“Good all rounder, will stay again” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sol Beach House Cala Blanca

Bookmark
You added Sol Beach House Cala Blanca to your Saves list
Sol Beach House Cala Blanca
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Calle Duque de Estremera 16 | Palmanova (Mallorca), 07181 Palmanova, Calvia, Majorca, Spain   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #5 of 38 Hotels in Palmanova
GreenLeadersSilver level
Derbyshire
“Good all rounder, will stay again”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

Just returned yesterday from a 5 day break. The hotel itself is clean, modern and best bit for me "Adults only"!

On arrival check in was painless and quick with very efficient reception staff. Room was on the 1st floor and with a sea view. I had booked a double room but unfortunately the other person didn't come so I had it to myself. The others travelling in our party had booked single rooms but were given doubles so a nice upgrade for them. The rooms were clean, spacious.

The location is well placed that if you want quiet you stay in Palma Nova if you want lively then walk out of the hotel turn left and approx 10 minutes you're in Magaluf!

We managed breakfast twice during our stay and it was nice enough with a plentiful choice of hot / cold meats etc etc. The bar prices were ok and what you'd expect a hotel to charge.

Twice during the holiday the reception staff were excellent. The first being when a mobile phone needed charging and the second being when the coach pick up time was wrong and needed changing and they dealt with it themselves which they didn't need to as it was an outside agency. So thank you for that.

No problem with maid service but make sure you use your "Do not disturb" sign .....or they will!

One of our party ventured into the outdoor pool after chasing off the Polar bears and penguins and if the indoor pool was more clearly signed we would have used this.

On checkout I was a bit unhappy as although I had booked initially a double room but on arrival told them I would be on my own I still got charged for a double room where as the rest of the party who had booked single rooms but were given doubles (ironically next door to mine) were only charged the single rate. When I questioned the receptionist I was told this was due to it being booked on the internet and not directly with them. I booked through the Melia hotels website so couldn't see why they couldn't charge the lower rate.

All in all though not bad and if I went to that area again I'd probably stay here.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
JavierBonet, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Sol Beach House Cala Blanca, responded to this review, May 26, 2013
Dear Paul1969,
Thank you very much to share your impressions about our hotel; we are very glad to read that you have enjoyed your holidays. We have already told the housekeeper and his team to be extremely carefully at the time to go into one room to avoid “embarrassing” situations. Regarding your comments about the reservation, we are very sorry, but at the hotel we are unable to change a reservation, even if it is made thru melia.com, in this case, is the guest themselves who have to contact melia.com and it is the only one who can made changes, otherwise, at the hotel we cannot change category or rates of a booking.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (208)
Scunthorpe, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

This hotel has an official 4* rating but on mine and my wifes experience of staying there, I cannot see from any aspect that it warrants such a rating.First thing I noticed missing in the room was drinks making facility and also a notice on the fridge telling you that it was only for hotel purchased goods.4*?
Thankfully, the comfort of the large twin beds went a long way to rescuing what could have been a major disappointment. At least you could get a comfortable(if not quiet) nights sleep.
After checking in and paying the "special offer" price of 23 Euros per day to upgrade to a sea view room, I asked where I could find the ironing room. Could not believe that such a basic facility did not exist. 4*? The receptionist then offered to arrange to hire an iron and a board for me and when it arrived, the board could only be mounted on a table due to its very short fold away legs.
When unpacking our clothes, we were left wondering where the drawer space had been hidden. Fact is, there wasn't any. 4*? The wardrobe space had 1 hanging rail (enough for my wifes dresses and skirts etc) and the other half was shelves, one of which housed the safe (21 euros for 7 days and 5euros a day for our other 2 days).
In the bathroom there was a reasonable supply of toiletries which were replenished regularly but the overall presentation of the bathroom was not very good (photos attached showing door, mould round the sink and a bath towel) 4*? There was not a non slip safety mat to use in the bath when showering but, there was a Bidet.starting to see now why the hotel has a 4* rating! At least there was something to soak my feet in at the end of the day! Talking of which, I asked at reception for 2 beach towels. these came at an upfront payment (refundable) of 10 euros EACH plus if you wanted an exchange for a clean one it was 1 euro each for laundering. 4*?
I had only booked B&B so I am unable to comment on the food apart from breakfast. At first glance the buffet style breakfast looked inviting with a good selction of fresh fruits, youghurts cereals, continental and cooked breakfast. I may have been unlucky but on my 2 attempts at the "hot" breakfast, everything on my plate was cold which wasn't helped by all of the plates being cold in the first place. The more seasoned guests at the hotel had sussed out that you could heat your breakfast in the microwave provided.Anyway I opted for the remainder of my stay to have fresh fruit, fruit juice and the cold continental selection. Would have made the dining room look so much more presentable had there been table cloths(Didn,t have them at night either as I purposely checked). There again, it is only a 4*? Would have been nice to find some basic gym/fitness facility but again, nothing.This was my first ever trip to Spain (nearly 66 years old) and I am soory to stay that on holidays to other countries, I have found better facilities in accommodation graded 3* and lower

