“Great...for the right people” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Son Caliu Hotel Spa Oasis

Save Saved
You added Son Caliu Hotel Spa Oasis to your Saves list
Son Caliu Hotel Spa Oasis
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Avenida Son Caliu 8 | Son Caliu, 07181 Palmanova, Calvia, Majorca, Spain   |
Offers & Announcements
Complimentary bottle of wine
Ranked #6 of 38 hotels in Palmanova
Hove
“Great...for the right people”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013 via mobile

As I sit in the taxi on the way back to the airport, I have mixed feelings about my stay at Son Caliu.

First things first, it is a beautiful hotel, not what you expect when you see the outside. The reception area and communal areas are vast and thoughtfully finished with plenty of seating in either the bar or the tranquil wifi area - more akin to the lounge of a country home with nicely thought out tables and chairs alongside plush sofas. The bar again is vast and has plenty of space, although it was not open during the day (there is an outside bar during the day)

Check in when was when I first had an irk with the hotel though. A couple before me were seen by a gentleman who explained to them in great detail about the restaurant, pool towels and local area. I was seen by another gentleman who barely said a word and gave me my room key with little more than a grunt. One showed great customer service and the other the complete opposite. Maybe as I am a young guy travelling on my own he didn't deem it important to give me information but in hindsight it would have been very useful to have known.

I went to my room, 463 which overlooked the front of the hotel. I really wanted a sea view so I decided to pay the extra 30 euros a night for this, probably not worth it but a nice room none the less. It was one of the superior rooms, 203. The rooms are a good size with double bed, TV and balcony. There is a minibar as well. On checking in, another couple were checking out and had minibar items on their bill that they hadn't used...the same happened with me so beware. I'm sure just a genuine mistake, I used the fridge to store beers bought from the nearby supermarket so confusion could have come from that. The bathrooms are the best part of the bedrooms, other than the shower curtain (I have a thing about shower curtains) they were lovely and the addition of decent toiletries helped. There is a safe in the room but you need to rent this per day.

The pool area is small but more than adequate for the hotel a d it was not crowded during my 5 days. The attendant is helpful and will move chairs for you if you want. The water was very cold but that's just down to the time of year and not the hotel's fault! There is a small beach just off the pool area which looked nice to sit at, I didn't purely because there was still work ongoing to finish decking the jetty which once completed will be a great feature. Plenty of sunbeds and parasols if needed. The restaurant in the hotel is expensive for lunch and dinner and as I was on b&b I ate out other than breakfast. Bamboo Beach is a little bar/cafe just off the beach and does great simple food and all reasonably priced. Great hospitality from the owner as well, would definitely recommend as somewhere to enjoy a cold drink overlooking the med! Breakfast was very good with a decent selection and a chef making omelettes and eggs on demand. The addition of a Nespresso machine is another nice touch which was enjoyed every morning!

I only drank in the bar once and it was fine, service was surprisingly slow given the number of people.

I used the spa every day and this is another huge bonus for the hotel. Decent swimming pool and a superb thermal area with a number of steam rooms and sauna along with an ice fountain!! Use it, it's cold but great! I had a couple of treatments (one for sunburn) and these are reasonably priced but the service at the spa in helping choose the treatments was great. A real gem.

The hotel is going to appeal to couples and families looking for a quiet retreat, in hindsight it's not the place for a single traveller as there is not a lot to do in son caliu other than sunbathe...my sunburn put paid to that!! I walked in to palma nova every day and this is a 5 min walk. A very touristy resort with a mix of restaurants, disappointingly more British or Indian or Italian than Spanish cuisine on offer.

So if you're looking for peace and tranquility in mallorca, son caliu is the place to go, if you want a bit of action, go to magalluf if you can face it!

• Stayed May 2013
SonCaliu, E-commerce at Son Caliu Hotel Spa Oasis, responded to this review, May 17, 2013
Dear customer,

First of all, many thanks for writing your opinion about our hotel. It is very important for us to know the opinions of all our guests in order to achieve improve a bit every day.
I want you to know that your review has been taken up internally to ensure that the right steps are implemented.
We hope to get the opportunity to serve you again at Son Caliu Hotel & Spa Oasis.

