“wonderful stay in April” 5 of 5 stars

Finca Hotel Son Palou
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Plaza de la Iglesia s/n, 07349 Orient, Majorca, Spain   |
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Orient
King's Lynn, United Kingdom
“wonderful stay in April”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

We stayed 2 weeks from 18 April in this beautiful finca in Orient overlooked on all sides by the Tramuntana mountain range and set above the Orient valley. The courtyard of the finca leads directly onto the small square by the Church of tiny Orient village which is designated a Mallorcan ancient monument. We love hiking and wildlife and walked every day except two directly from the finca, never using a car. A highlight walk is from the finca in the direction of Santa Maria through woods and deep gorges where en route there is an awe-inspiring cave named Avenc de Son Pou filled with stalactites and stalagmites (and bats although we did not see them). Another walk leads to a beautiful stream and waterfall. Another to the Castle of Alaro. We used the hotel bikes one day to bike to Alaro. For lovers of birds - there are nightingales, blackcaps and serins in the gardens and around the finca. A Scops owl sings every night. We also saw red kites, booted eagles (light and dark) and wood chat shrike as well as commoner species. There are swallowtail butterflies in the garden, feeding on the lilac flowers. Bliss! Marc and all his staff are brilliant - welcoming, friendly and very helpful. The breakfasts are delicious with lots of choice. We ate every night bar two in the finca's restaurant and the food and wine were consistently good with no repeat of the specials during the whole 2 weeks. We had suite 10 which was lovely with its own terrace and sun loungers. The spotlessly clean infinity pool, although a little chilly as it was only April, was lovely to swim in with its view over the valley and the mountains. For us a wonderful relaxing holiday and I was sad to leave. A very good Bunyola taxi service arranged by Marc transferred us from and to the airport at 55 euros per transfer. Catharine & Frank

Room Tip: We intend to stay again so saw a room of each category. All are individual and very good - if you...
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Uppsala, Sweden
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Enjoying a fabulous sunny afternoon by the infinity pool, surrounded by mountains, fields sprinkled with sheep and birds chirping in the lush gardens around me. Peace and tranquility at its best. Hotel lovely in every way, great rooms and friendly service (although no cava greeting upon our arrival... :( ). This is a slice of rural heaven complete with free wifi! Highly recommended! Orient is a quaint stone village woth visiting, with plenty of cyclists and hikers stopping by.

Stayed April 2015, traveled with friends
Hampshire, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

This Finca is the go-to place if you love peace, fantastic food, stunning views, excellent service, beautiful rooms and grounds. All staff were attentive, friendly and professional. A special mention for Marc, Ruth, Diana and Toni as we saw more of them than the others and were unfailingly helpful. We always enjoyed the food on previous visits anyway, but the new chef is excellent. Son Palou is the perfect place to return to after a busy day walking, sightseeing etc., but also to relax and luxuriate in wonderful surroundings. We will definitely return.

North West
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Our second visit to Finca Son Palou - stayed a couple of nights last year and were so impressed, decided to revisit for a longer break. Situated in the foothills of the Tramuntana mountains, Finca Son Palou enjoys breathtaking views. Mark and the team are friendly and helpful. Rooms are comfortable - atmosphere is relaxed and unfussy. Finca's restaurant is excellent - good choice and great value. Dinner, with wine comes in around €100 for two.

If you enjoy walking - you are definitely spoilt for choice ranging for easy gentle walks in the Finca's grounds which include a half hour walk to fast flowing stream - great place for a picnic - to more challenging walks in the mountain range - for example - to Lake Cuber. There you may be lucky to see Ospreys and Black Vultures.

Room Tip: Rooms with balcony overlooking the valley and the mountains are worth the additional cost
West Midlands, UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

This really is an amazing location and beautiful restoration of an old farmhouse and oil press, the rooms are well presented and to a high standard, You need a car to visit the place and good navigation skills are its not very clearly signed. A trip to Solar is a must.

The breakfast on the courtyard is nice but we were told we could not sit at one table in a rather rude way the first day we came down for breakfast, they mellowed out after a couple of days.

There are nice walks in the surrounding hills and a must visit is the restaurant next door (MANDELA) as the food was very very good.

We did have some issues with the manager, he seams quite incompetent and only in his job by the looks of it due to being the owners son, everytime i came across him in the grounds he was on his mobile having rather abrupt conversations with people.

I discovered that my contact lens (one day disposable type) had been thrown away by a maid while our room had been cleaned that afternoon, When we asked if we could check the Bin to find them we were told that this was not possible and was quite rude and told me that i must have just misplaced them as there staff would not do such a thing ! I unfortunately didnt have my spare glasses

We had a very early start the next day to drive and catch our flight home "in the Dark" down the very steep and curling roads, I was the only driver on the insurance and we had to pay for my wife to go on to the policy as i could not drive, this also worried her as the drive was not easy for someone not used to driving abroad. The manager did not seam to care and it spoiled the end of a nice little trip, customer service was not his thing.

They did leave us out some sandwiches which was a nice trip due to our early start but our tastes of the hotel were soured.

Room Tip: Follow the walks in the hotel guide, there are some amazing views and the mills in the hidden wooded...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
SonPAlou, Gerente at Finca Hotel Son Palou, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago
Dear Sir/Madam

Thank you for staying in Son Palou. It is a shame you value Son Palou for such comments relevant to my person
. For the future clients I would like to inform that the manager/ son of the house ,has been managing for 12 years this hotel increasing the quality and relevance since 2003 and winning 4 years the tripadvisor awards and another awards with trivago and Holidaycheck,.
For these reason I think I m not incompetent as you declare in your review but helps to the future readers to have an idea wihich type of client you are.

About your situation regarding the contact lenses. I investigated the situation with the maid room and she promised me that she did not throw anything. In fact she told me that she saw the contact lenses the previous days.( This fact makes me think that you loose them)

She has been with us around 9 years, so I really think she told me truth.

Inmediately I explained you the situation and the first thing you requested me were 50€ from my pocket as a compensation. It was very surprising for me that you requested me to pay to insurance a second person to be able to drive your car to the airport. It was unbeliveable.

I think it was not very polite from you and show me which type of things were looking for: DISCOUNTS . Believe me if it would have been our falt losing something which belongs to you We had had refund inmediately but sincerely I think you lost the lenses and you want to Son Palou refund them

About the table booking, it is truth we do not book table for breakfast to avoid situation as some clients have always the best tables... I think is reasonable.

Regarding phone callings... It is my work,I´m the manger and not always is very pleasant .

I hope my answer will be helpful for another clients.

Marc Colom Manager since 2003 from Finca Son Palou.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Beautiful, autentic and a quietness in superior surroundings. Small hotel and very charming. Fantastic Hiking in the Valley and Crossing the mountain to the next village. Dont miss the food and a glass of whitewine or try the obac 12 redwine in the restaurant. Perfect place for couples for relaxing.

Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2015

My husband and I spent a glorious week at this hotel in March 2015. Perfect location for exploring the Tramuntana mountains. The hotel staff could not have done more to make our stay enjoyable. We would have liked to have cycled with the hotel bikes, but they didn't have helmets. By the end of our holiday, Marc had ordered helmets, for future guests. Fabulous views from the hotel pool, could just imagine lazing around the pool in the beautiful summer.

• Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple

Been to Finca Hotel Son Palou? Share your experiences!