“Clean, average 3 star hotel” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Up to 40% discount
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Manacor
Kilmarnock, United Kingdom
“Clean, average 3 star hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013 via mobile

We stayed between 14th-21st of September this year, transfer tookn2 hours and after reading some review before we left we were anticipating a hovel, and we asked our travel agent to email the hotel to make sure we weren't put in balmoral, but sure enough that's where we were placed. A sweet wee spanish guy who spoke no english at all drove us a pointless 100 metres from the main hotel to balmoral, daft and a waste of time, but if it keeps someone in a job thats fine by me.Room 517 was impeccably clean, and was cleaned every day to a very high standard. We were above to bar and stage, which turned out quite well because we could just take a few drinks up to our big balcony and watch the evening entertainment from there. Entertainment was well reversed but not our taste, bit cheesy. Drinks choice was plentiful and varied, food was repetitive and often stone cold. We found most of the staff friendly, as were staff in local bars, and its common courtesy to at least try and speak the local language, even if its a jumbled up mess that makes little sense, they do appreciate it. Location was very quiet but beaches and views were beautiful. My fiancé and I are in our early 20s and found it would be better suited to an older couple (50s/60s) because it was quite dull after a few days, mostly because it was overcast when we stayed. I wouldn't stay here again as there just wasn't enough to keep us entertained.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (616)
  • Polish first
Blackpool, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

Stayed here for 4 nights in September. We were allocated a room at the Chihuahua's hotel. The room was basic but quite big and very clean. Had fantastic sea views. No air con but the ceiling fan did its job and with the patio door open there was a nice breeze coming in. The hotel itself is very dated, doesn't look like its been touched since the 70's! The lifts were a total nightmare and more often than not weren't working.

The food was ok. Always plenty of choice. A nice salad bar, choice of cold meats, chips, pasta, fresh meat cooked in front of you. The veg was always overcooked and mushy (gross!) and none of the food was hot, only ever luke warm. Got very bored with the food after 3 days and was so glad I didn't have to eat there much longer. The breakfast were always good though. The canteen staff were pretty rude. One day we went down for breakfast at 10am (they serve until 10:30am) and after 5 mins we were pretty much told to leave!

Swimming pool areas were nice enough, but swarming with really annoying wasps, which was due to lazy guests not putting their empty cups in the bin. The water in the pool was freezing! We never had a problem getting a sun lounger.

The entertainment was ok. The staff worked really hard to keep the kids there happy. Boogie nights was a lot of fun. The bar staff seemed pretty grumpy at first, but with a little coaxing ended up being a lot of fun (Juan in particular!). People just need to be polite and friendly with the staff, instead of rude and you'll get a great service and plenty of smiles! Watch out for the spirits, the staff make them very strong! At least 1/4 spirit 3/4's mixer, but some nights it was almost half and half!

We had a look around the Balmoral whilst we were there and I was glad we weren't staying in that hotel, its a dump and certainly not a 3 star!

The transfers to the hotel were fine, only took an hour. But the return was a nightmare, we were on the coach for 3 hours after collecting people from practically every resort on the east coast of Majorca! Horrible, would never do that again.

All in all I had a great holiday with a lot of laughs, but I wouldn't return to this complex. Actually I wouldn't return to the East coast of Majorca at all. The North of the island Puerto Pollensa/Alcudia/Soller etc.... are much nicer resorts and the whole area is more scenic.

Room Tip: Book a sea view room to ensure you are not allocated the Balmoral Hotel!
london
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for 5 nights and that was enough. Hotel very dated. Food ok. Resort is very touristy and did not have anything traditional. The one thing I recommend you go and see is the san amor show absolutely fantastic and well worth the money. Spent a day in Palma and that was great. I would not go back to that part of menorca or that hotel.

• Stayed September 2013
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

I travelled in a group of 11 adults all inclusive holiday in September 2013. We waited ages for cases at airport, transfer took 2 hours then booking in at the hotel was a lengthy process. Considering it was such a short flight what a lot of stress.

Coming home was worse as it seemed hundreds of people were all going home the same day. No reps from any travel company present meant Spanish drivers had to bear the burden. Everytime a new coach arrived the poor driver was virtually attacked by the baying crowd wanting to know if he was taking them to the airport!! No wonder they suddenly lost the ability to speak or understand English! No one it seemed had us on their list so we were stranded!! Drastic action meant that basically we stormed the last coach and demanded to be taken to the airport!!

We were all given rooms in Chihuahuas except two of the group who were booked into Balmoral. I graciously accepted an invitation to visit the 'two' in their cell (sorry room) in prison (sorry Balmoral) - enough said!!

Our room was ok, that's it, not good not bad - just ok. Ceiling fan was a joke I would hate to be there when its hot. Bathroom was a good size, and we had clean towels every day. We had three sockets and one in bathroom but no fridge as this was a payable extra. One extra I could of done without payable or otherwise was the additional bed companion!! Silverfish!! I had already found one in the bathroom, I didn't mind showering with the little creatures but I draw the line at wanting to sleep with them as well!!