Kind regards,

424 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
  • Polish first
Stockport
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013 via mobile

As a travel agent I struggle to find the perfect hotel. (If there is such a thing). The son caliu is by far one of the best I have stayed in. I stayed bed & breakfast for 4 nights. The staff can't do enough for you. Breakfast was excellent so much on offer. Rooms are spacious and the complimentary toiletries are an added bonus. Loved the pool area and the private beach. Used the spa facilities which are free of charge every day. Only thing I would say is treatments are a little overpriced. But I can honestly say I really enjoyed my stay here. Thank you son caliu for an enjoyable stay.

• Stayed May 2013
SonCaliu, E-commerce at Son Caliu Hotel Spa Oasis, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Dear customer,

Thank you for spending time to give your opinion about our hotel. It is a pleasure for us to know that you have enjoyed your stay in Son Caliu.
We hope to see you soon again, don't hesitate to contact directly with us for your next visit.

newcastle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

We have just returned from a 4 night stay in the apartments at Son Caliu. This was our second stay here as we first visited Son Caliu 8 years ago. The apartments have a lovely sea front balcony with table and chairs, a dining area and small kitchen. The bedroom is large with plenty of wardrobe space. The apartments are very clean and there was maid service everyday and fresh towels. When staying at the apartments you are able to use all of the facilities of the hotel. The hotel itself is a 2 minuite walk from the apartments, all areas are beautifully well kept. The spa area is fabulous, there are various saunas and steam rooms and a lovely heated pool with water jet features and a jacuzzi area. The gardens at the back of the hotel are quiet and ideal for sunbathing. There is a small beach area outside the hotel which was currently undergoing work to make a new jetty. This was a bit noisy at times but im sure it will be finished in the next few weeks. If staying in the apartments there is a large Mercadona supermarket across the main road which sells delicious hot food such as paella and meatballs, ideal for picnics on the beach!
We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at Son Caliu and only wish we had booked for longer. The weather was lovely and warm and there are walks along to Palma Nova and also Portals nous where there is a lovely harbour area. We are already planning to go back next April. I would certainly recommend a stay at Son Caliu.

Room Tip: choose a first or second floor apartment for a sea view
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
SonCaliu, E-commerce at Son Caliu Hotel Spa Oasis, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Dear guest,

Many thanks for taking a few minutes of your time to write your opinion about your stay at Son Caliu and thank you for you kind comment about us. We are pleased to know that you have enjoyed your holidays with us. We are sorry if at the beach was a bit noisy some times, it was because the new project of our beach is under construction however this next week will be finished.
We hope to see you soon again at Son Caliu Hotel and don't hesitate to contact directly with us for your next visit.

Indianapolis, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

Stayed for two nights and enjoyed everything about this hotel. It's a short walk from the bus stop, the staff was very attentive and helpful. My room was quite and had a view of the ocean from the balcony and the bed was fairly comfortable. The hotel was very clean, the beach and pool area was small, but nice and we had no problem finding beach chairs for the day. I didn't have any issues with the wi-fi that other guests have mentioned. The included breakfast was very good with many of options and outdoor seating. There are many restaurants and bars within a 5-10 minute walk.

Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
SonCaliu, E-commerce at Son Caliu Hotel Spa Oasis, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
Dear customer,

Many thanks for taking your time to write an opinion about your stay in Son Caliu Hotel & Spa Oasis. We are very greatful for your good review.
It's a pleasure for us to hear that you had a nice (but short) stay in our hotel, we hope to welcome you back again and don't hesitate to contact directly with us for your next visit, we will offer you our best available rate.

Wales
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013 via mobile

We had a long weekend at this hotel.
Weather was fab and it was close to three big sandy beaches. Plenty of bars and restaurants within 5-10 minutes walk.
Hotel staff- extremely helpful!!
Hotel spa- plenty of spa rooms for free use.
Pool- outside pool was a bit cold so we didn't go in, but the indoor one was lovely and warm!
Hotel bedroom- old fashioned furniture, although bathroom was adequate. Thankfully it was very clean!
For the money we payed, this hotel is slightly overpriced for the look of it. If it is all being updated then I think it will be worth the money.
There is no jetty on the beach.. They must've knocked it down to rebuild it as workmen were on the beach when we were there.
Private beach area is very picturesque and relaxing with a couple of bar/restaurants attached.
Would we stay again? Possibly if it was seriously updated!
Overall a nice relaxing break.