Dear Cookieboy480
Thank you very much to share your opinion with us.
We regret to hear that our hotel did not reached your expectations, even that you think that our hotel did not reached what is supposed to find on a 4 star hotel.
I agree with you that some of the thinks you have found in our hotel are not expected and completely not desirable; we want to give you our sincerest apologies for the inconveniences caused and we want to inform you that we are sharing your comments with all the heads of departments in order to avoid situations like yours.
Maybe when you visit one hotel you could ask what kind of facilities have, as we are a holiday hotel, 4 stars, and we do not have the same facilities that 4 star hotel on a big city. We invite you to compare different 4 star hotels visiting www.melia.com.
We remain at your completely disposal, and we want to thank you again for your comments, they made us to be more severe with ourselves.
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

Just back from 3 nights at this lovely hotel. Staff all very friendly, rooms spotless, maids cheerful, breakfast buffet amazing! Fantastic location, right on the beach we have had a lovely stay. Only negative would be the people putting towels down on loungers at the crack of dawn and then not appearing to use them until late morning!!

Room Tip: Sea view rooms lovely but if you want afternoon sun then it would have to be a roadside room.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
JavierBonet, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Sol Beach House Cala Blanca, responded to this review, April 28, 2013
Dear 579Saz,
Thank you for the good impressions. We try to ask to our guests not to reserve the sunbeds in order to give the chance to all other guests to enjoy our relaxing pool area.
Glasgow
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

My wife and I spent 4 nights here to celebrate my birthday.
Hotel is right on the lovely beach at Palma Nova and a 15/20 stroll from the madness of Magaluf.
Food - breakfat has everything you could ask for.I mainly had (sounds like the Fast Show guy) the amazing ciabata bread with eggs,cheese and ham.
- dinner was a mixture of meats,soups,veg,pasta etc

Corridors are in need of some TLC although rooms are very well maintained.Our room 340 was overlooking the road in front of the hotel.We were not bothered by any noise at night as it is a pretty quiet area, at least in April.

Staff were very helpful and pleasant.

Dear Jomo 0602,
Thank you very much for your comments. We are very happy to know that you enjoyed your stay with us !
Barnsley, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

Just returned from a relaxing weeks holiday at the Sol Cala Blanca in Palmanova . The hotel is in a perfect location right on the beach.Rooms are quite spacious and a nice size bathroom with bath and shower hair dryer, toiletries etc,the rooms were cleaned and fresh towels were provided on a daily basis.My only critisium about the rooms is there is not enough drawer space.
We were on a half board basis the breakfasts were lovely with plenty of choice even for fussy eaters.Evening meal again there was plenty of choice and chef specials every evening,as well as the dining room there is a lovely outside terrace to eat breakfast and dinner.
All of the staff are very friendly,approachable and professional all in all we have had a lovely time at this hotel and I would recommend to fellow travellers.

Dear TinaW439,
Many thaks for your time to write your experience with us. We have carefully noted your criticism about the drawer space in the rooms, something that will be taken into consideration at the time to do future improvements.
Cambridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

We have travelled to Mallorca annually for many years to visit a relative and friends, we usually stay in another Sol Hotel in the area but this time we decided to stay in the Cala Blanca.
I have to say we were extemely impressed with the hotel, we arrived early at about 10.30 in the morning so didn't expect a room to be ready but were dealt with very efficiently by the reception staff and went straight to our room.
The room was very large and the beds were more comfortable than the hotel we previously stayed at, the rooms were kept spotlessly clean by the maids, maybe would benifit from more drawer space but not a big issue.
We thoroughly enjoyed the food, there was a good choice and we found it difficult to decide what to have. There was an assortment of typical English fare and Spanish Cuisine, the Paellas were great and they served up some Mallorcan specialities like Fritta Mallorcean.
The location of the hotel was great, central to all the bays with some good bars in the area.

This hotel will now be our hotel of choice when come back next year, a great relaxing place.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Lynne B,
Thank you for the good comments, we will keep the good work 
We have noted your comments about the drawer space, comments who we will take into consideration at the time to do future investments.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

Having been to Palma nova many times I've always wanted to stay at the sol cala blanca so we decided this year we would.on arrival it all looked good but as soon as we entered room I felt a big let down the renovations have not reached the rooms yet there is very little space for two people to hang their clothes no drawers for little things.if on arrival you are given room 125 decline it as its right at the lifts and at the top of the 1st floor wooden stairs (floors 1-4 stairs are carpeted) the noise is horrendous all you hear 1st thing in the morning is folk thumping down the stairs and at night they thump back up congregate and chatter before going to their rooms .we asked to be moved but were told only sea view rooms were available at 23euros a night we declined this.the food was as some folk are saying was cold on occasions but there was a good selection will be back in Palma nova but not to this hotel.

Room Tip: 1st floor noisy in April so with all pubs and shops open in summer season it would be advisable to a...
Dear Helen M,
Thank you very much for your time to share your appreciations about your stay with us.
Your comments about the space for little things are been carefully noted, and will be taken into consideration at the time to do future refurbishments. Also we have noted your comments regarding the noise on the stairs, we are thinking to re-install the carpet on the wooden stairs.

Been to Sol Beach House Cala Blanca? Share your experiences!