“Pretty good, but room for improvement” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Son Caliu Hotel Spa Oasis

You added Son Caliu Hotel Spa Oasis to your Saves list
Son Caliu Hotel Spa Oasis
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Avenida Son Caliu 8 | Son Caliu, 07181 Palmanova, Calvia, Majorca, Spain   |
Offers & Announcements
Complimentary bottle of wine
Ranked #8 of 39 Hotels in Palmanova
Aylesbury
“Pretty good, but room for improvement”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

We stayed here for four nights half board. The hotel is currently undergoing a refurbishment and we had one of the updated rooms. This is the second hotel we have stayed in recently which has undergone a 'boutique style' updating. The room certainly looks impressive, but suffered with a centrally located shower cubicle which leaked all over the floor because the door didn't fit properly, and a small, impractical washbasin. The bidet has been sacrificed for a separate WC with a glass door. Not everyone wishes to have so little privacy and I would personally prefer the traditional separate bathroom. However, the beds were very comfortable and the room was spotlessly clean.
The dining experience was rather strange. There was a good buffet selection, offering the usual salads, but also a selection of meat and fish dishes and vegetables. There was then a waiter service for a 'main course' with a fish, meat or vegetarian option. This seemed rather pointless as it partially duplicated the buffet. The course when it arrived was small and my partner had to get extra vegetables from the buffet. I feel that a full buffet would be better. The service was also slow at times. We were there for the weekly Gala Dinner, which again looked impressive on the menu but was disappointing. We waited 25 minutes for the first starter and I noticed that several diners gave up waiting either before or during the meal.
The hotel is in an excellent location and I am sure we will return, but there is some room for improvement.

Room Tip: Choose a room overlooking the garden for a view.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
SonCaliu, E-commerce at Son Caliu Hotel Spa Oasis, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Dear Hilary B,

First of all I want to thank you for spending a few minutes of your time to share such a detailed review about Son Caliu Hotel Spa Oasis.
I am delighted to know that you liked our rooms and you found the bed comfortable.
I would like to apologize if the service at the restaurant sometimes was a bit slow, it was because when you stayed at the hotel was full, in any case I am sorry for this inconvenience.
We have got renovated rooms and every season we got a newly renovated floor.
Once again, thank you for your comment and we hope to see you soon again at Son Caliu Hotel.

Kindest regards,

E-commerce

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
  • Polish first
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

Fabulous spa, great champagne breakfast, super staff and well located. Great for a girls getaway or a family vacation.
Staff were extremely helpful and friendly.
Plenty of choices between, beach, dock, pool and indoor pool.
Rooms are basic but do the trick.
Would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Dear vcmorson,

Many thanks for sharing your opinion about Son Caliu Hotel Spa Oasis on Tripadvisor.
I am delighted to read that you have enjoyed your stay with us.
Once again, thank you for choosing our hotel and I hope to get the opportunity to welcome you again.

Derbyshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

I stayed at this hotel 3 nights as a solo traveller. I had booked it via Travel Republic so was unsure what to expect. The check in was smooth and someone even took my bag to my room for me. The furniture in my room could have done with updating as could the decor, however, the room was extremely clean and had everything I needed. The bathroom was also wonderfully clean, with probably the fluffiest towels I have ever had. The products were of excellent quality too and the shower superb. All the public areas were lovely, well furnished and well kept. The food was also excellent quality. Breakfast was a buffet with a great range of choices from cereal to cooked to pastries. The evening dinner was a 3 course menu with a choice of main course, starters were buffet style as was desert. There was a lovely terrace with bar, where you could enjoy a drink whilst looking out onto the med. The pool was extremely well kept as were all the surrounding gardens. The beach was a stones throw from the pool and again well kept with plenty of free sun beds. I didn't use the spa but it appeared very popular. Every member of staff I came across was extremely helpful, in fact I haven't experienced that level of customer service in a hotel for quite some time. I will be returning to this hotel and will be recommending to friends.

• Stayed June 2013
SonCaliu, E-commerce at Son Caliu Hotel Spa Oasis, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
Dear BertieDerbyshire,

Thank you very much for taking the time writing your experience in our hotel.

I am most happy to learn you enjoyed your stay with us and that everything was to your satisfaction, I will be most happy to share your words with our team.

Thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back at Son Caliu Hotel Spa Oasis.

Kindest regards,
New Forest
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

I am not a sun/sea/sand person, so was unsure of Mallorca at all, let alone the resort or the hotel.

However I visited there off-season, and for a cycling holiday (Stephen Roche cycling holidays are based next door to this hotel), so I figured that as long as the hotel was comfortable I'd be fine. But I also took my non-cycling family, so thought that things like the spa facilities would appeal to them.

The highest compliment I can pay is to say that all three of us came away having had a wonderful time - not a very common experience when one of the party is a 13yo! Comfortable it certainly was, in addition the food was excellent, the staff friendly and happy to engage in conversation.

My daughter was very happy, since she was allocated a double room rather than the single we'd booked - and to have a room of her own is still a bonus for her. And we all made use of the excellent spa facilities - very good and very chilled.

Location-wise the hotel was perfect. Obviously ideal for my cycling, but also Son Caliu is a nice, small resort. My daughter was able to walk into Magaluf (which was the exact opposite of Son Caliu, but for some reason fascinated her) each day. But also my wife was able to take the bus into Palma (which is a beautiful city). We had a rental car, for longer excursions when I wasn't riding, which was easily parked in the surrounding streets.