• Stayed April 2013
SonCaliu, E-commerce at Son Caliu Hotel Spa Oasis, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Dear customer,

Many thanks for spending a few minutes of your time to give your opinion about your stay with us.
Thank you very much for your kind comment about our staff.
We are sorry to hear that you found the hotel a bit outdated, we will let it know to the management.

Please, don't hesitate to contact directly with us for your next visit, we will give you our best available rate.

UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

I will try not to repeat points in the Reviews immediately before this one.
So here are my additional points:

The standard of cleaning in this hotel is Excellent everything shines. There are several cleaners who do a superb job. And in a hotel cleanliness is very important. Well done!

The hotel I feel is suited to the older leisure traveller and indeed during my stay they formed the majority of the guests. There were no children of any age, however it was not school holidays. The very small private beach might be attractive to children up to and in their early years of schooling, older children would find it too small other than for sunbathing.

For business users there is sporadic wifi, in many areas it is weak even in my room. A connection is not easy to maintain moving around and I found I needed to login freshly each day when returning. The newly refurbished rooms look fashionable and on trend of modern hotels however i felt they were less suitable for business travellers for a few reasons- my room had a long shelf as a desk. There is a chair but no table light. The shelf is not really adequate as a desk since it is not deep enough. The bed in my room seemed new but consequently I felt it was quite hard. The worst feature, which might have related only to my room was the air conditioning, which seemed to have little effect even on coldest setting. I simply left the window open to cool the room instead. This might be a problem for a user of that room later in the year.
There was plenty of on street parking in the surrounding area when I went, but that was early April and not full season.
The food was great on the Gals dinner night but lacking on the other nights. The Full English breakfast was confined to the sausage bacon and eggs I could not see the other items one might expect to be included (fried or grilled Tomato mushrooms hash browns). Apart from that there was a large selection of bread cereal juice etc.
Drinks are not cheap in the hotel a 200ml of coke is about Euro 3.00 very close to beer prices. There's no tea and coffee facility in the rooms which the Brits seem to like!

I would return to the hotel but not with children and not if I had work in the evenings.

If you are a retired or keen golfer then this would definitely be a great choice of hotel which I doubt would disappoint. For others I am sure there might be hotels that fit better.

• Stayed April 2013
Dear guest,

Many thanks for giving us your opinion about your stay with us at Son Caliu Hotel & Spa Oasis, it is very important for us.
We are very sorry to hear that some of your expectations were not met with your stay with us.
In any case, once again thank you for your comments, we will still striving to achieve improved in the future.

Please don't hesitate to contact us directly for your next visit.

Catalonia, Spain
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

This is a very pleasant hotel, very well situated in a semi-residential area just 5 minutes walk from the beach and restaurants of Palma Nova. It is very well communicated with the whole island by car and a wonderful solution when you come with a family, a dog and a car.
The staff is very friendly - with the children, the dog and the adults - and helpful.
The installations are very nice (traditional luxurious hotel of the 60's with lots of open spaces with couches to relax, read or talk and marble everywhere).
Wonderful pools (indoor and outdoor), spa and possibility to attend fitness classes for free just across the street.
Very nice breakfast buffet (stops a little early though - at 10).
Our only regrets are the food at dinner (the hotel offers gala or gourmet dinners every night but the food is disappointing) and the music ... the hotel offers live music every night (a very nice idea) but the groups are old-fashion and not very entertaining. Some more dynamic groups - even for traditional music and for early rock and roll and soul music - would make a major difference.
The free wifi is of course very welcome - a must when you are travelling in order to organise your trips, especially with children who need a break on the internet after a day of walking or sight-seeing.
Overall, highly recommended !

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear customer,

Many thanks for choosing our hotel to spend your family holidays.
Thank you too for your kind comment about our staff.
We are sad to know that you were not glad with the dinner buffet and we will strive to improve in the future.

Once again, thank you for trusting us and don't hesitate to contact directly with us for your next visit we will offer you a competitive rate.

Best regards,

Been to Son Caliu Hotel Spa Oasis? Share your experiences!