refurbish the rooms to be on a par with the lovely reception, dining room and bar area.
Overall great stay and in fact going back in 2 weeks to catch the last of the summer sun!

• Stayed May 2013
JavierBonet, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Sol beach house Cala Blanca, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
Dear Deb76
Is always a pleasure to read reviews like yours; we look forward to welcome you before the winter.
Lincoln, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

great hotel superb position, food excellent choice of food always fresh and restaurant kept very clean. Nice pool across the path is the beach. The rooms could be refreshed though bedding clean and room service very good rooms 3 star the rest of the hotel four star would stay again

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
JavierBonet, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Sol beach house Cala Blanca, responded to this review, September 12, 2013
Dear 266sharon,
Thank you very much for your brief and lovely review. We hope to see you in a short space of time.
belfast
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

Just returned from a week at the Sol Cala Blanca. The hotel is in an excellent location right on the beach. I found the staff to be very friendly and helpful. We had breakfast in the hotel each day and the choice of food was outstanding. My only complaint is the size of the single rooms, i was allocated room 332 and at almost 600 pounds for a week must be the most expensive room per square foot in europe. I complained about the room and said it was not 4 star (more like one star). I paid another 140 euro to get moved to a double so all in all it was a very expensive week. The double rooms are fine, you can pay extra and get a room with a sea view which is the quieter side of the hotel, the down side to this is there is no sun in the balcony from about mid day. The road side of the hotel is more noisey as you get the party goers returning from Magaluf at all hours, but you do get the sun in the bacony from early afternoon until sunset. I would stay here again but not in a single room.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear fred b,
Thank you very much for sharing with us your impression about our facilities and services. For the next time that you will visit us, we recommend you to book a twin room for single use, in order to have space for yourself. We will be looking forward to welcome you in the future.
Dublin, Ireland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

I stayed with my partner at the Sol Cala Blanca from the 10th to the 17th of August 2013.My partner is a farmer so he can only afford timewise to go on one holiday a year which I organise and always try to make special for us, after searching and much time invested in trying to get a good holiday, I found this hotel and thought it would be the ideal treat.......it wasn't! Firstly I don't think the travel agent realises what 4 star means, I have stayed in many four star hotels and this was at best a three star.
Let me begin,on arrival we were checked in at reception and were given a room key and told we were on the 3rd floor, nothing was mentioned to us regarding our rep, pool towels, the area or meal times. We later found all of this out ourselves through a process of elimination .If you want a pool towel here you will not be told about it on arrival but rather after seeing many other guests floating around with red towels you will later have to go and ask for them! These should be in your room on arrival!!Further there is no information pack about the hotel or surroundings in your room.......very odd for a supposed four star!!
Secondly quite possibly the rudest and laziest dining staff I have come across, on our first evening we were not familiar with the way things go as regards ordering drinks etc. I was approached by an abrupt rude waiter dark hair mid 40's(always cranky)who asked me what we wanted to drink as there was no wine menu on our table I asked to see one, he picked one from another table and rather than give me a minute to browse over it, he stood over me putting me under pressure to choose upon which I rushed into getting the wine without =being given a proper chance to have a good look.
When he returned with the wine I asked do I pay now or later? again he abruptly told me to pay now!!again waiting until I produced the money! I later learned that I did not have to pay straight away but rather we could have waited till the end of the meal to pay but I wasn't given this opportunity!
Every evening it was the same thing you have to wait until a waiter approaches you if you want any beverage of any kind with your meal, many times we waited and waited only to be ignored and eventually I just got up and found a waiter myself-what annoys me more is that there were plenty of waiter's around but they were all either bundled up at the front door chatting amongst themselves or walking around idle.....4*??!Also they make no effort to get to know your name or where you are from, it lacks the customer service in this regard that I have experienced in other four star hotels where there is a real personal touch.
Further the food was what Id describe as okay on the first night I was very disappointed as I picked up a couple of 'roast potatoes' from the buffet that literally would require a steak knife to cut through, they were like rocks!!Further a lot of the veg was processed and many things were swimming in grease! Other than that there were many salads, breads, chesses etc to choose from which were fine.
There is no atmosphere in this hotel it is like an old folks home my partner and I both early 30s were really let down by the lack of entertainment! All there was was elevator style music played by some old coot at dinner time, It was a complete let down we never stayed in the hotel after dinner because we would have had better craic in our local library!!Shame for the hotel.........had the entertainment been better ,I probably would have spent more money here! Quite an expensive bar as well my partner and I ordered two beers from the pool bar which were no more that 250ml served in a wine glass and 2euro 50 each very expensive!!
Very shabby old fashioned corridors, slime green colour and dated décor, a real contrast to the modern reception area!
The room cleaning was okay we never had the soaps or shampoos replenished and the room was always cleaned to just an average standard but like other guests have said the room was quite dusty and old fashioned. One thing that did annoy me was that my partner and I flew through the night to get here so on the second night we were very tired and slept in until 1 pm-not without disruption I had placed the 'do not disturb' sign on the door upon which the cleaner had the hoover bashed against the door at least three times waking us, it was so loud that my partner thought it was someone knocking to get in.
The hotel is full of French guests-never heard a word of English here so if you'fe hoping to strike up convo with fellow guests unless fluent in French,,,,,,think again!!
Now for a few good things, the location of this hotel is superb it is the only hotel on the beach of Palma Nova literally step outside and there's the beach! Never witnessed any sunbed hogging at all there was always plenty of loungers although with such a beach front location I cant understand why anyone would be bothered to stay at the pool when the beach is your doorstep!!
Further the door porter a young Spanish man late 20's early 30's was always pleasant and respectful opening the door for us on many occasions a true gent! Also there was one nice waiter at meal times he was mainly inside a young man late 20's Spanish with dark hair, you'll know him because he is the only one who smiles!
If you are looking for nice lunch food Castaways a little pub around the corner from the hotel opposite the bouncy castle is lovely, the pub looks shabby but it does a great lunch gorgeous home made pizza and baked potatoes.
If you are looking for four star you wont find it here this hotel is not value for money! save your cash and go elsewhere......that's what I will be doing!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Blondie0027,
First and foremost we would like to thank you for choosing our hotel to spend your holidays, and also after your holidays, to take the time and trouble to write and share with us your experience. We are very sorry to read that your holidays wasn’t as good as expected, and we want to inform you about some details; All the information referred to the hotel, facilities and services are on the TV screen in all rooms, also the flat screen at the reception is showing all day what is going out every day. The reason is that we are involved on a sustainability project for the environment and we try to use as les as possible printed paper (also we try to save water and energy with different actions)
On the other side, we have had a serious word with the head waiter, as you may understand, we want that every single guest is treated with the maximum of courtesy , politeness and kindness.
Please give us a chance to recover your confidence in our services; we sincerely hope to welcome you again at the Sol Cala Blanca.
Birmingham England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