The staff- they hate us don't they!! What greedy gits us English are! We pay all inclusive we want our money's worth. Well that's ok as long as you don't go down for a snack just before evening dinner commences. You will be greeted by panic stricken staff who don't like you upsetting their routines, will be given a ten minute warning to exit, you will be told where to sit, DO NOT look at, let alone touch the evening food- I think you could possibly loose an arm if you did!!

All in all the staff were unhelpful and downright miserable but I guess all inclusive means no tips so why be nice?

Sunbeds were locked up and released at approx 8am each day, that was a fight I didn't consider worth being involved in- the beaches aren't far away and much nicer than laying 5 inches away from a stranger.

Give this resort a miss - there much nicer, value for money places to go all inclusive or otherwise.

• Stayed September 2013
northumberland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

Just arrived back from a week here. Only a few on the coach and dropped off first so transfer here about an hour and twenty minutes however return trip went all over the place so took almost three hours but having read previous views it was expected so fine.
Only a few dropped off so checked it straight away but did seem to take longer than check ins in the past. Were sent to Balmoral up the road. Apparently they have a mini bus to transport you but we were not offered this.(An elderly couple we spoke to later used the mini bus but driver refused to help with cases however I must say I did see a young driver helping others another day).
We were in room 705 top floor which overlooked the stage so good view for the shows and we could see the sea so happy with that.Room only had 2 sockets 1 of which was in ithe bathroom
as was the only mirror.Cleaners always friendly but no cleaning done at all. Bins emptied,toilet rolls replenished and shower curtain pulled closed was all. No surfaces wiped or floor swept. Bedding was changed during our stay.(I always make my bed but as a rule the cleaners normally straighten it up but not here).
Resteraunt was like a canteen but food ok.Chef always cooking on hot plate ie steak, salmon. fish ,stir fry so quite a good choice. English breakfast every morning for those who like it.Fresh omelettes and fried eggs while you wait as well as cereal/continental style breakfast. Staff very hard working and pleasant.
Bar staff did sometimes seem morose but worked very hard too and mostly polite.Very good choce of drinks but they always put 2 ice cubes the size of golf balls in drinks so if you want to get a bit merry ask for just 1.
My biggest gripe was the non existance of ash trays. I am a non smoker but my friend does smoke and there are NONE!!!. So the floor area was always covered in fag ends and what were once flower pots full of fag ends.The outside tables were never cleared or wiped and half empty cups just used as ash trays.So you sat at a dirty table covered in spills which attracts the many wasps and looked at plastic cups with floating ciggy butts.
Last year we stayed in a hotel in Cala Dor and everytime someone left a table it was wiped and a clean ashtray put down. Sadly not here. But it has to be said it is just to big with not enough staff to be able to do this.Non on room balconies either.
On our last day a rather loud party seemed to arrive. 1 male in particular had a voice you could hear up on our balcony and his language was shocking .1 of the females sat with him seemed to laugh at every thing he said and her cackle was as loud. No consideration for the kids or other guests around. Ok so you may not have paid a fortune for this holiday but if its all you can afford do you really want to put up with this.
Only reception in Chuahaha hotel but i did ring down and ask for extra pillows and they arrived in 15 minutes so good service there.
Lifts very dodgy. If your not quick enough they just close on you.We saw it happen to 1 man who was able to push doors open but god help if it had been an elderly person. The lifts dont have sensors like here where you wave a hand and it opens again. Be very careful.
Entertainment so so but too many guests not enough seats or space.Bingo caller most irritating.
Calas de Mallorca itself a nice place with some lovely little bars/restaraunts.
Complex just to big for me. I prefer smaller more friendly surroundings.
Would I return NO but lots of people seemed to be enjoying it so it's down to personal preferences.

Derry' Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

there was 7 of us staying in balmoral hotel the rooms were very small and very stuffy. no fridge for water drinks etc. food was of average meat was very tough and very chewy a lot of food under cooked chips etc. two of my friends had a large RAT in there room and staff found this very funny. This had been there for sum time as when I looks behind the headboard there was a lot of rat dung. I checked behind the headboard in my room and there was also rat dung. we were there for 6 days and the beds hadn't been changed once. there is plenty of wee shops but they all sell the same things. took over 2hours to get to from the airport. will never be back to this complex again was so glad to get home

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Sheffield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

We visited at the end of peak summer season in September 2013 and stopped in the Chihuahua building. For the price we paid, the hotel was fantastic and faultless. The transfer was 1.5 hours but not a problem of the hotel itself. The hotel was dated but aren't all 3* Spanish hotels? Everywhere was spotlessly clean, including the bedroom and eating area. We had a lovely little balcony to relax on and a big bathroom. The food was brilliant, plenty of choices each day with fresh salmon, pork, chicken, beef, rabbit etc and chips etc for the more fussy eaters which were all restocked at various points throughout the service. The nighttime entertainment wasn't amazing, but for what we paid I can't complain! Overall an amazing visit to Majorca, and the beautiful beaches 10-15 minutes walk in either direction are amazing - visit the beach to left on a tuesday evening for the Hawaiian beach party!

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Complejo Calas de Mallorca Resort? Share your experiences!