Even for a late checkout to catch an evening flight, there was no hassle whatsoever. We're already planning to revisit Mallorca next year and I very much doubt we'll look beyond this hotel.

Room Tip: If a sea view is important, then it might be worth contacting the hotel about this. My wife and I ha...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
SonCaliu, E-commerce at Son Caliu Hotel Spa Oasis, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Dear hurf0rd,

Thank you very much for choosing to stay with us at Son Caliu Hotel Spa Oasis and for such a gratifying review.

We are extremely pleased to know that you and your family felt comfortable in our hotel and were happy with the service and facilities. Your comments will be shared with all the colleagues of the hotel whom you mentioned polite and helpful.

We do hope to see you again very soon and make your next stay as impeccable as you had your last stay.

Yours sincerely,
Marlow, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

We stayed at the Son Caliu Hotel from 15 to 22 June. The hotel is in a quiet location set in attractive landscaped grounds that are well maintained. The lounge areas were well furnished and sufficiently large to cope with what was close to a full complement of guests. We had a standard room which was a little dated in terms of decor but perfectly adequate. Hot water was more or less instant, irrespective of the time of day. The shower was particularly good. We understand more expensive rooms have been given a makeover. Despite the calm setting, the hotel is a five minute walk from the main road running through Palma Nova.

The pool is adequate, incorporating a small, safe area for kids. The hotel has direct access to a small cove with a beach. It is not the most user-friendly of beaches with a rocky surface under the water. There is a pontoon jetty that enables swimmers to enter the sea some twenty yards from the shore. Improvements were being made while we were there - a low wall between the sandy beach and the decked promenade was being finished off.

Breakfast at the hotel was reasonable with a good variety of options. We didn’t eat at the hotel for lunch or dinner but the reports were heard from other guests were positive. As you would expect from a large resort, Palma Nova has a good variety of restaurants, ranging from basic good value, to higher standard offerings.

Overall, we were pleased with the Son Caliu. The staff were friendly, helpful and informative. There were some weak spots – most notably the way beach towels were provided. Towels were issued to guests from a small hut next to the pool. But the hut was frequently unattended as the member of staff concerned had other duties to cover, so those wanting a towel had to wait. On the odd occasion they also ran out of towels altogether.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Eddie1219,

Thank you very much for taking a time to write such a detailed review and share it with all TripAdvisor travellers, it is very important for us as it helps us to improve every day a little bit more.

I am happy to know that you liked the hotel location and thank you for sharing your good impression of our hotel staff.

I feel bad to read that you found the room a bit dated. I would like to inform you that we dispose of renovated rooms.

I apologize to you if the hut for giving towels was unattended sometimes, I will take a note of this in order to improve this service.

Once again, thank you for your review and we hope to get the opportunity to welcome you again at Son Caliu Hotel Spa Oasis.

Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

I have just spent a wonderful birthday with my family in this brilliant hotel in a quiet and relaxing part of Palma Nova. The facilities at the hotel excellent. This was my second visit this year, and I was very pleased to be recognised and welcomed back by the gentleman on reception! We will definately return soon.

Room Tip: Choose a room on 5th floor
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear 261jane,

Many thanks for choosing Son Caliu Hotel Spa Oasis to spend with your family a so wonderful day as is as your birthday.
We are delighted to read that you have enjoyed our hotel facilities.
It was a pleasure taking care of you and we very much look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Sunderland, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

i have just returned from a long weekend in this beautiful hotel. most of my comments are good but there a few not so good. firstly the hotel is spotless, the beds were very comfy indeed, so a good night sleep was had by us all. my sister and i had planned a surprise birthday and the staff were very helpful to keep it a secret. as we were celebrating we may have been a bit noisy, and one of the other guests complained, a german lady, but it was only 3 o clock in the afternoon, so we thought that a tad unreasonable. the hotel is quiet and in a very quiet spot, so i don't think they like any noise at all, well when we 4 ladies get together we have a giggle, but this was frowned upon. the pool and private beach are stunning as are the grounds and gardens. the food is delicious and the champagne and orange at breakfast was very nice indeed. the mini bar is well stocked up but the prices are silly, a small bottle of fanta orange was around 3 euros. there is a flight of steps at the back of the hotel next to the reception but we didn't know so we walked all the way round. as we were celebrating a birthday we asked for an ice bucket and ice but were charged 5 euros, which we felt unreasonable as we had heard on this site that one man celebrating his birthday got a cake and champagne from management. overall i would recommend this hotel to any guests wanting complete relaxation and peace and quiet.

Room Tip: the room we had didnt have a very good view, i think you may have to book a superior room for a sea...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
SonCaliu, E-commerce at Son Caliu Hotel Spa Oasis, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Dear Jean M,

Thank you for staying at Son Caliu Hotel Spa Oasis and for taking the time in writing about your experience on TripAdvisor.

I am happy to know you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for your words regarding our service standards and food quality.

Once again, thank you for your comments and please note we take all our guests' feedback into consideration for future improvements.

We will be delighted to welcoming you back in the future.

E-commerce

Been to Son Caliu Hotel Spa Oasis? Share your experiences!