Don't get me wrong we really enjoyed staying at the Holiday. It was seconds from the beach and all the local shops and bars and restaurants. The food served at the hotel was very nice and the staff on the whole were very friendly, and could not do enough for you.
Now for the little things
1. When we arrived from the airport at approx midday our room 311 was not ready. We were then told we had a 30 minute wait for it to be ready. Were we asked therefore if we wanted maybe a drink or something on the house to make up for the wait, not a chance. We therefore had to go out and get a coffee at our expense, when the room should have been ready in the first place. Great Start!!!
2. Although the reception was modern clean and a credit to the hotel, our bedroom was something from the 70's/80's and needed to be badly modernised or at least redecorated.
As I have seen from other reviews there was no furniture in the rooms with drawers, so anything small had to either stay in your bags or go into the safe, which by the way I am annoyed that we had to pay for, when on other previous trips to other 4 star hotels the safe was free.
3. The cleaning of the rooms left something to be desired in the fact that although we got clean towels and sheets daily, we found dust around the plug sockets and headboards. This was especially annoying every time my wife had to dry her hair by plugging her hair dryer into the plug socket for the Television, and then having to wash her hands after. Also the rooms drinking glasses were not replaced for the final 3 days
4. As stated previously the staff on most occasions were excellent, but the restaurant staff need to update their customer service skills, in the fact that a party of 2 should get the same service as a party of 10 on another table (or rather 3 tables put together). On one occasion we had 3 waiters tending a table of 10 people, and we were left for 15 minutes before any waiter came near us to ask if we needed any drinks with our evening meal.
5. Why does this hotel not follow its own rules in regard to alloying people to lay towels out on sun beds at stupid o'clock in the morning. If you going to make a rule and place this rule in your room guide book, then stick to it. Same goes for leaving your towels over the balcony. or at why don't you least advise that if someone leaves a towel on a sun bed for over one hour without lying on it, it gets taken off simples!!!. I appreciate we all want to lie in the best position under a hot sun, but with sun beds on the beach costing 13.50 euro's a day for us to use, then the hotel needs to be more strict on this reserving of beds by sticking a sweaty towel on it, before the days sun has even come up.
6. Finally I suppose to match our rooms the nightly entertainment was very 60's/70's. Considering I am 50, I like modern music, and considering the low attendance most nights so did the other guests who were all ages. Believe me I would have loved to have stayed at the hotel most evenings, but showing acts who could have sang modern songs, but persisted/or were instructed to sing old classics, which we all hated and then drove everyone away.
The only time the bar was full was when there was a rock band on, I rest my case.

Still on the whole I enjoyed staying at he hotel, believe it or not. But please understand what the customer needs. We save up all year, and yes I want to be entertained, I want a clean room ready when I arrive, and finally I want a sun bed by the pool, if I come out after breakfast.

Room Tip: rooms on the beach side a must
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear rickoshea69,
We are very happy to read that you had enjoyed your holidays with us. We are very sorry to be unable to give your room at your arrival, as you may understand, the check-out time is 12 noon, then our staff need some time to prepare the room for the new guests; in the meantime, our bar remains open from 9 a.m. until 12 a.m., there you can enjoy hot and cold drinks.
As you have seen, lobby, reception, terrace and dining room are already refurbished, and the next step, presumably, will be the refurbishment of the rooms.
Regarding the “little thinks” on the room and also referring the dining room, we had already spoke to the staff in charge of these areas, in order to avoid situations like yours.
We take all your comments as a constructive criticism and a way to improve our services. We sincerely hope that the “little thinks” will not deter you from visiting us again.

Been to Sol beach house Cala Blanca? Share your experiences!